Clomicalm Side Effects

After having resisted for a year, I started Iker on Clomicalm this past Sunday; 40mg 2x a day. I've noticed a definite decrease in appetite and he seems somewhat lethargic and depressed when he's in the house. I've read that these are documented possible side effects. Should they disappear after a few weeks or should I be concerned and discontinue these meds?

Thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I've had two females who took Clomicalm, and I didn't see any side effects. I'd let your vet know and see if the vet's concerned.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It may go away as Iker becomes accustomed to the dose - say between four and six days - or the dose may need to be adjusted. Definitely talk with your vet and see what he says.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Luna's currently on 50 mg twice daily (want to wean her off soon) and I haven't noticed any side effects. She has always been a lazy girl so I don't think her penchant for sleeping all day is due to the meds. :) Definitely call your vet if you're concerned, though.

I spoke to the vet this morning. She said to stop the meds and we'll revisit the dosage. She thinks it might be too high.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Silver (when she was 53 pounds) took one 25mg capsule twice a day. (I just rechecked her old bottle in the cabinet.) And I seem to remember we might have started off even lighter than that--maybe one a day for several days before we added the second. (She also was getting diazepam for the first couple of weeks.) I was supposed to give it three weeks, then go back to the vet if it wasn't working, but she was better very quickly. When she was ready to come off it, we did that slowly, too: Two pills one day, one pill the next, then two, then one for a week, watching to see if symptoms got worse. When that was okay, we did one a day for a week, then one every other day for a week.

Also, I had to shop around for a good price, but Walgreen's--with their prescription family savings card--charged about half what other places charged. (We just had to persuade their computer we weren't trying to give 25mg capsules to a six-year-old child.) You may not have Walgreen's in Kitchener, but you want to shop around. I seem to remember it was really pretty expensive without Walgreen's discount.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

He was taking 40mg twice a day and he weighs about 55 lbs. I was wondering if that was too large a dose. The vet I spoke to this morning isn't my usual vet, but she seems to hint at the same thing.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

He's off of the Clomicalm and is eating like he should and acting normally (for Iker).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Glad to hear it! :wub: Iker :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown