Surgical Wound Healing

Possum joined us last month at 9.5 years old. The original owner dumped him at another greyhound rescue group near ours. I'm guessing the owner was too embarrassed to let our group see the result of their neglect. GFNC got Possum back and after surgery and a long period of healing, he was ready for a home with us.

Possum had a softball sized nerve sheath tumor on his leg. The area is completely healed. Because such a large area was involved, the skin is really stretched tight and hard. Hard isn't really the best description - it's just not flexy like the other normal skin on him. He has no discomfort from it and doesn't try to lick it.

I worry that one bad crash while he's running like a fool will split that skin open.

What kind of lotion or salve can I put on the scar to make it soft?

011_zps67e231f9.jpg

022_zps1536842b.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Scar tissue is pretty tough. Down the road he could have a further surgery to reduce the amount of scar tissue but, honestly I think that would just be for cosmetic reasons. I guess to keep the skin supple you could use a topical cream -bag balm or utter butter??

I just started using this:

http://www.eqyss.com/pet_premier_spray1.asp After a few days I'm not seeing any big changes but I'll continue with it unless y'all have other suggestions.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about bag balm or udder butter.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ask a pharmacist or your vet. There's a cream called Mederma that's used to soften scars and reduce stretch marks on people. It might be very helpful for Possum, although you want to make sure the ingredients won't be a problem if he licks.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You've gotten good advice from the others. I just wanted to say that Possum is adorable in that chair. :wub: Thank goodness you two found each other.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I agree with using Bag Balm for this.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I ended up getting the Bag Balm. So far he hasn't tried to lick it. :)

tiny hada siggy.png