Won't Drink Water In Public

Guest RMarie

Guest RMarie

Does anyone else have a hound that won't drink water in public? I can only think of one time that James drank water in public. But, aside from that one incident, James will NOT drink water away from home. The only way I can get him to ingest water in public is to feed him ice cubes. Is this one of those greyhound quirks or is James just weird (we love him nonetheless)?

Can't say I've ever had this problem but I wonder, how have you been offering him the water? Might it be something to do with the container you are using? The problem may just be that it's different to what he's used to, or even that he finds it scary - some dogs don't like drinking from metal bowls, for instance, because of clatter/ reflections.

I have a handy sort of plastic bottle with a dish-thing attached for Doc when we are out and about - initially he couldn't work out what it was for, but when I picked it up from the ground and offered it at head-height he soon got the idea!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest RMarie

I've tried different types of bowls. I have a rubber travel one I usually take places. He goes with us to our gym on the weekends and the bowl there is a plastic one. The bowl he drinks from at home is elevated, so perhaps that's the problem. I just worry about him getting dehydrated. I usually end up leaving wherever I am a little earlier than planned just so I can get him home to drink water. I'd rather not have to bring his bowl and stand from home. They're heavy and not easily transportable.

Sometimes they don't like the water that is different from that that they drink at home. Have you tried bringing your own water with you, with a familiar bowl?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We used to have to bring Charlie Bear treats (small dry treats) with us. We'd hold one over the bowl and let Katy take it, then another, then we would "accidentally" drop one into the water. After looking at us like we were idiots for dropping a perfectly good treat in the water she would retreive it, slurping up water with it. We would keep doing this till she got the idea that drinking away from home was ok.

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Guest RMarie

We used to have to bring Charlie Bear treats (small dry treats) with us. We'd hold one over the bowl and let Katy take it, then another, then we would "accidentally" drop one into the water. After looking at us like we were idiots for dropping a perfectly good treat in the water she would retreive it, slurping up water with it. We would keep doing this till she got the idea that drinking away from home was ok.

Haha, I water his kibble down at home for breakfast and dinner so I thought I'd trick him into drinking water in public by putting his kibble (which doubles as treats) in the water bowl. Nope...he just bobs for kibble and then gets water up his nose like a doofus. :rolleyes:

Guest RMarie

I can relate!!!! Lexie never drinks anywhere but at home. I usually have to add some broth or small pieces of marshmallows so she will at least drink a little bit.

Whew! Glad to know James is not completely weird.

Too bad Lexie already has a boyfriend...James LOVES all of your pretty photos of Lexie. :P

Perhaps James heard that Michelle Obama has mandated water consumption. ;)

On a serious note, I haven't had this issue with our grey pack. However, my horse refuses to drink water away from home. I bring water and her bucket from the barn. I've tried water additives that are supposed to make any horse drink. Nope, she ain't falling for it. Its true that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. On really hot days, I will bring apples, watermelon, etc. so at least she gets some fluids. Gracie never refuses treats. She always does fine though and enjoys a nice long drink as soon as we get back to the barn.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest kkaiser104

Teddi drinks from a red solo cup when we travel. It was easy enough to teach, I just would take a drink, show him, rinse and repeat. Finally he got that there was water in there and his curiosity got the better of him. Now he drinks that way all of the time lol

My first greyhound was like that and it became a serious issue. We would do meet-n-greets and sometimes be gone all day and he wouldn't drink. The only way that I solved it -- we would get vanilla milkshakes from BurgerKing or McDonalds. He would also do ice cream. Since both of these might be a tad rich, he might have soft poo the next day but it was better than him getting dehydrated.

Guest RMarie

Have you tried giving his bottled water in a red solo cup? Lol whenever we are out people are amazed that their dogs come and drink water from my girls' cup. I always tell them it's extra special in a cup

Nope, but I'll give it whirl on Saturday. We'll be outside at a birthday party for most of the afternoon.

Summer drinks from a folding Outward Hound bowl (but only inside the van and only if I'm holding it) -- she can't possibly drink from that bowl ANYWHERE else. At a greyhound run, she will drink from pretty much anything but she enjoys drinking from my sport bottle (I've taught her to drink from it without spilling and to do it with or without her muzzle). But if we are walking in a provincial park, she won't drink -- the water from the roadside taps is the same water as is in the trailer but nope, she won't drink it from bowl, bottle or hand. They do get weird bees in their bonnets!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest kahjul

Derby won't drink away from home. Even if its super hot, out all day, regular bowl from home with bottled water. She's not into food at all-ever, so no coaxing with treats or kibble. She does love froyo, so I can get that down her in a pinch. She will also let me squirt in her mouth with a water bottle, or squeeze a washcloth into her mouth. That helps, but isn't really enough. Its gotten to where there are times she just can't go.

As to the horse...I had 1 who wouldn't drink away from home and I tried all the vinegar/molasses, etc crap out there. What worked was cutting up apple slices and putting them on the water. They float and she would get some water (enough) while 'bobbing' for apples.

One of my boys is the same....won't drink water away from home...even though it is from home, bottled or otherwise worthy of consumption. On the other hand he will gladly drink (he knows I will stop him - so he is sneaky) 'water' from ponds, sloughs and puddles - yuck!

Similarly, he won't eat in public. Guess he likes his dog bowls.

Edited by Dancer

One of my girls wouldn't drink away from home until I started bringing bottled water....I had to pour the water onto my hand holding it over a bowl to catch what she didn't drink.

Larry! he will RARELY (I can count on my hands the # of times he's drank water when out!) drink from public bowls. Stinker!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway