What's Happening To Aston's Butt?

Lately, Aston has been paying more attention than usual to his butt -- the past few weeks. At first, it looked like he was licking along the same path that he uses when he washes himself after a potty walk. However, he kept up with the frequency for some days, so I took him to the vet a week and a half ago. The vet expressed his anal glands, but they were fine; otherwise, she said that his flea meds might not be effective anymore (Advantix II). She said that rather than switching to a new med right away, I should use up the rest of what I have on hand, but give it more frequently than 1x/month if needed -- I just gave him our last dose on 8/11. So...
He's still been licking himself off/on this week, and nothing seemed too out of sorts until I saw this tonight (how I managed not to notice it on his walk, I don't know; however, when I did notice it, it was when he had just been licking, so it looked more inflamed):

ec1fe9e5-867b-42cf-8e2c-7d421c0064ac_zps

His left side looks normal (complete with the bald section that you can see at the bottom of the above photo), and he hasn't bothered with the left side at all.
(edit: it's a little harder to make out with the washout effect of the flash, but he has pimply-looking bumps on the right side of the lick-balding area, and another such bump on the left side of that area)

Does this look like flea dermatitis? I sense another vet visit in the future... poor buddy :(

Edited by o_rooly

Flea dermatitis was my first thought. When Frontline failed Carl a few years back, his neck looked like that really fast. I hope he's ok!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Agree...flea bites...or some other kind of little bites

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Fleas.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I know I quit using Advantix on Reba because it caused her to itch etc excessively. From what I seen online and learned by talking with others it is a common side effect. Further the manufacturer wouldn't respond when I contacted them asking about it. That told me something too. If that's what has caused it then using it more frequently will only make him worse.

Comfortis and a bath.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Looks like fleas to me too. I would bath, switch flea meds, but before doing so you might want to take a flea comb through to see if that really is the problem. If you don't catch a flea, you might also get the black stuff they leave behind.

Your vet seriously suspected a flea issue and DIDN'T administer a Capstar dose??? Which kills fleas that are already on the dog in about 40 minutes?

Wow.

Those sure look like flea bites to me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Your vet seriously suspected a flea issue and DIDN'T administer a Capstar dose??? Which kills fleas that are already on the dog in about 40 minutes?

Wow.

Those sure look like flea bites to me.

Not really "my" vet. The practice has been in apparent upheaval in recent months -- this was the vet du jour. The next time I take Aston to the vet, it won't be this place. Thankfully, I already have 95% of Aston's medical records from this place on file because of his recent re-enrollment in insurance, so I can just truck him and his backstory to a hopefully better vet :)

The temporary vet who was on staff yesterday wrote a prescription for Comfortis. I'll pick it up sometime today at Costco (they were out of stock yesterday).

In the meantime, I gave buddy a bath, and he was MUCH less itchy last night.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!! :)