Anyone Else Have Gh Who Licks To Pacify?

Guest driser

Guest driser

After our GH eats at night and has gone out to do his business and "killed" a squeaky toy and is ready to hunker down for a sleep he first starts on his pillow and cleans his feet which ends in him getting drowsy as he licks and so he'll end up licking his pillow, not his feet, rhythmically until he's nodding off and then he moves to his kennel to officially pass out.

My husband calls it his "pacifier" routine. Is he "special"? :)

Guest IrskasMom

You asking us , if he is " Special " ?? I don't think there is anybody on this Forum who dosn't think their Houndie is " Special ". All of them have their Quirks and some times mine licks the Blanket or chews on his Dewclaw until I say : " No Honey " , then he goes to sleep. Mine Barks when he gets ready to eat , don't ask me why. They are truly "Special ".

He's as special as my Wink who has done this for the 10 years she has been with me.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

My bridge boy, Keno, did this. He would lick his bed, pillow, or his chest until he fell asleep. My girl, Carly, will sometimes lick her chest until she falls asleep.

You asking us , if he is " Special " ?? I don't think there is anybody on this Forum who dosn't think their Houndie is " Special ". All of them have their Quirks and some times mine licks the Blanket or chews on his Dewclaw until I say : " No Honey " , then he goes to sleep. Mine Barks when he gets ready to eat , don't ask me why. They are truly "Special ".

Oh, I forgot to add that my bridge boy, Keno, also used to bite his toenails. :lol

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:lol As I am typing this I am listening to Gracie lick, lick, licking her feet while she lays on a dog bed near my desk. I have covers on my furniture because she leaves big wet spots wherever she decides to settle down. At first I thought she had something wrong with her feet, but now I know she is just doing it to pacify herself. She too will sometimes lick her chest.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Yes, Kingsley does this.... you can watch his eyes kinda glaze-over as he get's into his "zone"

Since he has never licked himself raw, we let him do it as it does indeed seem soothing to him... for the 8 years we've had him, at least.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Patrick used to do this--fun when you sit on the couch without looking. :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Renie used to lick the sofa, but she also used to lick the wall if her bed was near enough, and that would progress to scraping it with her teeth and finally to making a hole in it. She did better once I got her a smoked bone to chew on.

Sid licks to soothe himself. He used to lick the carpet, or his bed, a LOT until we discovered and addressed his increasing pain issues, now he hardly ever does it. Not saying it's always linked with hidden pain issues, because clearly that's not true. But since it is a self-calming, self-soothing behaviour, it can be. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Scarter55

I've read that it is common for Greyhounds to groom themselves, almost like a cat, so I don't think it is that out of the ordinary.

Lady will often lick the carpet when she is tired...

Peyton will obsessively lick various fabrics (usually his bed and the sofa!). I accuse him of drugging himself since he'll get all blissed out and relaxed. ;) My understanding is that this kind of behaviour releases endorphins, which is why it is often used as a self-soothing activity by pups.

Yes, yes, my new girl Flower does this, pillows, carpets, me, if I lay on floor next to her, her paws, everything, total cat bath, and it does soothe her :P Sara used to do this too, all couch pillows were hers to lick, LOL

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten