Anyone Tried A Chriopractor For Their Hound?

Guest iconsmum

Every one knows my view on chiro based on the guy that manhandled Rex and had to muzzle the sweetest dog ever as he was lashing out in pain during his adjustments. We went twice and I wasn't going to put him through that any more.

I tried to do all the right things - I made sure he was AVCA certified. On top of that he was a DVM and an instructor at the local chiropractic college. Afterward my then vet said " I wish you would have asked me. Acupuncture has a much better proven clinical track record". :(

I have had the same experience, only worse. Personally, I think I'm not buying in anymore. But acupuncture is a whole different story, as is acupressure. Both of those have been consistently and gently effective for a few of my dogs, and me too. Plus I have huge respect for TCM of all types.

Not my business, but is she skeletally a bit young to be in agility maybe?

Not my business, but is she skeletally a bit young to be in agility maybe?

No, because she's not jumping or weaving until 15 months. At this point "agility" is just learning handling, learning focus, building relationship, working on learning to tug properly, tunnels, learning 2-on-2-off without actually going onto contact equipment, learning to lay down immediately on the table, and doing jumps at 8 inches (which for a dog of her size is a step not a jump) in order to learn handling.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Glad your experience was positive..There have been many times in my tenure as a greyhound mom that chiropractic was the ONLY thing that would help. Carrie goes for more acupuncture than Chiro these days, but, she gets her hips adjusted.

My mom's girl banged her side on their stone fire pit during a tangle with a raccoon shortly after she got her. Took her in and he fixed her right up, even noted that her voice box was out of alignment :lol and Mom realized she'd really not ever barked since she got her, and after that she barks all the time :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad to hear it went well. Ryder went in for his yesterday and other than working his shoulder a lot, he's no worse for wear, and the limping on our walks ceased. It really does do wonders and I'd never believe it if I didn't see it.

Go Kili!

My mom's girl banged her side on their stone fire pit during a tangle with a raccoon shortly after she got her. Took her in and he fixed her right up, even noted that her voice box was out of alignment :lol and Mom realized she'd really not ever barked since she got her, and after that she barks all the time :lol

HAHAHA, wish she left that alone instead? That's awesome!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Way too long to read. I'll have to try again when I'm not at work and have a longer attention span. :hehe

While I do not think a chiropractor can fix everything and anything, and I am not totally on board with routine visits just for no reason, I do think that it sometimes it may be the only fix. Kili basically has the same problem that I did with my pelvis. One side was higher than the other for some reason and had gotten a little stuck. It was a problem. I'd be running on the ultimate field and would be off balance really easily (no kidding when one leg is 3/4" shorter than the other) and I would also pinch a nerve every so often which would be severe enough that the pain actually caused me to pass out a couple of times. I don't see any other way that could have been fixed except by adjusting the hip back to where it should be. It was adjusted and the problems stopped and it's never been a problem again (I obviously took a tumble or something at one point and have not taken that tumble again since). I did also have my neck done a couple of times and it did help but that makes me really nervous so I do massage therapy for the next instead now. I'm not a fan of messing around with the neck. Also my neck I can manage by using ergonomic chairs, remembering to have good posture, etc. My hip wasn't something I could do anything about. So since Kili has the same problem and was probably caused by trauma while she was playing with other dogs, I'm more inclined to have her see the chiro. I would be less comfortable with it if it was her neck. Also having seen how gentle this chiro's adjustments are I'm quite happy to have her see Kili for this particular problem.

I do my own adjustments on myself sometimes. :hehe I cross my arms over my chest and then have my BF pick me up, and that causes anything that's tight to pop. He doesn't do anything other than pick me up, so I figure if that's what my body wants to do then that's cool. Doesn't help my neck though. :(

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Massage is really the only thing that had helped my neck :nod

Carrie's hips get uneven too, sometimes its visible. After her adjustment they look normal again and she moves much easier. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

The link reviews, in cartoon form and lay language, the scientific basis for chiropractic (none) and the proven benefits (none). You'd do as well to take your dog for a short, gentle walk and pet her a bit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The link reviews, in cartoon form and lay language, the scientific basis for chiropractic (none) and the proven benefits (none). You'd do as well to take your dog for a short, gentle walk and pet her a bit.

I would argue that that isn't true. While I don't think it has the kind of science behind it that I would prefer, I would argue that given just the responses in this forum that suggesting it has NO benefit is untrue. I would agree that depending on the situation it doesn't necessarily have LASTING benefits, which was why I stopped going for my neck. It did absolutely correct my hips. I'd had ongoing issues for several years and my sports therapist had first identified my hips being the problem when I went in for ongoing ankle issues and starting of knee issues (the weakness in my hips caused my other joints to have to compensate). Later after lots of strengthening exercises they noted that my hips were out of line. Had my hips adjusted and nary a problem since. There is definitely a correlation. I suppose I can't strictly say that there is causation.

Kili was moping on the couch every night and acting very sore for several days, including the day of her appointment, in spite of me taking her for walks and petting her. She was adjusted and the same night she was back to normal. Again, I suppose we could argue a coincidence but that's a pretty convenient coincidence considering I can once again work her over jumps and I'm currently watching her tear around the house like a goof. But maybe my walks and petting fixed her. I think that's unlikely though.

I like good solid proof as much as the next person but I like good results too and it would be naive to think we know it all. Science is constantly changing its mind as new discoveries are made. There are lots of medications that we use for diseases other than the ones they were developed for... not because they have been scientifically proven to work, but because someone tried it off label and saw improvement.

Like us on Facebook!

Chiropractic isn't new, isn't science-based, and has nonetheless been studied quite a bit, without showing results beyond placebo. Folks have shown that the placebo effect is real for pets as well as for people, but it seems odd to pay for that. Your dog, your money.

You're right. My dog.

And I'm not paying for it anyway. Insurance is.

Like us on Facebook!