Jump to content

Epipen For Greyhounds?


Guest Marsroving
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Marsroving

Well, we had a terrifying experience with Mars on Tuesday, in fact it was so terrible and horrific I haven't been able to post about it until now. On Tuesday my niece and I took Mars to the ballpark to play catch and sunbathe. What ended up happening is after about 5minutes at the park Mars ate a bee, which stung him in the mouth.

 

Instantly I knew we were in trouble.

 

In seconds he lost control of his bladder and bowels and pottied all over himself. He was disoriented and terrified, gagging and choking. My niece is only 12 so obviously I couldn't send her to get the car. Instead of panicking I was somehow able to kick into survival mode and knew I had to save him. Mars was so brave, it took all of his strength and my niece half carrying him to get him to the car. Once we got to the car he pretty much collapsed in the back seat. My niece started crying and asked me if he was going to die. I said "not on my watch". Luckily we had ice and water with us. I put my niece in the back seat with Mars and had her rub him with ice and pour water over his mouth.

 

We were only 5minutes down the highway from the vets office. They were prompt and ready and got him in immediately, administering shots of steroids and allergy medications. Instantly he snapped out of it although groggy and skiddish.

 

I know nothing really could have been done to prevent this but I am now wondering about the future. Now that we know Mars is allergic to bees I'm wondering if there are epipens for dogs. If anyone knows please let me know. If anyone has any ideas about what to do in the future to prevent another incident like this I'm all ears.

 

This whole episode caused so much distress that I've broken out in shingles and am out of work for a week : (.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about epipens, but I've been having a similar discussion about people and reactions to bees. It turns out that liquid Benadryl for children (the allergy formula, NOT the allergy & sinus formula)--which is half the strength of grownup pills--goes to work much faster than the pills (but slower than an epipen), and may be easier to get into a dog than the pills are.

 

I've used the pills when Silver was stung on the leg. I dread the day she bites into a bee. Next vet visit, I'll talk to my vet about children's Benadryl and find out how much. I think (if I'm reading the site right) 1 teaspoon = 12.5 mg of diphenhydramine. Greyhounds can have 1 mg of diphenhydramine per 1 pound of body weight, so a 56 pound dog / 12.5mg would be 4.5 teaspoons (i.e., 2 teaspoons = one pink pill). There's a measuring cap with the liquid. The website says the liquid is sweetened with sucrose, so dangerous-to-dogs xylitol in the flavoring is not an issue (the way it can be for some children's meds).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Marsroving

I will call the vet and ask tomorrow. Since he had such a serious reaction he has been on 3 Benadryl 2 times a day for 3 days. He will get his last dose this evening.

Edited by Marsroving
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A quick google search says liquid epinephrine kept in a vial can be administered immediately. A childs epipen can be used but according to the vet on the internet, not as effective as the liquid. I'd ask your vet but it sounds like there is something you can do in an emergency.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Marsroving

I did place a call into my vet. Her return voicemail said she was going to place a call to OSU Monday, she said she knows there are ones available for dogs in general but she's not certain about whether they would be appropriate for greyhounds with bee allergies. Ill keep everyone posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...