Nightime Behavior Problems

Guest Shontel

Guest Shontel

I've had my retired racing grey for about a month and a half now...3 year old male, he's extremely shy...he was fostered (with another grey for about 6 weeks) He would not come out of his crate for 3 days (except to go out when I put a leash on him) so now, once he started sleepin outside the crate, he slept in the living room with my other dog. He has always gotten up at like 4 or 5 whining to go out...I caved and let him (probably mistake #1) he continues to whine early in the a.m. but goes right out and does his business...he had stomach issues so I though, so I justified letting him go early.

Well, last night, he decided at around 12:30 he was gonna play, squeaky toys, turned over bedding....I came out of the bedroom and slept on the couch which I frequently do so he would settle. he got up again whining at like 3am...I didn't respond and he eventually settled down...then at 5:45 he got up again, I just was to exhausted to fight it so I let him out....

I know I'm not being a good pack leader...I want to teach him he needs to sleep all night until we get up without having to crate him...please any suggestions from seasoned owners would be awesome!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Shontel

My dogs are always crated for the first couple of months that they arrive home so by the time they start not sleeping in the crate they've already gotten the hint that nighttime is sleepy time. Beyond that I ignore anything unless I really think there's a problem (needs to go out, having diarrhea, etc.).

If your dog is not sleeping in the bedroom with you that might be the first thing to try. I definitely wouldn't be going out and sleeping on the couch, but that's just me. If you want to confine his movement a bit without crating you could tie 2 leashes together and tie him down to the bed post. Might be controversial but I don't think that really counts as staking out. If you're worried he's really going to do anything crazy in the middle of the night and jerk his neck you could use a harness. Personally I'd just use a crate. But I'm mean to my dogs! :P

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I do something similar to what Krissy suggests. I keep my fosters gated on the side of the bed (a space about 6'x4'). They cant move around and get into trouble, and usually don't make much noise.

Guest Shontel

Thanks for your replies!! I think I will try the bedroom with the gate thing...and I think you are right about the exercise...I usually take him to the park a couple times a week, but this heat has been simply prohibitive! I will try and make those few adjustments..thanks to all!! Any more suggestions are welcome!!

Guest OPointyDog

I agree with the exercise - even just mental stimulation is a good thing. I've been making a point to keep our busy guy occupied as much of the evening as possible so he is awake in the evening and therefore tired at bedtime. A long and/or vigorous walk, something to play with, something to chew on, a couple trips outside, a snack, some play time, a bit of training, and he's exhausted and will sleep through the night now. One trainer told us not to let him close his eyes between the time we got home from work and bedtime. I can't quite manage that, but I do wake him up and make him do stuff so he's more tired! If only he would clean the house!

I know exactly what you mean about giving in so you can sleep - once the behavior has started it is pretty hard to ignore, so preventing it in the first place is easier.