Boarding Your Greyhound

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

We need to board Ernie in a few weekends and wanted to get people's opinons on the best situations for boarding their hounds.

Should we use a kennel vs. a pet sitter (at someone's house)?

He gets along with other dogs and if we were to use a kennel he'd have his own room. However, would a hound prefer to be in a home sleeping near a person so that they aren't alone?

We have the option to do both and have reviewed both an excellent kennel and dog sitter.

Thoughts?

Some greyhounds don't do well in an all-dog kennel, others do. Ask if he will have playtime with other dogs, large and small, or one-on-one time with an employee instead.

If you have a dogsitter, is your yard fenced? Are leash walks mandatory or could he forgo them for a weekend? If your dogsitter walks him educate him/her on martingale collars and escape potential.

Editing to add: Could Ernie spend the day at the kennel facility and you may get a better idea of how he'll enjoy it.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Scarter55

We have a dogwalker who housesits for us. He will be watching the house for a couple weeks soon. This works out well for us, as we also have two cats. So even if we put Lady in a kennel, we would have to get someone to feed the cats. We have never been able to be comfortable a kennel, but perhaps we are being overprotective. If you have a dogwalker or friend who you trust to watch the pup and your house (or at their house) than I would do that, but to each his own.

Guest laura150

Great idea with the day visit to the kennel. I will try that out this week! They offer daycare so that's a great idea. Thanks!

There is a dog walker that offers in home pet care and also pet care at their house. They take care of a couple of greyhounds already so they know about the collars, never being off leash and getting good walks.

I have gone back and forth on this topic, and eventually decided to go with our local pet resort if my hound can't come with me. Each hound will be different, but because Luna is such a shy dog and really doesn't let anyone near her except for a very select few people, I feel better about her being at a boarding kennel. The kennel she goes to is double, and even triple-fenced in some areas, so I feel more peace of mind knowing that it would be nearly impossible for her to escape. It took me a long time to get to know what triggers her fears and how to respond to her reactions, and I think I would spend my time away worrying about her if she stayed with someone or had someone stay with her. The only people she'd ever feel good about staying with are my parents, but unfortunately, they're 1000 miles away. Everyone will have a different opinion on what you should do with your hound while your away, but ultimately, choose what will make you more comfortable based on your individual dog.

Edited by schultzlc

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

the problem w/ kennels is the dogs bark all night, it's not like a track kennel which is quiet and the lights are out pretty early.many of the greys drop a lot of weight in a generic kennel situation, even w/ extra food. if you can board him at someone's house and feel comfortable and can find such a person that is a win-win situation. a dog sitter will be there at night, i don't know how much you are home during the day. most likely that person is off walking other dogs or working during the day. i have done all of the above.dog sitters in the ny area are $$$$.

each dog is different, my current greys do really will w/ home boarding even though it's a mass of dogs. the person i use is organized, has a regular schedule and doesn't take any bull- it's just what they need. i mention her name, ears are up, tails-a-waggin, and they are at the door. she must be doing something right.

as mentioned above, once you post your location, gters can help locate someone who boards in their home or dog sitters.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Scarter55

I've also considered getting a GPS tracker for Lady, particularly for when we are gone. There are least a couple of other threads on using these. That would put my mind to rest about her getting out and being able to find her. Plus, I would be able to see where she goes, what she does each day (sorta like a nanny cam I guess, creepy?). Didnt' get that in time for our upcoming vacation, but might for the future.

Depends so much on the hound. Our first did far, far better in a commercial kennel than boarding in a friend's house. He honestly thought he'd been given away and was shocked to see us back. It was so sad. I never wanted do that to him again. We got him a companion shortly afterwards and they did really well kennelled up together in a nice commercial kennel. Susan didn't really care where she was so long as someone cared for her and gave her love.

Renie, his new companion, HATED going back to the race kennel. She loved the people, but there was no way on earth she wanted to be back there.

Jack LOVED commercial kennels. We'd pop him and Renie in the door, Renie would hang around poking her nose at us to get more pets before we left, Jack wouldn't look back; he'd be off exploring his new domain. In and out of the door to the run, up and down on the bed, sniffing in all the corners. He was definitely an adventurer.

Sid adores going back to stay at the race kennel. He never looks back either - he's in the door and finding a bed as soon as I take his leash off (they live in the house with the house dogs) but Jeffie isn't not so sure. He's OK once we've left and usually snags an armchair for himself, but he gives us the sad eyes. I think he'd hate a commercial kennel too.

To be frank, I've had very mixed experiences with boarding kennels. One horrible, horrible place (supposedly the 'best' in the city) took their duvets away in December because 'they got muddy'. And I sent spares so they could be washed! Jim came back with a sore nose from trying to make his bare plastic bed comfortable, and I was LIVID. Susan, who boarded with him was actually sick at the time with kidney problems and they did NOT care for her well. I found them a much better place after that, but it's such a gamble.

Myself, I don't feel happy getting someone here to care for them either. People who aren't used to the house or the dogs can get things badly wrong, and I would worry ALL THE TIME that they'd gone out for too long, or had let them escape etc. I'm happier when they're with their old trainer. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Barbie does well in the kennel. We go to a small one, took a couple of gos to find one who understood greyhounds. They don't bark all night at this one, the kennel owner has grown up running boarding kennels and he knows how to keep the dogs happy. He does do 'playtime' where he matches dogs up with different playmates and I trust him, he picks good playmates for both my dogs. He loves Barbie so much he often follows us right out to the car when we check the dogs out as he wants to say goodbye. He doesn't do that with any of the other dogs I've seen lol

Considering he's had issues with SA, I wouldn't board him. Even though their websites sound real enticing, kennels are usually just concrete runs lined up next to one another. They dog is alone, but can hear other dogs barking all day long. Putting him in that kind of situation could really exacerbate his anxiety. IMHO, boarding kennels are fine for "heartier" dogs, but I've known many people (myself included) to have less than ideal experiences boarding their greyhounds. The first and only time I boarded Henry, he lost several pounds and was even more skittish than before. I agree with Maggie- see if there's someone on Greytalk who can watch him. Either that, or go the petsitter route.

Of course it depends on the dog, as others have said. We have been blessed, over the past 12 years, to have wonderful friends who also had greyhounds, and we'd trade dog sitting with them.

The best part was knowing that while we were away, we did not have to spend one minute worrying about our dogs. We knew they were being loved and cared for.

Now that we have a dog again, turns out our friends who used to watch our dogs are going to be moving to Arizona--might be next year, or who knows. Not sure what we'll do then....:(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest laura150

Thanks for all of the responses!

We live in Dorchester, MA a part of Boston.

I am going to board Ernie at his great rescue shelter in Mendon, MA. They board other greyhounds and he felt safe there and had a great time with the other greyhounds. Even though it's a far drive (about an hour) I will feel better and have more peace of mind than in a commercial kennel since he's such a sensitive boy.

I'll watch your girl. You're not that far from me. :)

:nod Alicia will be watching James for us in October. She's really put our minds at ease knowing James' routine will be relatively unchanged while we're away.

Guest GalgoMom

Hi Laura, I see you are from MA - I have had AWESOME experiences with Paws In Play in Canton, MA.

My galgo goes there for daycare once a week, and he recently had his first overnight there. They are very accomodating - my galgo cannot be crated, and an employee stayed overnight with him in a room with a bed. They sent me pics of him all curled up alseep - it went a long way towards easing my mind :)

Sounds like you found a great solution boarding your boy in Mendon!

I'll watch your girl. You're not that far from me. :)

:nod Alicia will be watching James for us in October. She's really put our minds at ease knowing James' routine will be relatively unchanged while we're away.

Well, thanks for the offer!! Not sure when we'll need a sitter, but I will definitely keep it in mind!

Where are you located, Alicia?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Arielle

I wouldn't recommend a commercial kennel. I just recently picked my grey up from being boarded for two weeks. The kennel was at her regular vet's office and they are always busy, so I thought it would be fine. I sent her bed and blanket with her and once I left I called twice a week to check on her. Each time whomever I spoke to assured me that she was doing fine and she was eating. When I went to pick her up, she looked absolutely horrible. She had dropped seven pounds according to the scale, was covered in pressure sores (apparently the kennel workers had taken her bed away because she got it dirty and so she was forced to sleep on the concrete floor), and she had a mysterious reddish brown stain all over her face that won't come off. I wouldn't have boarded her if my trip hadn't been so last minute and I was able to find someone to care for her at my house, and I certainly will never do so again.

I know that this falls under the "horror story" category and that it really does depend on the individual dog's temperament, but I have heard of other people with greyhounds having similar experiences. I would try my hardest to find an in-home pet sitting service. Good luck!

Guest goofydog

I'm fortunate to have two homes(camps) that Get Em can stay at when I travel, often on short notice. He adores GTer kudzu's and another non-GT member's homes, yards and other hounds! He is an only at home and appears to enjoy the company while I'm away, however when I pick him up it's like he's ready to be home and an only again! Both camps know they have full say in taking him to the vet or e-vet if needed and know what lengths I would go to if I was home. It works wonderfully for us.

In the early days I did board him at the vet's office in FL and again when we moved to GA but it's just not the same as having him in a grey saavy home with friends who have known him for years.

So glad you've found a good solution!

I wouldn't recommend a commercial kennel. I just recently picked my grey up from being boarded for two weeks. The kennel was at her regular vet's office and they are always busy, so I thought it would be fine. I sent her bed and blanket with her and once I left I called twice a week to check on her. Each time whomever I spoke to assured me that she was doing fine and she was eating. When I went to pick her up, she looked absolutely horrible. She had dropped seven pounds according to the scale, was covered in pressure sores (apparently the kennel workers had taken her bed away because she got it dirty and so she was forced to sleep on the concrete floor), and she had a mysterious reddish brown stain all over her face that won't come off. I wouldn't have boarded her if my trip hadn't been so last minute and I was able to find someone to care for her at my house, and I certainly will never do so again.

I know that this falls under the "horror story" category and that it really does depend on the individual dog's temperament, but I have heard of other people with greyhounds having similar experiences. I would try my hardest to find an in-home pet sitting service. Good luck!

That's EXACTLY what happened to my two at this horrible kennel in December. Jim had sores, not just on his nose, though that was the worst. I felt so guilty, having enjoyed myself on holiday in the sun, unaware that my dogs were suffering like that. I had a flat out argument with the guy when I picked them up because when I complained that they'd had their duvets taken away and told him that greyhound need soft beds (especially my sick girl and arthritic old guy) he got snotty and said 'Oh, so you thing your greyhounds are better than my danes, do you?' Ye gods ...

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

and she had a mysterious reddish brown stain all over her face that won't come off.

Sounds like red yeast. It's from food. I'll bet they fed your girl a different food. A lot of kennels have a hard time keeping everybody's food straight, so they feed them whatever they have lying around... Or they'll charge you some ridiculous fee just to give their normal food.

Thanks for all of the responses!

We live in Dorchester, MA a part of Boston.

I am going to board Ernie at his great rescue shelter in Mendon, MA. They board other greyhounds and he felt safe there and had a great time with the other greyhounds. Even though it's a far drive (about an hour) I will feel better and have more peace of mind than in a commercial kennel since he's such a sensitive boy.

Good idea! They are a greyt kennel and Diane does greyt work! :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest OPointyDog

We board ours with Zoe's physical therapist. She's a vet, and they have boarding for dogs that are in therapy, but also have boarding for other dogs. The dogs LOVE it there. Instead of kennels, they have suites, that are each separate and made with picket fence material, so the dogs can see each other. Zoe and Mika are in one suite together, and it's bigger than our living room. They have paddocks, pastures, playtime, and 5 walks a day! They are in heaven. They are taken care of by LVTs and there is a vet on the premises 24 hours a day, so I know they are well taken care of and if there's a problem they will get immediate care. It is pricy but everything is included - they even refill kongs, give Mika his B12 shots, and will do hot compresses on Zoe when she's sore.

Not all kennels are bad - ask around with other dog owners in your area and maybe you'll find a hidden gem somewhere.