Coaltrain Having Seizures

Guest BiniShew

Guest BiniShew

A couple of weeks ago, Coal had a seizure...it lasted about a minute long and was full body convulsions with foaming of the mouth and loss of bladder control. The postictal phase lasted for about 15-30 minutes, where he was running into the walls and falling down, very confused. We took him to the vet who did blood work and all came back normal. They gave us Valium in case he had another.

Tonight, Coal had another seizure, this time it lasted for two minutes, and we used the Valium- which I felt made him much worse afterward. He was the same as last time after the seizure (falling down, running into the walls) but now, after a couple of hours, he can see and walk okay but he is very scared and howling constantly. I'm not sure what to do for him and I feel so bad!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry Coaltrain is having seizures as everyone says they can be scary. There are those on here that have a lot of experience, they should be able to help you out. Good thoughts for your boy.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lucy has been having seizures for about 2 1/2 years now. Some recommendations ...

1. Make an appointment with a neurologist. They will be able to describe the different medicines available and the pros and cons of each one. He/She should also show you how to give rectal Valium - this is used as a cluster buster (clusters is when they have more than one seizure in 24 hours). Becoming familiar with how to administer rectal Valium (if needed) can keep you and Coal out of the ER and keep the costs down associated with this disorder.

2. Start a book listing all the seizures including date and time and whether there was anything different that day (like using a new brand of cleaner or air freshener). Also include changes in diet.

3. Consider joining the facebook epilepsy page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/9991858369/ ) or the mailing list ( http://http://www.canine-epilepsy.com ) - both have great information.

4. Most neurologists will consider starting medicines when the seizures are about 4 weeks apart.

5. You can use your regular vet for the seizures but, they usually do not know the latest medicines and they are not very familiar with rectal valium procedure.

As noted by one of the above posters, there are quite a few on this forum with greyhounds that seizures, hopefully they will respond with more suggestions.

Be careful, he sounds like he's trying to go into cluster seizures. If he has another one I'd get him to a vet so they can start IV medication. I wouldn't mess around with what sounds to be like pretty severe seizures. My boy clustered once and I wasn't sure they were going to be able to stop them but they did. He had severe seizures like your boy but with the proper meds on board you may get your boy under control.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BiniShew

That last one, he was full body convulsing for about 45 seconds, then he stopped and was panting, then stiffened and lost bladder control again for 10 seconds, then started panting again, then stiffened AGAIN with loss of bladder control....do you think that the two stiffenings were seizures as well or just all one seizure?

Did you use rectal valium and if yes, how much did you give? Lucy who is about 70 lbs, gets about 16 ml after each seizure (up to about 4 a day).

The only reason that I ask is that when the regular vet prescribed the rectal valium, the dose was much too low - they prescribed the dose that you would get orally. Luckily when we saw the neurologist, all that got fixed before she started clustering a year later.

Is he on seizure meds yet? If not, you need to get an appointment to see the neurologist as soon as possible. Note, if you go to a regular vet they will likely prescribe Pheno and once a dog gets on a seizure medicine, you are not likely going to be able to switch easily to different the meds. Pheno is not bad as a medicine, it is an old standby and the costs are reasonable but it can have side effects at the beginning (acting drunk) until the dose gets regulated and it can damage the liver so blood monitoring is essential. Zonisamide (and also Keppra), are relatively new drugs that are becoming prescribed more as the first drug (more zonisamide then Keppra) as they have relatively no side effects but can be more expensive - but, in some dogs it works for about a year and then the seizures start increasing and there is a need for a second medicine. None of the seizure drugs is perfect and that is why I recommend seeing a neurologist and getting detailed information on all of them so you can make an informed decision. But, if you already moving into clusters, you may not have that option.

You might also think about whether he might have gotten into anything the last few days. For example, lead can cause seizures.

Good Luck..

edited to add ... I reread your posts and it sounds like he has clustered - he has had more than 1 seizure in 24 hours. Did you use the Valium again this morning? If they did not give you enough valium, I would suggest heading to the ER to get more (and make sure right dose).

Edited by MaryJane

It sounds like he's clustering. I would get him to the e-vet as soon as possible so they can give him medication to stop the seizures. Then I would check with my regular vet and get him on some medication asap.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I hope he's doing ok. Thunder also clusters. He had 2 seizures Saturday morning around 1:23 and 1:32 am. I was ready to take him to the evet but he fell asleep and has been ok since.

He's on 3 medications but since adding keppra in June, he's had more seizures than he did before he started it.

Hope you are doing ok :grouphug

It's horrible to watch and such a helpless feeling.

I actually give a spoonful of vanilla ice cream after a seizure to help get his blood sugar back up. I'm out so need to pick up more soon. Luckily, I don't like ice cream so it's not a temptation to eat it :lol

Let us know how he's doing.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest BiniShew

Hey guys! So, on the way to the vet, Coal had a seizure in the car (talk about terrifying...on the highway, peeing everywhere, hitting his head on the door, etc). They are going to keep him overnight at the animal hospital. I'm so bummed out... We didn't have the Valium with us in the car, and they never told us what the max dose was in 24 hours so I only gave the one dose last night of 10ml.

Oh, you two have had such a rough day. :grouphug I know you hated leaving him, but hopefully they'll get him medicated and get the seizures under control. :hope:goodluck

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest PiagetsMom

This upsets me just reading about Coal.....I can imagine how upsetting it's been for you :grouphug

Hoping Coal has a quiet night tonight at the clinic, and they can find something to help him quickly!

Guest BiniShew

Thanks everyone for the advice and support, it truly means a lot to me. I felt so bad leaving him, worried that he will stress out that we've abandoned him since he hasn't been with us very long. The whole thing just sucks.

Hopefully they will get some meds on board to stop the cluster. He may be too sedated to even be aware that you're not there. Once they lighten the sedation you'll probably be able to visit him.