Dog Park Help

Guest cassy

Guest Scarter55

If you ask them, it's because their little one "thinks he/she is a big dog" -

Lady thinks she's a small dog. So I guess I'll just go straight to the small dog side of the park from now on. :bs

Guest Trammell

If you ask them, it's because their little one "thinks he/she is a big dog" - it doesn't matter that their little fluffy (or not so fluffy) could be innocently trampled if a bunch of big dogs started playing rough around it and it got underfoot. Or if it decided to try little bossy-britches attitude toward dogs that don't like it and got snapped at (which might not harm a bigger dog, but might do real damage to a tiny).

I respond with, "well I think I am a super model, and even though I have let everybody know I am one, I still don't have a modeling gig!" I laugh, but hopefully they get it.

I don't let my IGs and grey play together because of the size difference, and I would never put them in a large dog park to be trampled. They probably thought since it was an IG it could out run the others if it needed to *sigh*

Guest kkaiser104

I'm sorry to hear this. Seems like that owner just doesn't understand basic dog behavior. We have a dog at our part who is tiny (probably weighs 5 pounds max) and the poor things hates the dog park. I don't blame her, she's so little and the majority of the dogs at the park are 30-60 pounds). The owner has been yelled at more then once (never by me) about picking up her "baby". Dogs go crazy over that. I've always thought of it as when someone holds something over your head that you really want. What are you going to do? Jump for it.

Definitely leave if this guy shows up again. We have an owner like that at my park and when she brings her (aggressive and bullying) cattle dog in everyone leaves. No one even says a word anymore. It sucks but it's better then having an injured (or worse) dog.

Guest maidmarcia

I've always had bad experiences with Jack Russells and Boxers at the dog park. The Jack Russells border on psychotic, often attacking larger dogs, egging on fights and being little sadists. The boxers are generally out of control and play very rough. Usually when either of those breeds come into the dog park I leave. I don't trust them. Perhaps if their owners were more hands on it would be a different story...

Also, we have a 5 month old cockapoo we take to the dog park who weighs about 15 lbs. I NEVER pick him up. If bigger dogs are getting too rambunctious, I just walk with him to another part of the dog park. The minute you start picking up your small dog, you breed monstrous behaviour.

Edited by maidmarcia