Lady As An Alarm Clock

Guest Scarter55

Guest Scarter55

This is somewhat similar to another recent post, http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/300949-breakfast-barks/, but different enough that I thought I'd start a new one. In the last few months, Lady has started to whine in the morning. It always seems to be instigated if she hears something upstairs, either the cats wake up or the alarm clock go off. She will whine until she hears us get up and than be nice and quiet until we come down stairs. Once I let her out of her crate (which she is very happy to get into each night, I never have to use treats to get her in) she just is excited to see me, but will just curl up on her bed if I let her. Of course, I always make her go outside, but it seems clear that her bladder isn't bursting. She also doesn't beg for food, so she doesn't seem overly hungry. In fact, if I feed her right away, she usually won't eat it all. She will generally nap for about 45 min before breakfast.

I'm at a bit of a loss of how to discourage this. She stops as soon as we get up. And since we unfortunately have the burden of going to work most mornings, I can't try to just lay in bed and wait for her to be quiet, since that might take a while.

Any ideas?

Crate her in your bedroom? Our dogs sleep with us. Kili in a crate and Summit just on his bed. The bedroom door is usually open so Summit is free to sleep in the living room but it is rare for him to choose to be elsewhere. Point is he likes to sleep with us.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Scarter55

We have established upstairs as the cat's territory. We've had them much longer than Lady and wanted to make sure they had somewhere that they could feel safe. So having her in our bedroom, even in her crate isn't really an option, unfortunately.

Hmmm that sucks. I'd just ignore her then and I wouldn't get up until she was silent for a minute or two and I'd work her up in time from there.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Hmmm that sucks. I'd just ignore her then and I wouldn't get up until she was silent for a minute or two and I'd work her up in time from there.

That's exactly what I did. I never go in the room if she is making any noise. It has worked she was getting up at 5 am whining I was having that. She no sleeps till 7:30 or 8. When I hear her I wait till she stops and than go in. Not that she needs to get up any later now, but I will not reward whining. I know I am a mean mommy!