Wow Can He Run - I Was Knocked Over!

Guest Rocket

Guest Rocket

My Rocket -aka- rockstar was in the back yard doing his business and when he started to run back to the front door he ran by me and got caught up in the leash I was holding my Yorkie on. Boy, was I ever thrown on my butt. My poor little dog didn't know what hit her.

Lesson learned - never have a dog on a leash next to you when your Grey is free in fenced back yard. He never runs into me - just to the side of me. He didn't see the leash.

I routinely have a dog on the leash with everyone out in the backyard. The new ones take a little time to learn how to NOT kill anybody, but they do learn eventually. Until then, you need to just be really aware of where everyone is all the time.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Once a Grey starts to run extreme caution must be taken under all circumstances. Even without obstacles like leashes on other dogs, etc., the danger is real. Greys sometimes make mistakes, slip, or misjudge their moves and the moves of others. Each dog is different with some more clumsy, some greater risk takers, and others quite sensible and safe. Learn to know when your Grey is about to run, and how they run, and take appropriate measures.

I'm glad you, and your Yorkie are okay.

Once a Grey starts to run extreme caution must be taken under all circumstances. Even without obstacles like leashes on other dogs, etc., the danger is real. Greys sometimes make mistakes, slip, or misjudge their moves and the moves of others. Each dog is different with some more clumsy, some greater risk takers, and others quite sensible and safe. Learn to know when your Grey is about to run, and how they run, and take appropriate measures.

Agree with above. Adult size humans have landed in serious surgeries requiring extended hospital recovery stays from being knocked over by running Greyhounds. (Another person required surgery after tripping over a leashed hound who was allowed to walk crisscrossing in front of the human (instead of walking dog safely next to the human's side/thigh).)

You were smart to not allow the Yorkie to run off leash when your new Greyhound was outside. I would take that one step further by encouraging you to keep your Yorkie indoors when your Greyhound is free in the yard. Greys have too much speed, leg power, and weight to be safe running near (or tripping over) a small animal. Also, even though many Greys are safe with cats and small dogs inside the house, many Grey's view small animals as prey when in outside environments (for some hounds, prey interest can include a small animal being held in someone's arms when outside).

Greyhounds are wonderful... beautiful, loving, and very fast! :)

Guest Scarter55

But it surely is a sight to see our couch potatoes recruit some of their ample Fast Twitch Muscle Fibers :D

+1

I'm sure you all have experienced this before as well, but when Lady is running off leash (enclosed of course, usually at the dog park) people just stare and wait for her to take off...which she usually doesn't, lol! She only ever runs as fast as required to stay just ahead of the dog chasing her or catch up to the dog she is chasing. Of course, that is usually enough to get some ooos and ahhhs out of her captivated audience (ok, might be using my literary liscense just a little, but you know what i mean!)

A bit more for those of you out with running Greys: please don't just stand there when a Grey takes a strafing run at you. I have adopted the habit of dropping into a crouch with my legs close together and my arms wrapped around them - basically the cannonball position (and brace for impact).

Look at the video below - at the very beginning notice the lady. She is holding her legs together and flexes slightly as the dogs pass. This is good but the cannonball is better. Moments after this video was shot one of the black dogs slammed into me near top speed - her shoulder made contact with my knee. Because I braced for impact and was nicely crouched (wasn't using the cannonball then), I was completely fine. The dog however ended up with quite a bruise on its shoulder.

A final tip: if there are other people in the vicinity advise them to stand still when the Greyhounds run.

Does your dog run the same route back to the house? If so, would it be possible to stand somewhere else with the Yorkie?

A bit more for those of you out with running Greys: please don't just stand there when a Grey takes a strafing run at you. I have adopted the habit of dropping into a crouch with my legs close together and my arms wrapped around them - basically the cannonball position (and brace for impact).

Look at the video below - at the very beginning notice the lady. She is holding her legs together and flexes slightly as the dogs pass. This is good but the cannonball is better. Moments after this video was shot one of the black dogs slammed into me near top speed - her shoulder made contact with my knee. Because I braced for impact and was nicely crouched (wasn't using the cannonball then), I was completely fine. The dog however ended up with quite a bruise on its shoulder.

A final tip: if there are other people in the vicinity advise them to stand still when the Greyhounds run.

I've been the "dog catcher" for the speed run at GIG. I do something similar. I basically use the stance that a running back who is blocking for his quarterback uses when he knows that a 300 lb plus lineman is coming his way. I lower my center of gravity. In the 3 years I've done it, I haven't been knocked over yet and some of the dogs come in the 30+ mph range. We even had a few a few years ago that were in the 40-44 mph range.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.