Boarding Your Greyhound

Guest laura150

Guest Doggone

I, too, have a big dilemma regarding Autumn's care while I'm away in December. :(

Here are the options:

A regular boarding place (I'd ask her vet for recommendations).

There are people who offer to dog-sit in one's home.

There is a "greyhound"-oriented boarding place, in someone's home (which had been recommended by the placement person in Autumn's adoption group).

There are wonderful greyhound people who swap care on vacations.

Here are my "problems" with each:

I'm afraid Autumn would feel abandoned in an impersonal boarding facility, and if it was noisy, it would stress her terribly.

I'm not comfortable having having someone stay in my home while I'm away.

The greyhound-only place is very far away.

As a senior, living in a small place, I couldn't reciprocate, even though this would be the most convenient.

Autumn is a very calm, laid-back 7-year-old, with very little interest in other dogs or play (or even running). She doesn't go up on furniture, and rarely needs correction. She doesn't have any health issues, so that wouldn't be a concern. She doesn't seem very curious about most of the world.....neither people, other animals, nor much of anything else. She'll look, watch, and then disregard.

Given her nature, and my concerns, any advice would be appreciated. (I must admit that I have never, ever, had this much emotional tension about boarding any of my previous dogs.......BUT ........they were not greyhounds! :D)

How far away are we talking with a greyhound only place. It may be you have to leave autumn one day earlier and later if it is a long ride. To me it would be worth it. Heck I drive 2 hours total for dentals for an experienced grey vet.

Edited by zimsmom

We drive @ an hour and a quarter to leave our hounds at greyhound person's home (GTer Cully). The home and yard are very secure. There is someone home nearly 24/7. They know greyhounds. They know about muzzles, proper collars, home first aid vs. vet visit stuff. They'll feed whatever I want and know how to give meds if necessary. Their own hounds and other boarders are generally very easygoing and accepting of newbies. There are plenty of soft beds, toys, a crate if anybody wants one ..... My hounds know and like them -- more of a fun vacation for them than "boarding." It's a huge relief to be able to leave our pets in an environment like this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you zimsmom and Batmom for your input. I've been leaning towards that solution, even if it'd mean an extra couple of days. Given that Autumn isn't much of an interactive dog with other breeds, I do think she'd feel more comfortable among greyhounds (although she's fairly indifferent around them, too :D). I'll research it a bit more, and if I still feel good about it, that's what I'll probably choose.

Laura150, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I was going to ask about boarding next month, but when I saw this thread, I hopped aboard. ;)

Thank you zimsmom and Batmom for your input. I've been leaning towards that solution, even if it'd mean an extra couple of days. Given that Autumn isn't much of an interactive dog with other breeds, I do think she'd feel more comfortable among greyhounds (although she's fairly indifferent around them, too :D). I'll research it a bit more, and if I still feel good about it, that's what I'll probably choose.

Laura150, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I was going to ask about boarding next month, but when I saw this thread, I hopped aboard. ;)

I just wanted to add that a lot of people who offer sitting swap services (myself included) wouldn't expect you to reciprocate. For example, I'm sitting for my friend's dog for nine days this month at my home. She only has one grey, and I know that there probably won't ever be a time where she'd be comfortable managing hers plus my two. So instead of swapping, I just asked for a small fee. It ended up being half of what she'd pay at the kennel. A few years ago I had a GT'er watch my guys when we went to a wedding in New Jersey. I think it was $20 a day (per dog). And at the time, I was so relieved I did because Truman had happy tail. She knew exactly what to do and even wrapped his tail for us.

That's an option I didn't consider since I know I couldn't manage another dog in a swap.

I'm not sure if it'd be available here in Austin, but it would be a very convenient solution. I'm going to look into it; thank you for suggesting it :).

I just wanted to add that a lot of people who offer sitting swap services (myself included) wouldn't expect you to reciprocate. For example, I'm sitting for my friend's dog for nine days this month at my home. She only has one grey, and I know that there probably won't ever be a time where she'd be comfortable managing hers plus my two. So instead of swapping, I just asked for a small fee. It ended up being half of what she'd pay at the kennel. A few years ago I had a GT'er watch my guys when we went to a wedding in New Jersey. I think it was $20 a day (per dog). And at the time, I was so relieved I did because Truman had happy tail. She knew exactly what to do and even wrapped his tail for us.

Guest laura150

I'm nervous about boarding Ernie! He is going to his rescue place which is awesome, I just wonder, it's been 3 weeks since we had him. Will he think he's being brought back? Will he be nervous there, not knowing why he left them? I know dogs don't really think like that; I think the anxiety and guilt is on me. Hopefully he has a great time with other greyhounds.

Have others have experiences on how their greyhound did the first time they were boarded and away from their home?

For awhile, when we first got greyhounds, my friend--who had two--would watch ours. We couldn't reciprocate, because her dogs were not cat safe, until we decided to send our cat to "Camp Grandma" for that time period. The cat adjusted well to my in-laws house (they had no pets), and we were then able to watch our friends' dogs. Even when we didn't reciprocate, though, she was happy to watch ours--with no thought of payments, either. She was a true gem. She loved our dogs just like her own. :wub:

She has no greyhounds now, only a cat, and she's offered to have me bring Phoebe down and see how her cat reacts--in case we need a sitter. She'd watch Phoebe even without having a greyhound, so long as her cat agrees. She's one of those people (the first, actually) who I met through the whole greyhound-adopting-thing, and she is still, over 12 years later, a great friend.

I'm nervous about boarding Ernie! He is going to his rescue place which is awesome, I just wonder, it's been 3 weeks since we had him. Will he think he's being brought back? Will he be nervous there, not knowing why he left them? I know dogs don't really think like that; I think the anxiety and guilt is on me. Hopefully he has a great time with other greyhounds.

Have others have experiences on how their greyhound did the first time they were boarded and away from their home?

As I said above, our dogs were always left in our friend's care. They adjusted quickly--they already knew her and her dogs since we walked together almost daily--but were always thrilled to see us when we got back.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I board, when necessary, at a greyhound-only place. It's a home environment with her own 6 greys and other campers. The first time I went I had only had Summer for... 6 months? I was anxious and worried, too. I could hardly bear to drop her off and stayed talking for far too long. She thoroughly enjoyed herself "at camp" but, much to my delight, she was thrilled to see me when I got there. Once the leash was on, she went to the door and was ready to go. The only difference is we had had her a bit longer than you and she knew the 6 resident dogs from greyhound playgroup.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Wasserbuffel

The first time we went out of town after getting Jayne was 1.5 years after adoption. She stayed with a friend who fostered greys and had a mix breed that Jayne was friendly with. Jayne was not happy at all at night. She cried worse than most fresh off the track dogs. My friend, luckily for her, was also watching my cats and poultry, so she had a key to my house. She ended up taking Jayne back to our house at night where she slept happily. Friend would come get her in the morning when she came to look in on the other animals, and Jayne would spend the day at her place.

Now when we leave we just block Jayne into the kitchen with her beds and toys. We have a friend stop in a few times a day to let her out, and feed her. It's generally only once a year for a couple days. She's much, much happier with this arrangement than she was being taken somewhere else.

Your dogs might surprise you, Barbie has proven to be very versatile. She has even settled right in to staying at the vets after her op, according to the ward nurse.... who seems like she has totally fallen under her gentle greyhound spell ;) might have to fight the nurse to get her back lol

Guest laura150

Ernie did great at the kennel! We boarded him at the rescue place where we got him from. He was SO HAPPY to see us and was bouncing around for the rest of the day.

It was nice to have that one out of the way. What a relief.

Guest kalzanetti

Right now I have 2 whippets and in the process of adopting grey. We board them at our vets office and do playtimes 3 times a day when we go on vacation- 1 time a year. I feel safer with them there than having someone come over and be in charge of them. I worry too much if they got loose, they wouldn't come back. Going forward I met one of my son's classmates mom and her uncle has a boarding place that he lives at with a fence and may look into that option. Or I may have a co worker of mine that I trust come and stay. We work at an emergency animal hospital, so I know she would know if they got sick or were "off".

Guest maidmarcia

DO NOT DO A COMMERCIAL KENNEL.

(Unless they are specifically for greyhounds.)

I had a HORRIBLE experience with a kennel in my city. I left him there for four days and when I went to pick him up, his blanket was soiled with urine and chunks of feces were inside of it. Not to mention, I'm almost 100% sure she put them in their graveled runs all day. It's extremely hard for my boy to get up and lie down (he's not very agile) so I imagine he probably just stood there for large parts of the day.

I was extremely upset with the lady and we had a full blown argument about some other stuff as well. I never went back.

What I recommend is talking to someone from your local greyhound group. I met a woman through my group who took care of Licorice for $15/day and she did an AMAZING job. She had three other greys at the time so they all had fun running around and playing. She roasted a chicken for him. He was so spoiled, he didn't want to come back home. She knew all the needs (dog beds everywhere, stuffies, lots of water, treats, zoomies, etc) and she is my go-to person.

Guest Cardiffcouple

By any chance are you in San Diego, Orange County (CA), Riverside County (CA) or Nashville? There is a terrific pet sitting business called Dogs on the Run. We have used them for years for our pets and check with April (the owner) before we book any vacation. One of her pet sitters will check in on pets or stay overnight; whatever you need. It is a terrific company should you be anywhere close to them.

Guest laura150

No, we are in MA. We decided to board Ernie at his rescue where they board greyhounds and they are excellent!

Thank you for your suggestion though!

• 2 years later...

A friend with a newly adopted female GH, soon to be 3 years old needs a daycare solution for one day every 3 weeks. She lives in the Atlantic City, NJ area and travels to the Marlton, NJ area for an all day appointment. She could drop off and pick up to and from Marlton if that works. Dog is cat friendly and GH friendly as well...I fostered her for a couple of months before she found her home. She wouldn't do well crated all day and would enjoy the company of people anyway. Commercial doggie daycare not really desirable, preference is for a GH friendly home. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

A friend with a newly adopted female GH, soon to be 3 years old needs a daycare solution for one day every 3 weeks. She lives in the Atlantic City, NJ area and travels to the Marlton, NJ area for an all day appointment. She could drop off and pick up to and from Marlton if that works. Dog is cat friendly and GH friendly as well...I fostered her for a couple of months before she found her home. She wouldn't do well crated all day and would enjoy the company of people anyway. Commercial doggie daycare not really desirable, preference is for a GH friendly home. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

You or she might try posting on the Greyhound Sitters Exchange page on Facebook (you'll have to join the group first to post there): https://www.facebook.com/groups/362259110628359/

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart