"american" Raw Hide

Guest Addie

I have been buying raw hides that say they are American. On the back it says "from American cows" then in small print they say "made in Mexico" So I'm guessing they are cows that live in America then they send the hide to Mexico to be made into treats. Are treats like that ok?

I don't feed raw hides, so I'm no help there. But here is my thought. American cows could be raised in Mexico. Mexico is in South America. American does not necessarily mean United States of America. Any place in North America or South America could be considered American.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

I don't feed raw hides, so I'm no help there. But here is my thought. American cows could be raised in Mexico. Mexico is in South America. American does not necessarily mean United States of America. Any place in North America or South America could be considered American.

Oops. That should say Mexico is in North America.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

From what I understand. USA ships out a lot of cow hide to make raw hides to countries around the world. So it is very likely that the skin is from USA, but it was cured and chemically turned into dog chews in Mexico/Brazil/China. The big issue is with the chemicals a different country may use to cure the hides and the amount of time that hide spends in shipping. I try to only get raw hides that were "made in the USA", but sometimes I'm fooled. Usually I can only find the Made in the USA raw hides at smaller local stores and not the big national stores like Petco or PetSmart. IMHO chances are getting a raw hide from Mexico once isn't going to hurt your dog, and quite possibly they are perfectly fine, but I'd definitely keep an eye out for the small print that tells where the raw hide is made from now on.

JoAnne, Instagram username mizhunie.

Brooke - Runnin Gamble
Trixie - 7 lbs of furry kitty love

Tucker - WW Charlie Sheen
Elmo - RIP buddy 3/16/12 (miss you so much!) Rex - Four Wheeler 4/18/17 (RIP buddy)

Rawhides are basically the by-products of tanneries. The skins are sent there, chemicals are applied to remove the fur, preserve it, etc. and the under layer is usually sent away to make rawhides. The further it is shipped, the longer it will sit and the more chemicals/bleaching/lime could be added to sanitize it and preserve it. Mexico probably isn't as bad as some other places, but I am always wary when a food product tries to "trick" me into thinking the food comes from one country, but it really doesn't. Most likely your dog will be fine, but I would try to get Made in U.S.A. ones as they likely needed a lot less treating. Also, avoid the bleached and or dyed ones as that is a definite sign they have been treated.

Guest OPointyDog

I've stopped feeding mine anything but rawhide from American cattle processed in the US. I've found some of the Boots & Barkley ones at Target are made in the US from US materials. It seems to depend on the shape, so read the label carefully.

Feed stores are another place to look. We have a local chain called "Country Max" that carries American rawhide.

Guest FreddyGirl

Rawhide is dangerous to dogs, not easily digested, causing life-threatening intestinal blockages.I no longer give them as treats once I learned this.

Merrick makes wonderful natural treats, like Wizzlers. My dogs go nuts for them.