Bug Hunting?

Guest Rhea

Is it possible to train dogs to eat bugs on command?? I am deathly insect and arachnoid-phobic, and there is a gigantic beetle in the room with us (probably snuck in when I was opening the sliding door for Dane), and it is kinda crawling under the edges of Dane's dog bed. Meanwhile, he is laying at my feet, totally uninterested in doing anything.

Is there a way to get him interested in this thing so he'll go after it? My cousin has trained one of her cats to take care of bugs for her. (As well as cat vomit. She makes a specific kissy noise, and Little Mackerel comes running because he knows there is something tasty for him to eat.)

I wouldn't make him eat spiders, though, or scorpions. Obviously. But like earwigs and this gross scary guy, and crickets? Those would be good things for him to eat. And flies. Any way to encourage this behavior??

Also, please send help, I don't think I'll ever get off the couch again.

EDIT: I have trapped it underneath a large glass at this point. Dane sniffed at it and then was totally uninterested. *Sobbing* How could you let me down bb? Is it because it might be a roach instead?? Is a roach not as tasty as a beetle?

Edited by Rhea

Guest Katherineaz

LOL I have two Cavaliers that will eat the dead flies after I kill them! One of my other dogs likes to lay on the crickets and roll around on top of them until they die. LOL!

LOL I have two Cavaliers that will eat the dead flies after I kill them! One of my other dogs likes to lay on the crickets and roll around on top of them until they die. LOL!

Ugh I hate crickets. They're so noisy :riphair

Dane is clearly not interested in this big beetle/roach thing though. He's sniffed at it a couple times now, but now he's just napping. I will have to wait for mom and dad to come home and take care of it. I was seriously hoping my dog would be a bug vacuum for me!

Slide a piece of cardstock under the glass. Pick up cardstock + glass. Convey outdoors. Lift up glass. Run! :lol:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Slide a piece of cardstock under the glass. Pick up cardstock + glass. Convey outdoors. Lift up glass. Run! :lol:)

That requires much more bravery than I posses. It took all my courage to trap it in the first place. I am not fooled by it's current position, curled up on its back either. I am sure it is a ruse. Even if it wasn't, I couldn't bring myself to potentially risk touching it anyway. *hides under blanket armor*

Guest RMarie

When we adopted James, we were told he hunted bugs. I thought he would be my hero dog. I was wrong. He hasn't once gone after a house centipede crawling across the living floor. The only 2 types of bugs he's even shown interest in were flies and bees. He loves trying to chomp the bumblebees that fly around my potted plants. Because of this, we keep benadryl on hand.

Yes, yes it it!

My last dog was trained to come running and eat the offending insect when I screamed "Buuuuuuuuug!" He was masterful at his craft, too! He was quite the blood thirsty beast, really. His list of kills was embarassingly long. Sadly, not just bugs.

You have to be careful though. Some dogs, just like people, are allergic to bees. We almost lost a female English Setter to a bee sting.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

That requires much more bravery than I posses. It took all my courage to trap it in the first place. I am not fooled by it's current position, curled up on its back either. I am sure it is a ruse. Even if it wasn't, I couldn't bring myself to potentially risk touching it anyway. *hides under blanket armor*

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Marsroving

Mars is able to tell the difference between bugs he should kill, like flys, and bugs mama has warned to avoid like bees and wasps! He's very adept at taking out flys.