"potty Yard" Surface Suggestions?

Guest Roc

Hi all!

My yard is looking horrible these days due to dog urine stains. I was thinking about fencing-off the area in back of my garage for Tango to use as his new bathroom.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what would be the best surface to lay down in this new potty area other than concrete or gravel? Definitely something that makes for easy clean up, doesn't absorb odors, allows for good drainage & is easy on the paws.

Has anyone used sand?

Guest Doggone

The area that Autumn uses has mulch. It seems to drain well, doesn't cling to her paws, and I can spray it with water after "poop patrol". Also, it doesn't seem to hold odors, which is major, given our Texas heat. :D

Guest Dancer

My boys also have used mulch...amazing that it doesn't seem to hold odors. Over time it breaks down...and when I pick up the poop - I pick up a bit more. Bottom line - you need to keep adding more.

I've used sand and my dogs love it. It drains well, but it tracks in on their paws. I've also used pea gravel - dogs are not crazy about it, but it does drain well, doesn't track in, but after a while it does develop an door.

For odor - cuz it always happens - I've used http://earth-smart-s...uctDetail&id=24 . It is a plant extract that really works well, doesn't hurt the dogs or vegetation...plus it is earth friendly.

Guest Clawsandpaws

The turn out pens in most kennels use sand. We do at the adoption kennel I volunteer for and I love it. However, if it's hot, there is sometimes a smell. Then again, we have 55 dogs peeing all over it 4-5 times a day, and we don't always have time to rake the sane every turn out. I think the sand is awesome, and plan on using it in my own yard someday. It is SO easy to scoop any kind of poop, and it's easy on the dogs feet.

Do a search here on Hog Fuel. You may need to put it in quotes for the search function to find it. Some GT'ers have reported success with this type of mulch because it is finer and softer. It also has less splinters than other mulches.

We have a 12x26 fenced area that is used only for a potty area - no play or running. in the winter, the grass gets muddy due to freezing and thawing of snow. Last year i covered the area in horse stall bedding (wood shavings). it worked well, and the mud was eliminated. The shavings are soft and can be raked if necessary. They are also cheaper than mulch. A couple of compressed bales go a long way.

This is 4-6 inches of shavings covering the mud in our turnout yard last spring. The area in the foreground is actually dormant grass and not mud. Over time, I ended up covering the whole yard and will do so again at the start of next Winter. This took about 5 bales.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzEtMjAxMzAyMDgtMTU0NC5qcG

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 2 years later...
Guest grey_life

My boys also have used mulch...amazing that it doesn't seem to hold odors. Over time it breaks down...and when I pick up the poop - I pick up a bit more. Bottom line - you need to keep adding more.

I've used sand and my dogs love it. It drains well, but it tracks in on their paws. I've also used pea gravel - dogs are not crazy about it, but it does drain well, doesn't track in, but after a while it does develop an door.

For odor - cuz it always happens - I've used http://earth-smart-s...uctDetail&id=24 . It is a plant extract that really works well, doesn't hurt the dogs or vegetation...plus it is earth friendly.

I have also had success with Earth Smart products. Very helpful staff and a quality product. The products are heavily diluted to save on shipping

Sitters I've used have often had their yards filled with straw (bedding for horses). Seems like the horsies got it figured out! I like the shavings idea for Rocket, but he's in Phoenix so I don't know about the snow exposure there compared to Chicago.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015