Alkaline Urine-High Urine Ph

AEB

We tested the boys' urine after two recent accidents. We think Kevin was the culprit. The urine samples of both boys looked good except for the ph. The Ph was high in both boys: 7.5 for Kevin and 8.0 for Gamo. 6.5-7.0 is ideal. Both have concentrated urine. They both eat the same food (Orijen with some Honest Kitchen mixed in). I don't want my boys to develop crystals but am not sure what I can do about this or how worried I should be. Has anyone else dealt with this?

finalsiggy.jpg

How long did the urine sit before the vet tested it? Is vet sure there's no sign of infection -- no bacteria seen under the microscope?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How long did the urine sit before the vet tested it? Is vet sure there's no sign of infection -- no bacteria seen under the microscope?

The vet said they see no signs of infection. I brought the urine within 15 minutes to the vet. I am not sure when it was tested.

finalsiggy.jpg

Mandy had a problem with alkaline urine when I adopted her. With my vet's permission, I started giving her a cranberry pill every day. Before the cranberry pills, she had several accidents and multiple UTIs. After being on the cranberry pills for a month, we tested her urine again and it was right in the middle of the pH scale. She had one more UTI and 2 or 3 accidents in the subsequent 7 years. My vet had originally said that the cranberry wouldn't hurt and might help. It was such a good thing for us. I just purchased the Spring Valley brand at Walmart -- ~$6 for 60 capsules.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Try the cranberry tablets. They actually make one that is especially for dogs that I used for Lucy when she had an active infection - problem is that the canine one is about $60.00 for 1 month. Before her infection and now after, I'm back to using the brand from CVS. You might also want to check what they are eating - can't remember off the top of my head but, some foods will produce more alkaline urine.

I would also check with the vet and see where they stored the urine before it was tested. They may not have put it in the frig and just left it on the counter until they were going to test it - no sure if they will tell you the truth either or if they will even remember.

I wouldn't be too worried but, I would try and track down what is going on. As you mentioned, alkaline urine can lead to crystals. Maybe take another sample in and see if you can stay while they test it -- or better still -- check your local pharmacy and see if they have the PH dipsticks - this would let you test it yourself. They are easy to read. As long as they don't have kidneys issues, maybe you want to increase their intake of meat - give a few more tablespoons of cooked hamburger and see if that decreases the PH.