Loose Poops - Running Out Of Ideas...

Guest rgdaniel

I know I've heard time and time again that when you've switched to a food that was effective, it was effective right away, within a day or two...

The information I gave above isn't a theory. Have you discussed this with your vet? He will tell you that the number one cause of gastroenteritis in dogs stems from what is referred to as "rapid switching" where owners switch the dog's food too suddenly or too many times. A food switch is hard on the dog's GI system. If you research allergies and intolerances in pets, you'll find that it takes 1-3 weeks to see initial improvements, with overall improvement by 4-6 weeks. Some even recommend that you continue for at ten weeks. VERY RARELY will you see an immediate improvement overnight. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but obviously, what you're doing currently is not working. I'd recommend a 25%-50%-75% switch to IAMS, as it has a higher fiber content and many greyhounds do well on it. There are many resources that will back up what I'm telling you.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dogs-and-food-alergy-or-allergies

http://www.petsadviser.com/food/switching-dog-food-gradually/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=99

http://www.lets-talk-dog-health-problems.com/switching-dog-food.html

http://www.caninejournal.com/changing-dog-food

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rgdaniel

The information I gave above isn't a theory. Have you discussed this with your vet? He will tell you that the number one cause of gastroenteritis in dogs stems from what is referred to as "rapid switching" where owners switch the dog's food too suddenly or too many times. A food switch is hard on the dog's GI system. If you research allergies and intolerances in pets, you'll find that it takes 1-3 weeks to see initial improvements, with overall improvement by 4-6 weeks. Some even recommend that you continue for at ten weeks. VERY RARELY will you see an immediate improvement overnight. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but obviously, what you're doing currently is not working. I'd recommend a 25%-50%-75% switch to IAMS, as it has a higher fiber content and many greyhounds do well on it. There are many resources that will back up what I'm telling you.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dogs-and-food-alergy-or-allergies

http://www.petsadviser.com/food/switching-dog-food-gradually/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=99

http://www.lets-talk-dog-health-problems.com/switching-dog-food.html

http://www.caninejournal.com/changing-dog-food

Okay, fair enough. I'm also not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sense of a lot of anecdotal evidence, much of which reports immediate results when the "right" food is found. I appreciate the references.

We dealt with similar issues with James. We ended up on IAMS green bag, as well. You might want to try it.

I also wanted to mention that you've gone through a lot of different foods in not a lot of time. Too many food switches can cause the gut to go haywire and give you a false impression on how the dog might do on the food. I'd pick a food and give in a few months to see if it works before switching again. It can take weeks to months to determine how your dog will respond to a given food.

In the meantime, a quick add-in to food that we found firmed up James' poops was tortilla chips.

Agree that you need to stick to one food for more than a two or three weeks.

And I'd treat for worms again...Dromtal Plus

Then... if the Iams does not work why not give raw a try?!?

Or half Iams / half kibble ?

My guys get raw with the occasional kibble meal (Kirklands Lamb & Rice)

Our raw mix has bone ground in, and it tends to make Nixon a little bit constipated...kibble once or twice a week ( or a handful on top of the raw) helps.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

If you are up for raw, I think you will see pretty immediate results. Although depending on how you choose to feed it, the dog may not be adjusted to digesting large amounts of bone right off of the bat so vomiting a little undigested bone (usually in a little bile) is typical early on. The easiest way to prevent this would be to start with a ground product that you purchase. Having now gone through transitioning 4 dogs who were ranging from completely fine on kibble to having issues to a raw diet, this is what I would do in the future. Then I would transition over to whole raw meaty bones, etc. because I prefer the control that gives me over a prepared food. But if you're not up for the latter, prepared foods are a nice option. Choose something that has meat, organ, and bone. You probably can't find anything without veggies added, but certainly avoid anything grain/potato related (I'm not that familiar with what products are out there right now, especially in your area).

If you're not up for raw, get your dog on a probiotic ASAP. Actually, do that regardless. You can get a "high powered" one from your vet, or just use something you can purchase. I am a HUGE fan of this product for getting a dog's gut back on track: Vetri-Probiotic BD

and then once it is you can switch to their regular "maintenance" probiotic: Capsules or Chew

They also make this fast balance paste, which I have never used, but I just came home with a tube of something similar from the specialty clinic that treated Violet for her rhabdo so I would consider trying it first as well. You can usually find their products on Entirely Pets for a good price, or maybe Amazon. I cannot recommend starting one of these ASAP highly enough.

Then if you still feel its necessary, gradually transition over to Iams Green Bag, or consider a grain free kibble. As much as I don't love what's in the Iams, it's not horrible and I have seen multiple dogs who weren't doing well on other kibble do well on it. I did see improvement relatively quickly in those cases, but those weren't dogs who had been through multiple food switches like yours now has. But there's also the possibility that its the grains that are irritating your dog's gut so a grain free food (I like Acana if you have access to it) might be a good option as well.

ETA: This is presuming medical issues have been ruled out. If you think worms are still potentially a problem, you could treat for those again. Another fecal isn't a bad idea, nor is the culture recommended above to be safe. But a probiotic isn't going to hurt so I would do that now no matter what.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest StansMom

That's for posting this. I don't have any advice, but Stan has had loose stools since we got him. I'm excited to read the responses. He doesn't seem to have any issues but I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Guest rgdaniel

I thought I should post a followup:

Cody is now on his 5th day eating IAMS green bag. I switched completely the first day, without blending the old food, if only because he already had the runs from the old food, and I wanted him off it. Well, as many have reported, the change was remarkable and immediate. For five days now, his poops have been firmer than anything we've seen, except possibly the day I gave him nothing but rice. We call it "SBF" (soft but formed). Easy to pick up, not too much sticking to the grass. Some are firmer than others, but ALL have been as good or better than anything we've seen since day one, back in May. I'm very happy about this, and will probably keep him on the IAMS green bag for good now.

Thanks again for all the info and suggestions.

Bob.

Guest OPointyDog

Great news! Glad to hear that Cody is doing better. Hopefully you'll continue to see improvement as his digestive tract recovers! That food is a miracle worker for a lot of greyhounds.

Glad you are seeing better results!

In a couple of decades around dogs, I've never had a dog significantly improve on a food over time (unless the problem was something like worms). Not even once. I give a new food a couple of days to make sure I'm seeing results from the new food and not the old, and that's it. Dogs' digestion is *somewhat* different from ours but not that different -- they're mammals, with one stomach and similar guts.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our local Greyhound rescue uses Precise Sensicare (lamb/rice formula). I hear it works wonders for Greyhounds with sensitive tummies and stool issues. :)
http://precisepet.com/dog-formulas/precise/dry/lamb-meal-and-rice-sensicare/

I understand that everyone has to do what works best for their dogs in their specific situation, and obviously chronic loose stools aren't good for anyone, but I hope you are taking the time to inform yourself about what goes into IAMS and why it's not the healthiest option. Sometimes adding the ingredient responsible for binding them up--usually beet pulp--will fix the problem regardless of the food being fed. It's often fed to horses and cows, so you could find it at a feed store and rehydrate it with water before feeding. "Despite being a byproduct of sugar beet processing, beet pulp itself is low in sugar and other non-structural carbohydrates, but high in energy and fiber."

Edited by Kaila

I think the Iams most frequently mentioned is Iams Proctive Health Mini Chunks Chicken (Green Bag) and the Proactive Health Lamb/Rice (Red Bag). Others have had real success with these, not so much here. Good luck!

Greetings from another Jean from Jersey! I live in Rahway and just fostered a hound that had pudding poop. I could have used your suggestion with Moe...his new owner has him on Rachael Ray 6 and has seen great improvement.

Guest IrskasMom

Really, I did not wanted to add my "Twocents" to this Conversation, but now I feel I have to. My Morty has been for Years (8 ) on ProPlan Shredded Beef / Chicken or Lamb with Rice with something Wet on Top . He poops at least 4-5 times a Day ( Mind you, my Friends Grey does the same ) and it is firm for the first 2 Poops and then it gets more loose as time goes on. The last Poop is more like Pudding. What is wrong with that , please tell me. This has been that way forever and I am not concerned. Should I be ????

He's fine, Erika. Very common for a dog (any breed) to do that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The only food that worked with two of my greyhounds was Hills prescription WD dry. I can also add some canned Evangers grain free chicken with no ill effects. I had tried many foods before WD but nothing worked well for either of them. With the WD we have "fabulous" poop!

Ditto on the Hills prescription WD. High fiber was the way to go with my girl. I add canned carrots, green beans, etc. It corrected the issue immediately, and she has had firm poops ever since. I will say she poops A LOT on this food(and eats a lot but stays very lean), but her poop is always firm.

Guest rgdaniel

Thanks for the recommendation of Hills Prescription WD. I notice from their website that it too contains shredded beet pulp, which seems to be the magic ingredient. We're at about 11 days on Iams green bag now, and still mostly good news. A few not great ones, but mostly not bad at all, compared to before. I might start adding some supplements again after a while, like veggies. I've been continuing with the ground flax seed, about a teaspoon twice a day on his kibble. I'd say it's probably helping, but not much. Similar results without it, just the IAMS alone gave about the same effect, ie. mostly firm-ish poops, firm enough to pick up.

Really, I did not wanted to add my "Twocents" to this Conversation, but now I feel I have to. My Morty has been for Years (8 ) on ProPlan Shredded Beef / Chicken or Lamb with Rice with something Wet on Top . He poops at least 4-5 times a Day ( Mind you, my Friends Grey does the same ) and it is firm for the first 2 Poops and then it gets more loose as time goes on. The last Poop is more like Pudding. What is wrong with that , please tell me. This has been that way forever and I am not concerned. Should I be ????

Isn't it partly because the last ones haven't been in the gut as long and so still have more water or are less digested?

Guest rgdaniel

For those of you feeding IAMS ProActive Health (green bag), how much do you give? The package lists dog weights only up to something like 50 pounds, and kibble is listed by weight also, not cups. I've been feeding Cody 3 1/2 to 4 cups over two feedings. If I go over 4 he seems to be loose again, although that's not conclusive, he's still sometimes loose at the end of the day having had only 3 1/2 cups. He's not terribly active, but we do try to encourage him to do some sprinting for a few minutes every day, which he loves but doesn't do for very long. We don't have a big open yard, so it's a bit challenging.

Guest rgdaniel

We feed about 2 cups/day, plus cookies. Too much food will lead to more pooping, and loose poops at that.

Interesting, thanks. If you were not feeding any treats (cookies) how much would you feed?

(I'm trying to feed only the kibble, for now, using kibbles as treats, which works well when he's hungry)

Interesting, thanks. If you were not feeding any treats (cookies) how much would you feed?

(I'm trying to feed only the kibble, for now, using kibbles as treats, which works well when he's hungry)

Probably 2.5

1/2 cup kibble and 1 large milkbone = breakfast

1/2 cup kibble + PB = lunch

1/2 cup kibble in bowl + 1/2 cup kibble in toy = dinner

If we didn't feed the large milkbone, we'd probably give another 1/2 cup.

James is just under 70 lbs (small male). He gets 3 walks/day, which amount to 1.5 - 2 miles.

I think 2 1/2 c/day for a male greyhound is very little. When I fostered, 3 c/day was a good starting place for the girls, 3 1/2-4 for the boys and then you adjust depending on how the dog looks.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think 2 1/2 c/day for a male greyhound is very little. When I fostered, 3 c/day was a good starting place for the girls, 3 1/2-4 for the boys and then you adjust depending on how the dog looks.

I think it depends on the size of the boy. James is the size of most females, so he doesn't require as much food as the bigger boys that are 10-20lbs heavier.

Guest rgdaniel

I've been aiming for exactly that, 3 1/2 to 4 cups, but our kibble scooper is just a little bit over a cup, so if my scoops are generous and my wife has been training a lot with kibble rewards, he may be getting too much for his tummy to process easily. I think I might try a straight up 3 cups over the two mealtimes, with another 1/2 to 1 cup used for training, or as a snack later.

Edited by rgdaniel

Just measure it all out into a bowl at the beginning of the day and pull breakfast and kibble for treats from that as needed. If its gone when dinner time rolls around, so be it. Overfeeding can definitely cause loose stools.