Meet Italy!

Guest Katherineaz

Guest Katherineaz

So, exited to finally have Italy home with us!! We drove up north on Saturday to meet with her and just feel in love with her! The intro with our Cavaliers went GREAT!! Only issue we have is that she has hardly eaten. Where she was living she was being fed people food non-stop and because of that she's over weight. Do I just keep pushing the dry dog food and hope she'll get hungry and eat? Thanks!

1004844_10201740869793164_1723277094_n.j

Congratulations on the adoption of Italy! she looks like she's going to be a good snuggle buddy. You could try mixing in something more like people food such as yogurt, but just a little bit so she gets that flavor in there, and then gradually decrease the yogurt.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Congratulations! I love her dark nose, and looks like she is making herself right at home.

She will get hungry and eat in due time, be patient - make sure she has lots of water available to her.

Enjoy!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

What a love! :beatheart So did you decide to keep her name as Italy (it was going to be Prada, right)? She is SO pretty and it looks like she's already made a lifelong friend. Glad all went well with the other pups. I agree with the above suggestion that it might be helpful to mix in some stuff she's used to and gradually decrease that. Her appetite might also be a little off just because of the new environment.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Katherineaz

What a love! :beatheart So did you decide to keep her name as Italy (it was going to be Prada, right)? She is SO pretty and it looks like she's already made a lifelong friend. Glad all went well with the other pups. I agree with the above suggestion that it might be helpful to mix in some stuff she's used to and gradually decrease that. Her appetite might also be a little off just because of the new environment.

Yes, we have gone back and forth regarding her name. Family vote was to keep Italy! She is such a sweet girl. :beatheart I did do a little shopping and ordered a stunning collar for her!!!

Yes, we have gone back and forth regarding her name. Family vote was to keep Italy! She is such a sweet girl. :beatheart

Italy is a really cute name. We played the name game with Sweep too and ended up keeping the name she came with. It just suited her best!

I did do a little shopping and ordered a stunning collar for her!!!

And so it begins... :hehe

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Momlinda

Cpngratulations. She is beautiful. Do you know why they were feeding her people food? Maybe because she wasn't eating well for them? My girl is very strange when it comes to eating. She has always been on the thin side because she only eats when she is very hungry. And it may be in the middle of the night! She doesn't even eat treats if she isn't hungry. So weaning her off the people food would be good.

Guest Katherineaz

Cpngratulations. She is beautiful. Do you know why they were feeding her people food? Maybe because she wasn't eating well for them? My girl is very strange when it comes to eating. She has always been on the thin side because she only eats when she is very hungry. And it may be in the middle of the night! She doesn't even eat treats if she isn't hungry. So weaning her off the people food would be good.

She lived for over a year in an assisted living home. They could not get the little old gals to stop feeding her (candy, hotdogs, etc.). When they would drop food she would go after it and had a couple of snapping issues, which is why they had to rehome her. I just can't leave her food down as my Cavaliers are PIGS and would eat it all too. LOL! I know her new home and new schedule is stressful for her so trying to take our time. :beatheart We love her so much!!

Welcome home, Italy! Congrats all around! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congratulations!

I've had several who were reluctant to eat at first, even if they came from a kibble-only environment. She'll eat when she's hungry enough.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

She looks lovely! :)

I think it depends what you want to do. We always mix something interesting (and wet) with their kibble on the basis that 1) eating the same old dry kibble every day must get pretty boring and 2) at the racing kennels here that's what they're used to eating.

People food isn't bad as such. I don't mean cheese sandwiches and chilli etc - you have to be sensible - but I cook them a stew of meat with plenty of gravy and add in whatever veggies I might have handy. I use chicken carcases, beef heart, beef, turkey, lamb heart and occasionally a little liver, but not much of that or it goes straight through Sid. Not all at once, of course; they might get chicken cooked up with a lamb heart or two, or maybe beef mince with turkey leg, for instance, and a handful of green beans or carrots. They use all kinds of veggies at the kennel, including cabbage, but ... uh ... I tend to leave that one out!

They get a (very) large tablespoon added into their kibble, or sometimes some tinned sardines or herring instead of the stew.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Italy is beautiful! Congrats! I always mix just a couple of spoonfuls of stuff into our hounds' food to make it interesting (and to help get rid of human leftovers, because I can't stand food going to waste). They love any kind of leftover cooked veggies, any leftover meat or gravy from said meat, spoonfuls of soup, casseroles, etc. etc. Like I said, only a couple of tablespoons per meal. We're not dealing with weight issues here, though.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Dane didn't eat much for the first few days he was with me. I did entice him to eat once by putting a bit of warm chicken stock in his food, but eventually, as he became more comfortable, he started to eat on a regular schedule. (He'd been free-feeding where he was fostered.) It's part of the adjustment of getting used to a new home. For those first 3-4 days, Dane pretty much ate one meal a day, and very slowly at that, haha.

She's a beauty!

Guest lunasmom

Dane didn't eat much for the first few days he was with me.

I have only had Luna for a few weeks but she was the same way. For the first 5 days or so she only ate a few bites of kibble at each meal, maybe up to a half a cup. She would eat treats eagerly but I didn't want to give her TOO many. After that I guess she got comfortable/hungary enough and started eating again. Now she eagerly eats every meal.

Congrats! Italy is beautiful!

:confetti Congratulations and welcome home Italy! :confetti

I also add a couple of teaspoons of wet food to our girls' kibble. I also put some canned pumpkin on it too. Sometimes I use meat baby food (the infant pureed kind) and spread some on top of their kibble. They love it!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Congratulations!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross