Rear Foot Inflammation - Fluid Draining, Ongoing Battle!

Guest jetska

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results from the labs came back, they looked for atypical infections, fungi etc... nothing! The vet wasn't unhappy about it all but said it might take quite a while to heal that hole in the bottom of her foot. I ordered a medipaws boot so we might very well get a chance to use it :P

Saw the wound last night, there is a lot of healing to do, I suspect she is going to be using the boot! I didn't take any pics as I thought it might be a bit gorey for that but now people are asking for pics so I'll take some on Sat during the next bandage change.

Another checkup today, she has a good stable bed of granulation tissue and is now off the antibiotics.... I got the Medipaws boot in the post today, got the Medium and it's the perfect size - it is AWESOME, thanks so much for the recommendation guys!

Glad to hear good news! Another vote for Manuka honey here! Encourages granulation, draws out oozy mess, and prevents infection.

I used if on Ace when he shredded his lower leg and needed 72 stitches. I am now using it on an open wound on his neck. My vet had never heard of it. She was so impressed that she now suggests it for many of her patients. You can get in in a health food or vitamin store. It lasts forever. Good luck!

The open area has halved in size in a week. Well on the way to healing up. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will be home free. Barbie will miss all the attention she has been getting from random people in the neighbourhood.

• 2 weeks later...

so healing has stalled somewhat. She still has about a 2mm area on the bottom of her foot that hasn't healed much over the last week. The surgeon wants to keep dressing it to keep it moist and keep healing happening. Last Tuesday he was happy to discharge Barbie's care back to my local vet, however my local vet did a bandage change today and didn't think it was healing fast enough, so we are going back to the surgeon on Tuesday. She has been cleared for regular walks now by the surgeon though and I am thinking that the healing stalling has suspiciously coincided with the increased walk length. I am wondering if we should go back to 10min sojourns for toiletting instead of the 30 minute walk we did last night.