Overweight? What Now.

Guest Marsroving

tell her to go screw herself, or better yet, she can come to your home and try to take the dog from you if she wants. what, is she going to go before a magistrate and argue that the "contract" is legally binding because of a lb. here and a lb. there? good luck with that. all contracts are open to interpretation, and all contracts can be litigated. is your adoption group willing to spend the time and money to take you to court? there are dogs being put to sleep at the track when theyre no longer useful. there are dogs being abused and killed all over the country and world. with that being said, your group wants to take back your dog because its two .lbs heavier than it was a while back? rubbish. how do you think the magistrate is going to react to his or her time being wasted when you produce a note from your vet saying your greyhound is at a perfectly healthy weight? this is a joke.

some of the people at these groups are just crazies. the woman who founded the group here in mass. that one of my two greyhounds came from said some things to me that were so moronic, so insulting, and so obnoxious that i basically told her to f--- off, and that they'd never be hearing from me again. its a shame, because everyone else at the group was helpful and polite, but she was just a total psycho. anyhow, she replied with one of the famous non-apology apologies (im sorry IF i offended you, rather than i'm sorry THAT i said offensive things). she told me they had put time and money and effort into rescuing my dog, and they deserved to continue to get updates about him. in other words, me cutting them off would be unfair. i told her she should put some time and effort into not treating other human beings like sh-t, and that if she was looking to find good homes willing to adopt her dogs, she might also consider not being totally obnoxious to people who want to adopt from them. i havent spoken with them since, and i will never adopt from them again.

Edited by jaym1

tell her to go screw herself, or better yet, she can come to your home and try to take the dog from you if she wants. what, is she going to go before a magistrate and argue that the "contract" is legally binding because of a lb. here and a lb. there? good luck with that.

some of the people at these groups are just crazies. the woman who founded the group here in mass. that one of my two greyhounds came from said some things to me that were so moronic, so insulting, and so obnoxious that i basically told her to f--- off, and that they'd never be hearing from me again. its a shame, because everyone else at the group was helpful and polite, but she was just a total psycho. anyhow, she replied with one of the famous non-apology apologies (im sorry IF i offended you, rather than i'm sorry THAT i said offensive things). she told me they had put time and money and effort into rescuing my dog, and they deserved to continue to get updates about him. in other words, me cutting them off would be unfair. i told her she should put some time and effort into not treating other human beings like sh-t, and that if she was looking to find good homes willing to adopt her dogs, she might also consider not being totally obnoxious to people who want to adopt from them. i havent spoken with them since, and i will never adopt from them again.

perfect response to those who don't know the difference between checking in to see how your houndie is doing..... and putting on their judge robes and judging you for what they see through their clouded vision.... unacceptable and these people need to be put in their place.... unfortunately, there are no adequate Long Island adoption groups, so I have to go 2-3 hrs away, to NJ to get my greys... it's a shame....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest FreddyGirl

Just an FYI as a basis of comparison with my boys. My three boys all weigh @ 74 lbs. they are fed 15 ounces of,raw twice daily. Of course, metabolisms are different, as are greyhound builds.

Having had experience with 3 LS dogs, have two seniors currently with LS, it is wise to lean towards the thinner side. One, its easier for them to lift/cart around. Secondly, it protects you some, easier to assist lift a lighter dog.

I watch my dogs carefully, if they seem to be bulking up, I reduce an ounce per meal until at maximum weight, and the same the other way.

Wow. I'm amazed that she's taking this attitude, and it is - as others have said - just plain WRONG that you can judge a dog's fitness by the 5lb over racing weight 'rule', which isn't actually any kind of rule at all.

Mars looks GREAT! A damn sight better than most pet greyhounds I see!

MAYkKWG.jpg

I recently had a discussion similar to this w/ some trainers & breeders on FB. They have never heard of the "5 lb over racing weight" rule.it seems to be an adoption group thing. And whatever weight may be posted on GH Data may not have been his consistent weight as it may change depending on the different tracks & trainers philosophy. Some run them heavier, some lighter was my understanding. It's the look of the dog (ribs, hips etc) that is the norm. My boy raced at 75 lbs, when I brought him home he was 89 lbs. I now have him down to about 82 lbs. His ribs show as they should & so do his hip points. He looks "thick" because of loss of muscle tone. I've changed him over to a raw/kibble diet & we're working on his work outs.
As far as Adoption Group -- I'd tell them to go to Hell. It sounds like your guy is just fine IMHO. He's healthy & happy. If you & your Vet as satisfied with how he's doing - they can go scratch. I could care less what the paperwork says.

Exactly. Sid is now more or less the weight he raced at, or within a couple of pounds and (I am ashamed to say) he is overweight. We're working on that, but he's difficult to keep right. It's a combination of stealing Jeffie's food when he can and the fact that when he's sore he doesn't do as much exercise. Nobody finds it easy to judge his weight either, because he's a tripod and one of the very solidly built, big framed dogs. His musculature is distorted by his altered walk and keeping that big body moving. I take him to be weighed regularly and we work from there.

Jeffie, on the other hand is a bit more than his racing weight and is underweight. He's a 'hard keeper'. Our vet thinks they're both fine so they're not a bus-ride out of where they should be, but I fret about it.

Never would I go by the 5lb rule. It quite simply would not work for either of these two! And I would love to see that woman justify removing Mars from you, in front of a panel of vets and assorted dog experts. I'm pretty sure she'd leave with a very red face. :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop