A Brilliant Solution, If I May Say So Myself

Guest LauraB

Guest LauraB

Dillard discovered our bed, (my fault), a few months ago and decided he didn't want to sleep in his crate in our room anymore. He would go into the crate, sleep for a bit, and then start whining and crying and howling. He could go on for for hours until we gave in. He won. Then we gave in totally and let him sleep at the foot of the bed. From there he progressed to between us and finally sprawled out and unmovable, which resulted in my being half off the bed.

So I brilliantly thought of a way to make the bed an unattractive place for him. He hates the vacuum cleaner, avoids it when it is left out, and he won't come into a room when it is there. So I put the canister on the bed, at the foot. Dillard was not pleased at all and stayed in his crate with the crate open. We also put 2 dog beds close to the bed and sometimes he moves onto one. So now we sleep with a vacuum cleaner and we sleep all night. The vacuum never cries, howls or whines, but it is disconcerting to admit that we sleep with a vacuum cleaner in our bed.

Dillard gets a good night's sleep and so do we.

Guest FreeholdHound

I agree.... BRILLIANT! Harry doesn't know what our bedrooms look like - off limits. He has his space ( crate or 3 dog beds of his choice) we all have ours. That's what works for us. :)

:rofl Thanks for a good laugh this morning

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

This probably belongs in cute & funny, which it is, although personally I'd not put up with that nonsense. I'd train the dog what "off" means, and make him sleep on his own bed if he's a bed hog.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

:rofl

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

OMG! This is wonderful! Ingenious! Bravo! :bow

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 2 weeks later...

This is hilarious :hehe

Are you guys still sharing your bed with the vacuum? Watch it, maybe it will get attached to the bed too and start howling to be brought back in!

Guest Waterdog66

Awesome: Definitely shows him which side of the leash the brains are.

Hopefully this won't work to desensitize him to the vacuum and next thing you know he won't sleep without it :flip

Hilarious, but in the end you have just traded a dog for a vacuum. Although I guess it is easier to sleep with a vacuum.

....Harry doesn't know what our bedrooms look like - off limits. He has his space ( crate or 3 dog beds of his choice) we all have ours. That's what works for us. :)

your lucky - I have a Grey that would go through a wall if he was separated from me. He absolutely will not touch our bed (that would be a violation of his perfect etiquette) but he must be able to see me at all times - so it's a dog bed on the floor but in the same room.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Amis_Ma

Bawwhaaa....picturing the look on Dillard's face when he discovered the dreaded vacuum cleaner took his place in the bed! :rules No vacuum cleaners allowed!

Guest LauraB

It's 2 weeks later and we are now a Happy Family, me, DH, Dillard and Mr. Vacuum. Dillard stays in his crate with the gate open so he can stretch his legs, and we all sleep the night through. Mr. Vacuum is totally undemanding and since he now lives in the bedroom it's now very convenient to vacuum the bedroom almost everyday so there is much less white dog hair on my black pants and sweats.