Aminocaproic Acid

I took Missy into the vet for redness around her vulva and redness on both inside upper legs. Vet said she has vaginitis and gave her simplicef. Also noticed swelling on ankle. She did fall twice this past week. She cannot not tolerate NSAIDs anymore. She has LS. Vet prescribed aminicaproic acid to help re-absorb blood into her system. I am nervous about giving missy anything new..as she is aging (14) her stomach is so much more reactive. I am confused of out the use of this..I found some information saying it is used for degenerative myelopathy I. Dogs. Other says for bleeding. I had to wait it get it from the pharmacy, so I haven't started it yet. The swelling on her leg looks less than yesterday..so now I am thinking why bother?

Amicar is used for amputations and OSU now uses it as part of their dental anytime a dog has teeth removed. I've never heard of dogs having side effects from it so I don't see the harm in using it.

If she just has bruising from a fall, you could also apply Arnica gel topically if you don't think she will lick it. But you shouldn't be afraid to use the Amicar I don't think.

The only other thing I can think to add is that if you feel she bruises really easily or bruises start to appear that you can't attribute to an actual injury, you might want to get her platelet count checked.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Still not following your vet prescribing Amicar-it only helps prevent post operative bleeding-does not re-absorb blood. It's a safe drug and won't hurt to use I just don't see the need to.

I would still to contiune to clean her vulva with dilute chlorhexadine solution (nolvasan) daily.

Edited by tbhounds

Still not following your vet prescribing Amicar-it only helps prevent post operative bleeding-does not re-absorb blood. It's a safe drug and won't hurt to use I just don't see the need to.

I would still to contiune to clean her vulva with dilute chlorhexadine solution (nolvasan) daily.

I am confused as to the use of it as well. My regular vet is in tomorrow. I will give her a call. I hate to give something if it is not necessary!