Cost Of Levetiracetam Extended Release (Generic Keppra Extended Releas

Hi,

Does anyone use the levetiracetam extended release for their seizure dogs? Zephyr is currently take the regular levetiractam 500 mg three times a day. I'd really like to switch him to the extended release so I could give it twice a day, which would be a lot easier to stay on schedule. But, so far the cost seems to be at least twice as much for the extended release. I have been getting the regular from Target for $42.55 for 90 pills, one month supply. Last month it dropped to $32.25, but I don't know if it's going to stay that low. Their price for 40 days of the extended release was $86.85. All of these prices are with a discount card that they have and are to apply. At the $86.85 price I won't be able to switch him though. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the $86.85 seems about the normal price or if there might be less expensive places to get it. Thanks for any help.

Thunder is on the XR from Costco. It was about $300 for 3 months.

Check goodrx.com/pets

I am going to switch where I get his from.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Hi,

Does anyone use the levetiracetam extended release for their seizure dogs? Zephyr is currently take the regular levetiractam 500 mg three times a day. I'd really like to switch him to the extended release so I could give it twice a day, which would be a lot easier to stay on schedule. But, so far the cost seems to be at least twice as much for the extended release. I have been getting the regular from Target for $42.55 for 90 pills, one month supply. Last month it dropped to $32.25, but I don't know if it's going to stay that low. Their price for 40 days of the extended release was $86.85. All of these prices are with a discount card that they have and are to apply. At the $86.85 price I won't be able to switch him though. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the $86.85 seems about the normal price or if there might be less expensive places to get it. Thanks for any help.

Are you getting a price for the 500 mg KeppraER bid or the 750mg KeppraER? I've found that the prices for the ER and the regular are pretty much the same for a months' supply but it can vary for both of these depending where you go?

Thanks for the suggestion to check goodrx.com. The quote is for 120 pills of the 500mg. He would take 1.5 of the 500 mg twice a day. Although on Monday I'm going to ask them why not just prescribe the 750mg. I think they don't know it's available in the 750mg now.

Thanks for the suggestion to check goodrx.com. The quote is for 120 pills of the 500mg. He would take 1.5 of the 500 mg twice a day. Although on Monday I'm going to ask them why not just prescribe the 750mg. I think they don't know it's available in the 750mg now.

If he is on the 500 regular tid then my understanding is that he should be on the 500 ER bid - you don't increase the dosage to make it 1500mg for the day. Is this a neurologist or the regular vet prescribing it? I thought the same thing when I went from the ER to the regular, I thought it was going to be less money because less pills but it wasn't.

No experience with that particular medication but I did learn when pricing Piper's seizure meds that it pays to check with lots of different pharmacies. The difference in price from store to store was surprising.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 2 weeks later...

Thunder will be going from 750 mg a day to 1000 mg. He hates the keppra pill taste and fights me. Now I will have to shove down 2 (500 mg) pills at a time. blah

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17