Fuzzy Is Sick :>(

Guest BlueCrab

Our Leyland has a tricky tummy and strange water will set him off (so we have to travel with our own water all the time). When he gets going, it's watery to pudding-consistency poo for days. Someone on GT suggested Slippery Elm Bark, fasting for a day or 2 followed by bland diet (boiled chicken / plain rice), which has worked wonders for us. Don't know if Slippery Elm would help here or not, but that's my go-to now when the big D hits.

I am so used to giving him the prescription food for two days and he is had been fine for the occasional bout of diarrhea. I forgot that i have slippery elm in the house. I didn't try boiled chopped meat with rice, again, because of the prescription meds. I will watch and see today, and maybe go back to square one; the simple solution. Thanks for the hints.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So sorry to hear Fuzzy is having problems. Hoping you get this fixed soon. I know how worrisome it is when something is wrong with one of our hounds.

Have you tried canned pumpkin ?

Not this time since he is eating prescription food. We thought he was a little better this morning, but this afternoon, things went down hill again. If he is not better over the weekend, we will do some more tests to try and see what is going on. How are your guys?

I don't want to be alarmist, but I would really consider an ultrasound to see what is going on down there. I say this because drugs don't seem to be working.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Not this time since he is eating prescription food. We thought he was a little better this morning, but this afternoon, things went down hill again. If he is not better over the weekend, we will do some more tests to try and see what is going on. How are your guys?

I hope things get better. I hate it when I am so worried about one of them.

My guys are ok altho they all turned a birthday this summer so 2 are 11 and 1 is 10. Phoebe had a bout of stomach upset but thank goodness it only lasted a couple of days. Still don't know what caused it. We try walking Sam so he gets out and gets a tiny bit of exercise but he hates it and I think it is a combination of arthritis and his feet aren't comfortable because of slo. they are all so sweet and I love having them in my life. Hugs to Fuzzy, and to you.

Hope Fuzzy starts to feel better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I hope things get better. I hate it when I am so worried about one of them.

My guys are ok altho they all turned a birthday this summer so 2 are 11 and 1 is 10. Phoebe had a bout of stomach upset but thank goodness it only lasted a couple of days. Still don't know what caused it. We try walking Sam so he gets out and gets a tiny bit of exercise but he hates it and I think it is a combination of arthritis and his feet aren't comfortable because of slo. they are all so sweet and I love having them in my life. Hugs to Fuzzy, and to you.

We are taking Paul for laser treatment for his arthritis, but, I am no sure it is really doing anything. He will be 12 on September 6.

How is Fuzzy today?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

He is still on the prescription food and finishing up the flagly. He is only pooping twice a day. I have added rice or oatmeal and boiled chopped meat to the prescription food. His poops are soft, but not water, and really not formed. I took a stool sample in yesterday for another test. If nothing shows, we will do blood work. I think he looks really thin.

I ask St. Francis every day to keep an eye on him.

Thank you, my friend.

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Irene,

I am just seeing this. Maddie hopes that fuzzy feels better soon and she (and I am crossing fingers and paws) that he gets better soon.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Irene, I'm so sorry you and Fuzzy are going through this. :( You may recall that Spencer's IBD and intestinal malabsorption was preceded by a case of SIBO. They kept testing the poop for parasites instead of for bacteria. Finally I just ordered them to do a culture-and-sensitivity on the poop, and they found the Clostridium infection overgrowth. Not saying at all that Fuzzy has this. But to me his symptoms are more likely to be due to something like an intestinal infection/overgrowth than parasites. So you might consider asking for this kind of testing. Sending you and Fuzzy much love and many prayers. :grouphug

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Irene, I'm so sorry you and Fuzzy are going through this. :( You may recall that Spencer's IBD and intestinal malabsorption was preceded by a case of SIBO. They kept testing the poop for parasites instead of for bacteria. Finally I just ordered them to do a culture-and-sensitivity on the poop, and they found the Clostridium infection overgrowth. Not saying at all that Fuzzy has this. But to me his symptoms are more likely to be due to something like an intestinal infection/overgrowth than parasites. So you might consider asking for this kind of testing. Sending you and Fuzzy much love and many prayers. :grouphug

Thanks. Let see what the newest fecal shows, if anything. I have so many things to ask about now. They want to test for pancreatitis, and I don't see this at all. I am not a doctor, but my research is not pointing this way.

It's not insignificant that you see more of him and know him better than anyone else. I've gotten in more trouble by not following my own research and instincts than by following it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).