Wondering About A Rooing Episode

Guest k9soul

Guest k9soul

I've had Rudy a little over 6 months now and had concluded he just wasn't a roo-er. I had played various rooing videos as well as foolishly rooing at him myself and he'd listen, whine, even bark, but he wouldn't join in.

Now today I was at my desk and I heard him giving small roos in his sleep. I picked up my video camera with the hopes of catching some on video, but then he sat up. However, to my surprise he then began full out rooing. I hit the record button on my camera. I'm not even sure he was fully "awake" at first. My other dogs were kind of frozen in confusion for awhile, and he just kept going. I know I'm probably projecting here, but it sounded longing/sad to me. Finally one of my other dogs jumped up (which you can't see in the video) and that is when Rudy jumped up and ran barking into the living room. I followed him and his hackles were up as he looked out the window. He stopped barking at that point and just looked. I looked out as well and nothing unusual seemed to be going on, just a couple people walking down the road. Rudy watched them a moment but he does not bark or care about seeing other people walking around, so he finally turned around and came back to my office and laid down.

So I keep wondering what happened there? Obviously he was having a dream that definitely was still on his mind when he awakened. It did not seem the relaxed, playful rooing I've seen at times but more of an intense/searching quality to it. I'll put the video here, but any thoughts from you more experienced greyhound people?

Edited by k9soul

I think you're right he woke from a dream and got stuck in a pack-calling-together rooing episode; you can see him listening for anyone out there. Being near the wall would have reflected the sound weirdly too.

But they can easily hear things that we can't, like Peggy hears cats climbing up the wooden fence on the other side of the yard in the middle of the night

Wow! My Dustin and JJ both do soft ROOing in their sleep...but I would imagine like us, sometimes a dream sticks with them.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Doggone

I played it for Autumn and it sure kept her focused! :D

Unfortunately, since she only roos in her sleep, and never when awake, I haven't any input about Rudy's episode, other than to say that that was some really serious roo-ing :D!

Guest Waterdog66

Are you sure you were not playing some Muddy Waters or Willy Dixon on the background?

Sure sounds like the blues to me :flip

"Especially with my head pounding"

"I can't help missing my babe"

"I long for your and your expert hands"

"To Release this white heat from my head"

Hmm, I'm not sure what he was saying but all three of my boys joined in on the pack roo when I played the video! When Rudy stopped all three of mine went right back to sleep.

I can get one of mine to roo just by saying, "I ruv rooooo" - which gets the second one going. But the third one rarely joins in. The only time all three of them do a pack roo is when I'm cleaning and won't let them into the bedroom or when I'm outside cutting the lawn and they're stuck inside. Every time they do the pack roo it sounds so sad and mournful - which makes me laugh hysterically because I know just how "hard" their life is. I always assume they're telling me just how sad they are that they can't be near me. :rotfl

Edited by sdisto

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest k9soul

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I just had the feeling he was calling for "someone" perhaps his old pack that maybe he had been dreaming about. It actually made me a little sad in a way. Probably silly, as I am sure he's a very happy boy here. When I take him to the Fun Runs he really seems pretty immune to the rooing of the hounds in the kennels. He must have just been having a very vivid dream! He sure can sing the blues though, he put on quite a performance!

Awww Dane didn't roo here, but he did bark and whine quite a bit. And he kept looking around for where the doggy was! I feel like I played a mean trick on him just now XD

I've had Rudy a little over 6 months now and had concluded he just wasn't a roo-er. I had played various rooing videos as well as foolishly rooing at him myself and he'd listen, whine, even bark, but he wouldn't join in.

I think he's got it :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

All four of them here went crazy, barking and then a full-out roo session! If I had known they would do that, I would have videotaped it myself! Thankfully, my windows are closed since it would have disturbed the little kids next door!

Thanks for sharing that!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I played and Nando came running, ears pricked up like radar dishes. He looked under the computer desk and tried to look behind the monitor. Then he looked at me and started whining. Then a couple of small roo's, the first I've heard from him except when he's sleeping. He had a very concerned look on his face.

Guest Waterdog66

Audrey was definitely interested when I played this on the computer for her so I threw it up on the big screen and when she herd "Rooing" in full 5.1 Surround, she went totally Berserk.

Took here a bit to realize that the sounds was coming from inside of the house and then she got totally confused.

Afterward I Kinda felt bad about doing this because it really seemed to get her going. (Was this just a tease?)

My dog once woke us up in the middle of the night, rooing. Freaked me ut, it's not at all like him. I did hear one siren way in the distance, but he never yowled at one siren before. I went back to bed and when checking the news the next morning found out there had been a 4 or 5 alarm fire in the area (huge house fire) and every fire truck in the county was probably there. I only heard one, but I bet with his huge ears he heard a whole lot more.

They hear a lot of things we don't.

Guest Dancer

Played the video...both my boys chimed in!

As others have said....dogs hear lots that we don't. Mine will roo when they hear a siren .... often I can't hear the siren until I open the window.

Guest grey_dreams

I've never heard Zariel roo before, even when I have played videos of greyhounds rooing, but he did now when I played your video of Rudy.

Guest RMarie

I played and Nando came running, ears pricked up like radar dishes. He looked under the computer desk and tried to look behind the monitor. Then he looked at me and started whining. Then a couple of small roo's, the first I've heard from him except when he's sleeping. He had a very concerned look on his face.

This is exactly what James does when we play rooing videos. He gets very concerned and whines. He goes looking for the source. Poor guy. Never thought he could roo until he did it once while sleeping. :)

I was going to say that there may have been a siren going that you couldn't hear!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge