I Ran Out Of Dog Food

It's been a horrible first week back at school and I ran out of dog food. They were fine yesterday but they're basically out today. Of course, I will go right after school tomorrow.

I have some ground beef that's been in the fridge since Tuesday (?). Should I make that for them or will they be ok until tomorrow afternoon?

Yes, I know, world's worst Greymom. :(

TIA-

GG

I would have just run up to walmart and grabbed something similar. Just a small bag of something.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest MnMDogs

Can you just go to the supermarket and get some chicken or turkey to give then raw? Of more ground beef? A jar of baby food and some cheese isn't very much

Scrambled eggs also work in a pinch - never saw any dog turn down eggs.

As posted above, cooked ground beef with some rice or pasta, or add scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, canned green beans, etc if you have it. Add-ins are like huge treats and the hounds will think it's great.

If your schedule is hectic, look at wag.com or petflow.com for automated delivery of the food. Both do an outstanding job. i also keep some canned food on hand for tummy issues, and can feed that if one of my shipments doesn't make it on time.

Don't beat yourself up, just keep a little reserve supply on hand in case you run out again or in the event there's an emergency that prevents you from getting out to get food for a day or two.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

The great thing about the raw feeding is that it taught me food is food! As long as you put something in their bellies, they will be happy. A couple weeks ago I forgot to thaw anything for their dinner. I made a mac n cheese, tossed a can of creamy cheese soup in, along with a can of tuna. Ghetto tuna casserole! It was a hit.

------

Jessica

we ended up running out of food near the end of our journey to gaspe, ca. the dogs ate 3-4 weeks of food in 2 weeks!(and still dropped weight). i went to the supermarket (coop in canada) and picked up a bag of IAMS- they only had the green bag. NO PROBLEMS what so ever- no gas, firm poops. get some IAMS- every market has it. if you want get some rice from a local chinese take out and mix it in(did that as well).

In a pinch I've given Franny a peanut butter sandwich.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I've run out of food and with a husband who works nights and 3 small kids, there was no way I was running anywhere to get them a bag of food. I usually cook up some eggs and throw in some canned veggies.

I like the peanut butter sandwhich idea from a PP too!

i went to the supermarket (coop in canada)

Huh? They are supermarkets here. Or grocery stores. Maybe this is a Quebec term but it's not a Canadian term.

A co-op is a low-income housing arrangement, typically an apartment building, where the residents pitch in to help with the maintenance. There was also some kind of feed store/farm equipment retailer called a co-op (can't remember the exact details) but I haven't seen one in years.

I have run out of dog food a couple of times in the past. I've been known to make them porridge with scrambled eggs in it. Or, if there's just a scraping of kibble left, to mix the kibble remnants into the porridge and scrambled eggs and thus make it go farther.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

guess it's a term used in quebec, but every market said the name...ie iga and then coop written under it. go know, but the fresh veggies, breads and cheeses were greyt. felix and annie enjoyed their iams as well.

co-op in the ny area is a group owned building w/ a board and guidelines for shareholders, anything but low income. i did live for a short time in the very first co-op in the u.s. workman's circle, the garment industry started it.

as to things found in the kitchen for doggie dinner- rice, pasta, baked potato, sweet potato, grains- oatmeal/barley, a hamburger, scrambled eggs. remember kibble did not ALWAYS exist- but dogs have been surviving for quite some time w/ what ever!!!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Jengrey1

Don't beat yourself up over this. I am sure a lot of people on this forum have ran out of dog food before. I always keep some rice on hand. Mix it with some ground beef and veggies. The dogs won't even know you have ran out of food for them because they will think they are getting a special dinner.

When I was going through my divorce and moving apts and just in general having a really rough time... The dogs often ate dollar menu cheeseburgers. Not the best for them but we all survived. I was barely eating myself so planning their meals was not in the cards most days. Running out of food once is no big deal

------

Jessica

A co-op is a low-income housing arrangement, typically an apartment building, where the residents pitch in to help with the maintenance

Well, a co-op HERE is usually a very HIGH income housing arrangement, typically apartments, where the owners are screened and have to be accepted by the other owners. There are lots of rules, and they all have to pay for the common areas like a condo. In other words, if the co-op board doesn't like you, you don't get to buy one of the apartments!

A food co-op is different, obviously!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Waterdog66

A bowl of Cream-Of-Wheat or Oatmeal with two scrambled eggs on top makes an excellent meal. Just make sure the eggs and cereal are warmish but NOT HOT.

Also Yogurt makes a great mixin for a meal like this :)

Audrey goes bananas for scrambled eggs and does not seem to have any issues with this sort of breakfast. This is my normal Saturday morning breakfast and it is awesome that we both are eating the same thing.

(there are food co-ops too, I get my raw food from one :) )

as others have said, one or two meals of non-dog food won't kill them :lol

Except after getting ground beef, rice, and eggs, they may never eat dog food again! :rotfl

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Giselle

Remember: Dogs evolved precisely because they learned to scavenge people's trash. If you ever get a chance to visit a developing country, all the rural dogs eat people's trash. And they do reasonably well.

Never feel bad about what you feed your dog, as long as it is done mindfully and in moderation. When I first moved across the country, I had no transportation and no dog food. My dog ate pizza and sandwich-leftovers for 2-3 days. She's still healthy and happy!

Ugh, I had 3 cans of tuna they've been dieing for. I should have fed them that. They would have loved me forever. Well, I bolted out of school yesterday and bought them food. Molly slept with me all night and Mason slept in the dog bed yesterday. Everyone is happy and healthy and I survived my first week back at schoo. Thanks for the great food advice and support. It's good to know I haven't emotionally scarred them forever! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Something in the belly is better than nothing in the belly. Let's see - my dogs have had leftover whatever, pizza crust, scrambled eggs, pasta and chicken broth, can of tuna, or hotdogs for dinner when we've unexpectedly run out of their food. The did not die. If fact - they kinda liked it. There's always something around to feed a dog to get through a meal.