First Accident - 1 Month In...

Guest javakaty

Guest javakaty

We've had Nica for a month (today) and haven't had any accidents so far. She gets free reign of the house while we're gone (up to 9 hours) and is completely fine. Some mornings she won't pee even if I take her out for 15+ minutes and then my husband takes her out for another 15 minutes....

She hasn't figured out how to tell us she needs to go outside (we haven't heard her bark or roo yet, and only random whines/squeaks when she yawns); but we take her out before we leave and as soon as we get home, a few times in the evening and right before bed.

Last night we went out an hour or 2 before bedtime and she peed...when we decided it was time to go to bed we figured we wouldn't take her out since she had just gone (and sometimes doesnt go on the last pee break if we go out a few hours earlier).

Last night she left her bed in the bedroom in the middle of the night and ended up in the living room...I thought it was odd, but she likes the living room better because that is where we spend most of our time. Woke up this morning and there was a huge pee spot on a blanket that had fallen off the bed.

Any advice? We've been so lucky that we haven't had any accidents until now, but we're disappointed in her for not telling us she needed to go out in the middle of the night (although we've never had to take her out in the middle of the night and she's been fine), and disappointed in ourselves for setting her up for failure by not taking her out for the last pee break of the night.

We're hoping this isn't the beginning of new habits....do we dismiss this as a 1 time thing (our mistake) or do we need to be concerned that we might have a bigger issue???

I would probably chalk that one up to myself. Her leaving the bedroom unusually was your first clue maybe she had to go. I would consider her doing that a way of telling you she had to go. Combine that with her not getting her last out and you have your answer. Oh well, live and learn. :). Sounds like she has been doing great.

siggy2.jpg

Guest Marsroving

When mars first came home, I figured out very quickly any middle of the night movements not inspired by strange noises meant that he needed a potty break. I discovered this on day 5 when he walked out of the bedroom, went to the front door, stood there for a minute and then I heard that oh so familiar tinkle tinkle sound lol. Lets just say its never happened again and I actually gave him kudos for "trying to go outside". We have him trained to the point where if he has to potty in the middle of the night he will come to the bedside and nudge or lick me until I get up and take him out. Happens once ever couple of weeks.

You need to establish a routine whether she wants a routine or not.

I hope she is getting some actual exercise and not just being taken out for the occasional potty break?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest psdirector

The only accident that Mr. Tibbs has ever had in the house was about two weeks after he arrived with his brother and it was because I didn't take him out for his final pee break - he didn't seem to want to go . Hutch was sick at the time and I was preoccupied, so I let it go. In the middle of the night I heard a torrent of pee from Tibbs. Totally my fault. Now he has to go out for that last pee break whether he thinks he can skip it and go straight to bed or not. We haven't had an accident since. Hutch will get up around 5:30 AM to pee and Tibbs gets up then only because his brother is up. Since they eat breakfast at 6 AM, it works.

Guest Waterdog66

Yup, we established a routine with Audrey straight away and whenever unexpected things happen; (Like Accidents) it has always been a break in the routine. (We alter the routine AT OUR PERIL)

Now that she has been home for almost 4 months she able to handle small changes to the routine but if the schedule gets too pear shaped, all sorts of unexpected things start happening. (5a Roo Session for example)

Once the routine is established, you will know how much it can be altered without issues.

Guest mebenz

I've had Fred for 2.5 weeks and he's only had a couple accidents and was mostly due to his food issues which I'm working on trying to get the right fix. He would leave my room and poop in the living room in the middle of the night. Last night was because no matter how many times I took him out (4 times between afternoon and bedtime) he wouldn't poop so I was kind of expecting it. He used to claw at the back blind when he really needed to go but he didn't do that. Should probably leave the bedroom door closed so he will be forced to let me know he has to go. If it's only once in a month, I wouldn't worry about it. He's great during the week when it's the exact schedule but weekends kind of mess up his poop schedule.

We have had our dogs for over 3 years (the grey for 4+) and we still are babygating the dogs into the bedroom at night for this very reason. Our non-grey has decided that she has the option of indoor bathroom breaks, so if she's near us we can hear her getting restless and take her out. (Right now her problem is she's on prednisone, which causes thirst and the corresponding full bladder. She doesn't really have much of a "tell" even when we're there with her - it's panting a bit and staring at me instead of my husband, who doesn't "get" her tell so he never takes her out when she's panting and looking at him.) She doesn't even try to tell us at night, so we have to be on alert for her restlessness.

Good luck! Routines are pretty important, so maybe you can get by with just making sure you stick to the routine that you had been doing. If you don't see repeats, it seems like maybe this was your mistake and that she is really trying to be good. (And wash that blanket really good!)

Guest javakaty

thanks everyone for your feedback! Blanket is washed (with bleach...which is rare in my house).

She is getting plenty of exercise, and at this point we are just chalking it up to our mistake for not taking her out for her last break of the evening.