Starting Raw Feeding, Please Help!

Guest heathertrent

Guest heathertrent

You could also tried ground beef. They don't really need veggies although Mars looooves broccoli and will get a few frozen pieces on a hot day.

What we like to do is take the raw meats, cut them into cubes (bone included), maybe add a few celery sticks, broccoli, and rice then put it in a huge container and feed it over the course of a few days.

For instance, one cut up chicken breast, on cut up quarter, a cup of rice, a little chicken stock, a few hearts, a few livers, a cup of veggies. Then we weight out 1 pound meals. Mars gets 2 pounds a day, 1 pound each meal (he weighs 78 pounds and I should probably get him down to 76 although I can still see his ribs and three points in his spine).

That way it's all premade and easy for you. Carrots and celery I precook in chicken stock because dogs cannot digest most raw veggies.

I cooked a Schwan's 4 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast around lunch time and cut it into pieces. I eat that for lunch a lot and have given my Riley a taste several times, so I already knew he loved it. I fixed us both one at lunch, and cut his piece up to cool while I ate mine. He watched me eat, giving me his sad "please, please share" look I always get when I eat that. After I finished I hand fed him his piece and he gobbled it right up! After he ate he took a nap but when he woke up he was running and playing, he seemed to feel great. He has been like that most of the evening. I decided to try the beef at supper tonight. It was still a little frozen in places and apparently he hated that. He picked it up, chewed once, then spit it out. I defrosted it a little and he ate it all in just a couple of minutes! He ended up eating 25 ounces today. He has been back to look for more several times. I have discovered over the past couple of days that he likes his food about room temperature, he won't eat it if it is very cold at all. He still has not pooped since yesterday morning. Is that normal? Thank you for your help.

Michelle

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WhiteWave

Slippery elm powder will help his tummy and poop issue.

Oatmeal or rice cooked with ground beef is what I do for upset tummies and stop raw until they feel better.

Guest heathertrent

One thing I forgot to add...Doodles gut took to raw like I do to chocolate, but initially, Carl's gut had a tough time digesting bone and he would hork up some sharp and scary looking pieces. I added organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar to his food and it did the job for him. I would, from time to time, pull back on it to see how he did, it took about a year for him. He has no problems with bones now, once in a great while he'll hork up a scary bit, but that happens maybe once every 6 months or so.

I think that has been part of Riley's problem, he doesn't do well with the bones yet. I am going to a store in NOVA next Saturday that sells several different raw mixes, some of them with bone. I am going to take it slow with the bones. Thank you.

Slippery elm powder will help his tummy and poop issue.

Oatmeal or rice cooked with ground beef is what I do for upset tummies and stop raw until they feel better.

I can't give him anything with corn, soy, wheat or any kind of grains because of food allergies. He seems to feel better and he is eating, now if he would just poop. Never thought I would want my dog to poop so much, lol! Thank you.

Michelle

Edited by heathertrent

Your lucky to have all that stuff available to you! I had to start giving London dry food mixed in because I couldn't get the vitamins right and couldn't find anything reasonable other then ground turkey. So I ended up switching to Honest kitchen "preference" where you can add your own meat and the veggies and vitamins are all there.

Guest Marsroving

He will start poohing soon, just don't over do the bone! Although not enough bone will result n runny pooh! It's hard to figure out the balance but room temperature meat is the way to go! Don't give frozen meats, in the wild the meat would be fresh and warm. Try to think about how it would be if they had a natural kill. You want to try to mimic those conditions with the meat as much as possible. So room temp or slightly warm will be more appetizing for sure.

Guest heathertrent

Your lucky to have all that stuff available to you! I had to start giving London dry food mixed in because I couldn't get the vitamins right and couldn't find anything reasonable other then ground turkey. So I ended up switching to Honest kitchen "preference" where you can add your own meat and the veggies and vitamins are all there.

I found this company, http://www.blueridgebeef.com/welcome.html that seems to have really good quality products. I called a company that sells their products, http://www.bestofbreedllc.com/blue-ridge-beef and will ship to your home or you can pick it up in person. I called their number and spoke to John. He was extremely patient and knowledgeable. He said the number was actually his cell phone and I could call him with questions anytime, even on evenings and weekends. I have exchanged several emails with him as well and have not yet purchased anything from them. I have been extremely impressed with their customer service. I am going to their store on Saturday to purchase some things for Riley and for my cat. I am switching him to raw as well. Now I just have to decide what I want to get. I looked at the Honest Kitchen Force and Love products before deciding to try this. I am not sure if Best of Breed ships to your area but if so they offer several different mixes, some with bone and some without.

Thank you.

Michelle

Edited by heathertrent

Guest heathertrent

He will start poohing soon, just don't over do the bone! Although not enough bone will result n runny pooh! It's hard to figure out the balance but room temperature meat is the way to go! Don't give frozen meats, in the wild the meat would be fresh and warm. Try to think about how it would be if they had a natural kill. You want to try to mimic those conditions with the meat as much as possible. So room temp or slightly warm will be more appetizing for sure.

I hope it gets easier to find the right balance. I gave him two ounces of chicken heart and chicken liver yesterday evening to try and get things moving. I am hoping he will poop when I take him out in about thirty minutes. He seems to feel much better now, I just wish he would poop. It has been forty eight hours. I will offer room temp or just slightly warmer only from now on.

Thank you for the advice.

Michelle

Guest heathertrent

I am so excited, he finally popped after 48 hours!! The last time it was all liquid but this morning it was partially solid. When he came back in he ate 14 ounces of food and seems to feel great. Thank you again for all the advice and helping me not panic!

Michelle

Guest heathertrent

Egg shells will act like bone and firm things up-just a pinch of them

I did not know that. I know this is a stupid question but do I just break the egg then add it shell and all to his meat? Thank you.

Michelle

You need to grind it into a powder. I wash & dry the shells & grind it in a coffee grinder. 1/2 tsp per pound of meat.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest heathertrent

You need to grind it into a powder. I wash & dry the shells & grind it in a coffee grinder. 1/2 tsp per pound of meat.

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.

Guest heathertrent

Riley is doing wonderful on raw! I can't believe how excited he gets when it is time to eat. When I defrosted his ground beef he put his snout on the counter near the microwave. After I removed it he watched while I mixed everything, drooling and licking the entire time. He tries to start eating before I get his bowl down. He has never been this excited about food and he is so much more active. He is doing so great, I am really glad I switched his food. I know it was the best thing for him. He is only pooping once a day, in the morning, but it is firming up and he acts like he feels great. Thank you all for the wonderful advice, this forum is such a blessing!

Michelle

Wow that didn't take long! Good for you for trying it out. :chow

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I can't give him anything with corn, soy, wheat or any kind of grains because of food allergies.

You'd be surprised how much eating raw could change this allergy perspective. Kasey "was" allergic to many many foods, in addition to environmental allergy. Gradually now that he's on raw, the allergies are non existent. It really was all diet that was the trigger and the contributer. Give it some time, and you can reintroduce "grain" to the diet if you wish. He likely was allergic to the processing of the above in kibble, and not that in the pure raw sense.

YAY! Go Riley!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest heathertrent

Wow that didn't take long! Good for you for trying it out. :chow

Thank you!

You'd be surprised how much eating raw could change this allergy perspective. Kasey "was" allergic to many many foods, in addition to environmental allergy. Gradually now that he's on raw, the allergies are non existent. It really was all diet that was the trigger and the contributer. Give it some time, and you can reintroduce "grain" to the diet if you wish. He likely was allergic to the processing of the above in kibble, and not that in the pure raw sense.

YAY! Go Riley!

Thank you. I am hoping in a few months I will be able to slowly start trying to add some things in, starting with strawberry Newtons. He loves them but I have stopped giving them to him until we get his tummy better.

He has only been pooping every other morning, should I be worried? He is eating better than he ever has and he acts like he feels great.

Michelle

Guest heathertrent

HELP!! Riley is still not pooping everyday, it has been a little over 48 hours. I thought he might be getting too much bone so I did not give him any bone yesterday or this morning but still no poop. Any ideas or advice? Thank you!!

Michelle

What have you been feeding and what did you give him yesterday that wasn't bone?

Organ (only a little) should help get things moving if you did give too much bone.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest heathertrent

I have been giving him ground beef with chicken gizzards and chicken heart in the morning and a chicken quarter in the evening. Yesterday I gave him the beef, gizzards, and heart for both meals. When I take him out we walk for about 20 minutes each time, four times a day. He doesn't try to poop or act like he needs to. Thank you.

Michelle

Edited by heathertrent

Maybe it's taking a while for his belly to adjust. He had pretty bad poop for a while, right?

Guest heathertrent

Yes, he almost never had completely solid poop. He always pooped first thing in the morning and right before bed each night. Sometimes he would go in the evening after supper as well. He has not pooped in a little over 53 hours now. Thank you.

Michelle

Guest Marsroving

Yea, I know it's hard not to worry about every little thing with our greys because we love them so much, but honestly it sounds like you're doing everything correctly and his body is just adjusting. Give him a good 2 weeks on a stable raw diet and don't worry unless he is showing signs of discomfort or straining to poo, with no poo coming out. Not to long ago someone fed their grey nothing but chicken backs accidentally and the poor dog didn't poo for a week!!! But after the right adjustments were made everything worked out, ahem.

Ya for poop! I do remember reading similar problems on other raw groups. It is a completely different diet from processed food and one that contains virtually no fillers so it can take time to adjust. Hopefully things continue to go well and his body becomes more "regular." :)

Guest heathertrent

Yea, I know it's hard not to worry about every little thing with our greys because we love them so much, but honestly it sounds like you're doing everything correctly and his body is just adjusting. Give him a good 2 weeks on a stable raw diet and don't worry unless he is showing signs of discomfort or straining to poo, with no poo coming out. Not to long ago someone fed their grey nothing but chicken backs accidentally and the poor dog didn't poo for a week!!! But after the right adjustments were made everything worked out, ahem.

He doesn't seem to feel bad at all and he has not been straining. I am so glad it was not a full a week, I would have gone crazy! I worry and stress over everything with him.

Ya for poop! I do remember reading similar problems on other raw groups. It is a completely different diet from processed food and one that contains virtually no fillers so it can take time to adjust. Hopefully things continue to go well and his body becomes more "regular." :)

It does make sense that he would need to adjust. Hopefully after a couple of weeks he will be more regular.

Thank you!

Michelle