Took the dogs to the park today and they both had a good run. After they ran, I noticed that Lea's hind legs were shaking. She could walk, but when she stood still, her rear legs would start shaking again. She didn't seem bothered by it and didn't sink to the ground or anything. She will be ten in January. I give fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin supplements. Is this a sign that she over exerted herself? Is it a sign she is getting too old to run anymore? She gets two good walks a day and usually runs 2 to 3 times a week.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Our 12.5 y/o grey girl Darcy has a rear leg that shakes. It started a couple of years ago. Her leg starts shaking whenever she is standing up for more than a minute. Our vet diagnosed her with essential nerve tremors. It doesn't seem to bother her in the least. She has no issues running up/down stairs, walking, running in the yard, hopping on furniture, etc. Darcy is our oldest and most active.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

My almost 11.5 yo girl now gets shaky legs if she gets really excited or runs too much. There's no obvious weakness though I do think the shaking itself can be an indication of weakness. I just let her take things at her own pace & don't restrict her but I do keep an eye on the leg shaking. Right now it's predictable & not getting any worse. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet exam but if Lea is older I don't think I'd be rushing off to the vet just yet.

The shaking disturbs me just because it seems part of the package of my girl aging. It's hard to believe my little spitfire has become an old lady. How did that happen?

My 11 year old (non grey) also has one back leg that sometimes shakes. Usually it's if she's overly excited or standing alert watching something, but I have definitely been noticing it more in the past year. She doesn't have any stiffness/signs of arthritis at all even after long exercise (unless this is the early beginning of it?). She is on a liquid joint/herb supplement and loads of fish oil.

no advice just sending kissies and hugs to Larry's Mom!!!! :grouphug:kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Four of my five greys have this issue--all are over 10. Usually walking around helps a bit. Lying down is even better.

It bothers me more than them.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest cruzNhounds

no advice just sending kissies and hugs to Larry's Mom!!!! :grouphug:kiss2

Yes...and extra cookies for Lea. Hmm :huh2 maybe it a ploy for more :dogcookie. <_<

Edited by cruzNhounds

Maddie has the shakes too. She is 11. When we go on our therapy dog visits and her leg shakes, we refer to her as her Elvis leg.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Maddie has the shakes too. She is 11. When we go on our therapy dog visits and her leg shakes, we refer to her as her Elvis leg.

Carly, age 10, has this too and what's even funnier is she's a grinner and she often does a lopsided grin with her lip raised mostly on one side. I've always laughed and called it her Elvis impersonation. :D

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

A friend's grey gets the shakes when he gets excited and has been running around a lot. It does look a bit unnerving but it doesn't bother him at all and seems harmless enough.