Constant Whining

Guest debster

Guest debster

Hello all :)

I've had my boy for a little over a month. Today, he is pacing about and whining (the high pitched whistle whine). He's been out to potty plenty of times, so it can't be that. Could it be the isolated storms today? It hasn't rained or thundered, but it is overcast. (I just gave him a melatonin in case since it's supposed to storm in a few hours). Could he be bored?

Or, is this a breed trait? Is it possible that he's just a whiner?

I'm not too concerned but it is a little annoying because I want to keep an eye on him and with him pacing around, I have to look up from what I'm doing.

Guest IrskasMom

My Grand Dog is Thunderphobic . If there are Storms coming ,he shakes violently . They know of Atmospheric Changes before we do. But I believe your Houndie is missing another Houndie to keep him Comfort.

It could easily be the storms; Joe acts weird before they hit, and then shakes and pants during the thunder and lightning. He could also be bored, or like IrkasMom said, missing another hound for company. Before we got Brees, Joe would pace and whine constantly. It was obvious he needed a sister. Then, of course, when we got him a sister,and she drives him crazy! :riphair But, she's cute, so she's staying!

Guest debster

I think it's the weather. Now it's thundering quite a bit and he's started whining again. I gave him 25mg of benadryl. He tends to whine after the louder rumbles.

The crappy part is that the sun is shining. It's not raining at all. I'm tempted to take him outside to look around and see that it's ok, but I don't know if that would help or not.

Right now, he's fascinated with watching me eat dinner, so I know it's not a major phobia (at least at the moment). I'm debating whether or not to put him in a tight tshirt. It might be premature to do that, I don't know.

Guest debster

I really hope he doesn't get that bad! But I'm going to keep an eye on him and make sure he's comfortable above all else.

It's pouring now and he seems to be ok. The benadryl must have kicked in.

Chase will definitely start pacing and be whinny when a storm is coming. It reaches its peak when he can hear lighting or growling from the thunder. I don't know if others will agree with this but our solution had been to ignore him and to confidently bring him to his crate and tell him to ''got to bed''. When we try to comfort him he gets more nervous. Sometimes wearing his muzzle also helps to calm him down.

We also close all the windows to try and lower the sounds and I put a fan on high next to his crate (we leave the crate open) to cover the sound.