Starting Raw Feeding, Please Help!

Guest heathertrent

Guest FreeholdHound

!! Advice Please !!

Is it conceivable to feed a raw diet using primarily meat/bone/organ grinds without supplementing with a million other add ins?

Harry cannot have turkey or chicken (although I do give him a turkey neck & chicken feet and he's fine I just don't want to overdo it).

I have been supplementing his kibble w/the grinds (have used beef, rabbit, goat) and have also used tripe (he's addicted), beef hearts, sardines. I will be picking up some duck necks & feet to try also.

Is it possible to just cut out the kibble? A bit nervous at the thought but fed up trying to find "the one".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow a prey model for my guys. The main staple is chicken because it is cheaper and more readily available. I do not feed any type of ground veggie mix as some recommend. They eat chicken backs, chicken quarters, ground beef, venison, duck, pork, turkey, fish (ground and canned - Goose refuses to eat a whole fish or even chunks), tripe, organ meat (usually chicken, but I also get beef and deer sometimes if my neighbor is feeling generous) and periodically, eggs (with shell). I started off reading the booklet Switching to Raw, which was recommended to me by someone and can be found on the internet, just google the title. I have adapted the diet over the years to accommodate the needs of my dogs. While it isn't 100% on target, my dogs are healthy, happy and my vet is happy with their weight and over-all good health.

I do add a glucosamine mix (Acti-flex) and fish oil to their meals. But that is for other reasons and not as a dietary supplement.

I have started feeding a meal of kibble once or twice a week so they are more accustomed to it in case of an emergency or we are going out of town and I feed every other meal raw to save space and mess. For example, we are going to Dewey and they will have chicken backs every morning and kibble at night. Keeps their guts more in check than switching to kibble for every meal and makes feeding time smoother since we are sharing a house with 10 other dogs and their humans.

Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Is it conceivable to feed a raw diet using primarily meat/bone/organ grinds without supplementing with a million other add ins?

My dogs diet is mainly a raw ground mix, meaty bones, and cooked table scraps (veggies, pasta, etc.) with small amounts of kibble when I'm lazy. They do just fine on this, my one dog has been on it for 11 years. Some ground mixes are meant to be complete meals, others are just add-ins, so I would check with your manufacturer. It can't hurt to try it out to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by RedHead

Guest FreeholdHound

He likes the raw meat mixes that are meat/bone/organs/tripe. Veggies aren't his thing at all. I bought the See Spot Live Longer mix that you add your own boneless ground meat into - he didn't mind that either. I think I'm over thinking this LOL. For travel & emergencies (and sometime laziness) I'll have to keep kibble in his diet to some degree. Quite frankly if he could have chicken & turkey this would be a whole lot easier (and cheaper).