Do Antibiotics Cause Increased Thirst/urination?

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

My boy just finished a 2 week course of antibiotics for a cut on his foot. I noticed that while he was taking the antibiotics, he drank A LOT more water which naturally resulted in increased urination. Now that the meds are done, he is back to normal, but I am really curious: what is it about antibiotics that cause an increase in thirst and urination? This is his second time since I adopted him where he has had to take antibiotics and this happened last time, too. It isn't a big deal or anything, but I am just more or less curious why this happens! Does anybody know or has this happened with anybody else?

thanks!

I suppose it's possible that hounds suffer from dry mouth, just like humans do with some medications. It could also be instinctive, knowing that he needed more fluids to help himself get better and replace anything he might have lost. But since it was closely linked with the meds, it's likely more like a dry mouth phenomenon, or a result of any salt compounds within the antibiotic itself.

I'm with TBhounds.

George has been on a LOT of antibiotics and they never changed his behavior in any way--but he has a cast iron stomach. If you've ever taken antibiotics yourself, you may have felt queasy. I know I have.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Also, antibiotics can produce an awful taste in your mouth. One I had to take had me waking up in the middle of the night, trying to spit out my tongue to get rid of the taste. It was the first (and only) time I didn't take the entire prescribed dose all the way through to the end. I, um, accidentally dropped the last pill down the sink.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)