Tricky Greyhounds

Guest jetska

Guest jetska

Whilst Barbie doesn't seem to have the drive for agility (or the coordination), she does like our little trick training sessions at home. She does high five, wave, roll over, play dead, commando (crawl), spin, pray... as well as obedience type stuff (heelwork, sit and down stays etc)

Kids LOVE it when she gives a high five!

Here's her trick reel from a little session we did last night.

http://youtu.be/ailfTiMbnWA

What is your fav trick and how did you train it?

My boys love to bow. I captured it with a clicker when they stretched. Bu also occasionally likes to bark, so I've been marking that. The command for barking is "are you a brat". The also do a great nose touch. Sailor also says his prayers, but we haven't worked on it much.

I refuse to teach Sailor to give paw or high five. When he wants something, he paws at me and rakes his nails down my body or whatever he hits. Hurts like hell and leaves marks for days-weeks. I started teaching paw and it made the behavior much worse, so I stopped. I don't want him clawing people.

Edited by Sambuca

Guest jetska

I've been trying to get the bow, but she flops into a down almost all the time! I will have to work on that. Love 'are you a brat' haha than it's like a conversation :)

Don't lure into a bow, just mark it when she stretches and she'll get it.

I eventually want to do big brat and little brat because sometimes he'll do big barks and sometimes he'll just kind of grumble.

Bu also knows what a U-turn is. Whenever we walk and we turn around, I say it and he will even do it out of context now.

I've also been working on fetch with Bu so that he'll eventually pick up and retrieve any object I ask. He'll hand me wooden dowels and PVC pipes now.

Bu knows "up" to get on tables at the vet or groomer, "load up" for the car or bed, "upstairs" and "up up" to go from road to curb if a car is coming.

That's very cute. She's having a blast. :)

I eventually want to do big brat and little brat because sometimes he'll do big barks and sometimes he'll just kind of grumble.

Betsy has this. Except that the commands are Speak and Trash Talk. She also has a bow. I did all three by capturing them. A couple of mine have a Tummy Rub or Show Me Your Tummy. Perry has Shake and Bye-Bye (Wave, except that I had to change the word because it's too much like Wait.) They all have the standard obedience stuff (sit, down, stay, wait, come, nose tap, etc. Most also retrieve.)

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

LOVE it! Greys are so smart and they love learning new things. The most useful trick was "touch" because it helped me to train her to do so many other things. Thanks for shaing the video.

Guest jetska

I don't think I'll get a 'speak' out of Barbie.... the only time she talks is when a stranger comes to the door and that is a very angry bark!! I will try and capture her bows.... we are going to work on a 'peekaboo' trick and I'm thinking teaching her to target the light switch so she can turn off the light at bed time would be pretty awesome ;)

I am sure Barbie knows the difference between 'wave' and 'wait' but she does focus more on hand signals than verbal commands. Might have to test that and see how she goes with verbal only commands.

I like the U-turn idea too!!

Our old boy (now at the Bridge) would stand in front of you and not move unless we told him to "Take some steps". Then he would step away. One that all of our pups have done is one that we didn't actually train them to do. When we want them to go to their crates, we tell them "Go to work!". Apparently when Mamma Martha was getting ready toleave for work, she would say "ok, it;s time to go to work." then she would give them a cookie and put them in the crates. Now they hear go to work and they put themselves in their crates. Too cute

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Summit is learning to jump up and put his paws on my shoulders. This is a big trick for a dog who basically does not take more than 1 foot off the ground except when running/playing. Ne never puts his front feet up on anything higher than the couch (and ours is low because it is a futon). He can only do it if there is good footing, so not in the house on our fake hardwood. But we work on it outside. I ask him for a paw. I take that paw and hold it and then ask him for his other paw, and then help him up to my shoulders. He thinks this is a great trick. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Great video!

Spriet's favorite trick is touch or push. We leared the push command while taking Treibball lessons. Now she wants to push at everything! The big gym ball, cardboard boxes etc. Recently I turned this into a very helpful trick: closing the kitchen drawers! :lol

Video:

Oh, another command she likes is "come by" when she stands next to me, has to run around an object and then come back to me.. A table or chair for example. Spriet loves doing that!

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Guest Waterdog66

I have been working with Audrey for a while now on Targeting and it has been huge for training her for other things. (DOWN, STEADY, LEAVEIT, STRETCH (Bow))

The problem is that she has started to get a bit "PUSHY" and will try to heard everyone around by poking you with her nose :flip

This is especially problematic when I am trying to get dressed to take her for her morning walk and she comes up behind me to MAKE SURE I know she needs to go for a walk :omg:

Such cute tricks!! We have been doing short clicker sessions for awhile now. Teague is not the easiest or fastest learner, but he is way better now that he is starting to get it and I have found foods that motivate him. So far he will target touch, spin, shake a paw, and "kiss" by bumping your face gently with his nose.

I recently picked up these weave pole type hoops for agility...not having much luck there if anyone has suggestions....lol

Edited by RedHead

Guest jetska

hah this is turning out to be an ADORABLE thread, and I shall be taking notes for later!!

Barbie will jump up and and put her paws in my hands and walk with her back legs but since she does this when she is not prompted it's a trick that I kind of stopped working on :P LOVE the draw closing.... i'm also going to use 'stretch' as the bow command from now on ;)

People often use "ta da" for bow. I just wanted to be able to say "bow to the queen" and have the dogs bow to me. Of course Bu only bows to "do it again". :lol. We had a bit of a training malfunction that day :lol.

Edited by Sambuca

Guest jetska

I forgot about this and I didn't train it, but whenever I ask Sailor if he's fat, he puts his ears back against his head. It's pretty funny.

haha I love those 'accidental' tricks!!! poor Sailor has body image issues !! :D

Guest FrankieWylie

We tell Echo "say please" and he bows. It's my favorite lol!

Sherry sits, downs, lays and plays dead.

I'm trying to teach Reese to "dance" to strengthen her back legs. But she sits beautifully.

All of them will "kennel up" when it's time to go. Only problem is....there are five dogs and two crates lol. So we have to get everyone out of the crates so echo and Reese can get in.

Capri's favorite trick is catching treats. Lately I've started tossing them over her head to make her jump a bit for them. It's pretty cute, especially when I throw one when she's not expecting it and she still catches it. She's about 50/50 on her unexpected catch rate, closer to 95% when I let her prepare for incoming. :lol

And since she's too smart for my own good... yes, now she fixates on my hands, so when I try to teach her new hand signals for different things, she just looks around to find the treat she thinks I threw. So I don't recommend teaching catch if you use hand signals. :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow