I Miss My Buddy (Zero)

greydad92

Hi All,

Zero passed on August 5th and I'm really down. I'm at peace that he is at "the bridge" and no longer in pain. That is the most important thing to me. I'm still here on Earth and feeling the loss. My heart is heavy and my house is quiet. Zero's bed is still next to mine. I don't know when I will get rid of that. I picked up his ashes last Saturday and they are now in my corner display cabinet with my dog before Zero, Echo. There are some toys in the cabinet as well along with some whiskers. My arm is constantly extended downward to pet friend that used to be there, to pat my buddy on his head.

I'm just writing to share how I feel. I'm down....tired......and could use some words of encouragement. Thanks for listening all. I wish the best to you all and your greys.

Sincerely,

Zero's Daddy

DSC01480_zpse8053ef2.jpg

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

It's hard. I feel for you and shed tears. If it is any comfort, Zero is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

No doubt about it, it's hard, and it never gets any easier either. The only good thing that comes from it all is that our beloved pets are no longer in pain. Hold on to your memories, they will bring you comfort in time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We've all "been there, done that." I'm so sorry you're still feeling so badly.

But just think how "ordinary" your life would have been had you not met & loved the amazing soul that was your beloved Zero.

His spirit will live forever....in your heart.

I hope that someday, somewhere, another sweet soul will look you in the eye, and you'll say, "oh shoot, I'm toast."

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Totally understand what you are going through. Just lost my heart girl the end of June and still find myself looking for her and missing her terribly. HUGS! :grouphug

Hi Tony,

I wish I could say something to take it all away, or to bring him back. But I can do neither of those things. As I pet Robin right now, knowing that he will be 12 in October, I am reminded that my time with him is short, and I will (relatively) soon be in the position you are in. It's just me and him, and it has been for a few years now, and there is going to be an incredibly huge void in my life, and in my heart, when he leaves me. But, like others have said, I wouldn't have given up the time I've had with him for anything, even knowing the pain that is in my future.

All I can do is let you know that those of us who knew and loved Zero are missing him too. He was one of our brindle buddies, and such a sweet boy. I do hope, when you are ready, that you will honor Zero by giving another hound the love that he so cherished. Until then, we hope to continue seeing you on our Sunday walks, and that our hounds help to ease your pain.

Cathy (dammit, now I'm tearing up!!!)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

It may be too soon but, maybe think about volunteering for one of the greyhound groups in the area. The dogs that are in the cages awaiting adoption would love to have some pats and maybe a walk around the yard. It will not heal the empty spot in your heart - nothing will ever do that but, it will let you take one step forward.

Yo could also check on fostering - sometimes older dogs are returned because of changes in situations and the people just can't keep the dog anymore. He/she might be housebroken and just need a place to stay until the adoption group can find a permanent home. While these dogs can go into the kennel, most can get depressed because they are used to being in a home.

Both you and Zero are in my thoughts.

I said goodbye to Sam on August 8 after nearly 11 years together. In conversation, I still say "my dogs" and "my guys," even though there's only one dog here (and three sets of ashes on the shelf).

When I lost girls before--back when I had Sam--I always adopted again quickly. But right now, my finances are dismal. I absolutely cannot afford to adopt another dog right now. I can't afford vet insurance, and I certainly can't afford vet bills.

But I've applied to foster for the local group. It'll give Silver someone to supervise and give me another head to pet. I pay for food and for flea & tick; the rescue group pays for heartworm meds and any vet bills. It will free up a kennel so SEGA can take in another dog, but I'll really be doing it more for me than for SEGA.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Lots and lots of hugs to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The missing is so hard. Please do know, from those of us who have been where you are, that you will find a place to be at peace. And until you do, Do Not ever let anyone tell you or suggest that you "need to get over it." The process is different for everyone and there is no time limit, nor rules, nor right or wrong. Acknowledge what you are feeling; remember your sweet boy and the good times. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It's been over a year, but I still miss my girls. But the "missing" has changed and the pain has eased. I'm not sure exactly when that happened or how. It will ease for you, too.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Every time I love one there is a period of time during which I always think that I just cannot bear it . It's only because I've done it so many times now that I know this will pass and I make it. It seems the excruciating grief of the new loss inevitably gives way to a grief that is more tolerable, for lack of a better word, and then it becomes more like a deep sadness and longing. I never stop missing them, but that feeling of unbearable pain always begins to subside as I grow accustomed to them living on the inside instead of on the outside. I'm sorry you're still hurting so badly. You are in my thoughts at this really difficult time. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Sadly, most of us know how you are feeling. I was just thinking this morning, it has been 2 months since I lost Fletcher, and I still have those moments of disbelief. It just can't possibly be true. He can't really be gone. So many little things in the daily routine that remind you. The pain never goes away, but it morphs into something more bearable over time. :bighug

For me the pain never goes away entirely, it just becomes more tolerable. I discovered though, that I can love and grieve at the same time. While deeply grieving for Bailey, who was "my" girl, we adopted Brooke 10 days after Bailey was pts. I did this to honour Bailey's memory because so many other greyhounds need homes. For me, it was the best thing I did although I was in a lot of pain over our loss. But that's when I learned I can love another and grieve for the past without guilt. Bailey was never replaced by Brooke, Brooke was an addition to our family, and I quickly fell deeply in love with her.

It's painful, unfortunately many of us know this feeling all too well. In fact I still tear up on the anniversary of her death each year.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks so much for the great posts. I was just so down earlier today. You know how it goes with the ups and downs.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

I'm so sorry. I think your words bring back those strong emotions for all of us. Though the pain is still there, I hope it helps a little to know that so many understand. The grief is the same, but our ways of working through it are very individual. The first time, you are flying blind, not knowing how you'll get through it, and wondering if it will ever get better. If you have lost others, eventually you understand what your grieving process is, and you get by, and move on as best you can. Just know that there is no time frame. Let yourself feel those feelings, and at some point, you will realize it's become a bit easier, and you can find comfort in the love you shared. But sometimes, that sadness can sneak up on you, and you'll feel like you've walked into a wall. If you realize this, and recognize it as part of the process, it helps.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so very sorry. I still acutely feel their absence at times and mine have been gone for a year. The loss is still there and always will be. It has just become part of who I am now, and while the sharp pain has eased, the ache remains. To me, it is a reminder of our bond and I actually hope to never lose that ache. It brings them back to me. While most of us have never met you or Zero, we are with you in spirit as you enter this next chapter of your life.

Wishing you peace and comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Hi Tony - I agree with the other posts... there is no time frame on grief & sometimes, when you think it's getting better, you get blindsided.

Hugs...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest iconsmum

I am so very sorry. I still acutely feel their absence at times and mine have been gone for a year. The loss is still there and always will be. It has just become part of who I am now, and while the sharp pain has eased, the ache remains. To me, it is a reminder of our bond and I actually hope to never lose that ache. It brings them back to me. While most of us have never met you or Zero, we are with you in spirit as you enter this next chapter of your life.

Wishing you peace and comfort.

that's it for me, too. That little jolt of pain for each of my lost dogs. I've come to think of it as evidence of our permanent tie.