Pattern Recognition?

Guest jschwe

Guest jschwe

So, superbird has had some level of SA since we got him back in December. He is much better now, but he still tends to "go" in the house when we leave him, about 75% of the time. We work alternate schedules, so there is always one of us home with him unless we go out somewhere outside of work. He shows no obvious signs other than these fairly small accidents, and he recognizes the muzzle when we take it out, and will usually just go lie down (he is only muzzled, not crated, he was much worse in a crate) however, when we go to church Sunday mornings, regardless of how long we stay out (sometimes up to 6 hrs) he has no accidents. We only go one or two Sundays a month but he clearly recognizes it, since he is not reacting. Is this because he recognizes a specific pattern of actions before we leave? Or could he just know what day it is? I'd like to transfer this behavior to other outings but I am not sure what about it is "working" for him.

Dogs are smart. Nando gets excited when he sees me putting on a T-shirt and jeans because he knows he has a good chance of going somewhere. However when he sees me putting on a shirt and tie he lays on his bed and mopes because he knows he's nor going anywhere.