Gps Collars

Guest Shontel

Search for "tracking collars" (without the quotes) using the search function here on GT. (GPS is too short for the search engine) There are several threads from late last year and earlier this year that will give you some good info about some of the collars on the market.

Some people here are using them, but those threads had some good info to check out while you wait for more replies.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've had Tagg units for both of my dogs for several years now. They are crazy accurate, get good coverage in deep underbrush while on trails in Griffith Park here in LA. I had a dog run away and never return in 2007, I never intend for that to happen again.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have 2 Tagg units. They are wonderful. The Tagg customer service is the best customer service in the US too. It is only about $6 a month to have peace of mind and I think additional dogs are less than $2-anyway its more than reasonable. Cheapest place to get the original tracker/docking station etc I found was amazon for around $85. Further they have an Activity monitor feature you can use if you like that will tell you exactly when and how active your dog is. You can see what they are up to at any time. Highly recommend Tagg. Also they are durable and stay on. Anytime the dog leaves the area you designate as home email & text messages go out immediately. You can track an escaped dog on your smart phone and they will even give you directions to where the dog is. Great stuff.

Edited by racindog

Tagg trackers here, too. We bought the first unit, complete with base station, from Amazon as racindog said, then ordered the 'add-a-pet' second tracker directly from Tagg. Monthly service is about $8 for the first dog, $1 for each additional dog.

So far we have been very happy with them. If you search for 'Tagg' on GT you'll pull up the previous threads which have some additional helpful info :).

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Guest Shontel

I've read about the Tagg devices...a review on amazon says their range is not as far as the Garmin version....anyone have any thoughts/experience on the actual limits or if there are any on the Tagg?

I've read about the Tagg devices...a review on amazon says their range is not as far as the Garmin version....anyone have any thoughts/experience on the actual limits or if there are any on the Tagg

I think that review was some bad info. I leave it on when I take my dog(s) places. It always identifies exactly where they're at. So far I've been around 50-60 miles away no problem. Am taking Reba to another state next month for scent work. I'd bet money it will have her location pegged exactly. It even works if they're in a vehicle! So if somebody is stealing them you can still track them.

Edited by racindog

I take mine to Las Vegas from LA, you can track them the entire trip and when the get to my s/o's house you can actually see who is where in the house ( his house it significantly larger than mine). That's a range of about 275 miles, not too shabby. I bought a travel base and take it with us when we travel so the units don't run out of battery fast.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

when you are using GPS there is no "range", it locates the unit anywhere on the face of the planet as long as it receives the minimum amount of satellites for tracking. As others have said, there are apps for your phone that will overlay on google earth or other mapping software. realize that the accuracy of these small units are generally 3-10 meters (9'-30'). While that may seem accurate, it could mean the difference of one side of a highway or another, or wall or building, etc. It will get you close enough to hear your hound. In a rural environment these units may not work as well because of the interference with tall objects (buildings).

FYI, I am a surveyor/engineer and we use very expensive GPS units daily, that's why I know about the technology.

In a rural environment these units may not work as well because of the interference with tall objects (buildings).

You meant an urban environment, right?

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

yup, urban.

Glad I'm not the only one who types one word in place of the other. I do it all the time, so I really have to read everything I post. It's getting worse as I get older. :gramps

Guest Scarter55

I've recently read about FitBark, though I'm not sure if it is available quite yet. Last I knew it was still in funding (on KickStarter) though it looks like the goal has been surpassed, so it might be available soon. Though you have a wealth of reliable reviews about Tagg, so that is a benefit.

Guest Shontel

for those that have the TAGG....the maximum width is 1" that the device will fit? so did you get a single collar with the device? My hounds collar is 1.5" Thanks to all who have replied, really valuable info here!!!

Re collar width, it's true that the max collar width for the Tagg tracker is 1". Our hounds have 1" flat (i.e., not martingale) tag collars that they wear 24/7; their engraved ID tags fit onto these, and their licenses, rabies tags, etc are easily attached via a clip. Leashes are never attached to the tag collars, but only to their martingales (1.5" here too), which go on for walks.

Several vendors sell nice 1" tag collars. We have velvet ones from 2hounds and microfiber ones from Aid4Greys. (Unfortunately one of the few drawbacks to the Tagg trackers has been that our pups rarely wear their beautiful leather bolo tag necklaces from Long Dog Leather!)

Hope this helps :).

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Guest DeniseL

I love the tagg trackers. I have three of them for about 6 months. Work great so far. Now that I have them, I would never want to be without. They stay attached to their 1 inch velvet tag collars 24/7. I slip a martingale on separately for walks. Totally worth the peace of mind....

We have pre-orded Tiles that will go on the two dogs collars. We will be tracking them for a while when the dog walker has them out each day, just to test how they are working.

http://www.thetileapp.com/

If they work reliably and if they get more popular, the network will be amazing. All of the folks I work with who are "early adopters" are excited about these.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Aw, rats, Tile only works with Apple products. Too bad as it sounds really interesting, but I'm not interested in switching to an iPhone. I'll have to wait until it works with Andoid!

Edited by seeh2o