Ripped Webbing Question

Maybe we should call it severed webbing? :rofl Rainy had a bit too much fun during her vacation and split her webbing completely in between 2 toes. Apparently she forgot that she's 9 years old.

She's almost completely torn off pads before but this is our first webbing injury. I'm trying to keep it dry and using some surgical scrub stuff on it a few times each day. From my flashlight pokings (which she is not happy about) It's not looking like the webbing will re-attach itself so I'm expecting it to take a little while for each side to heal.

Anyone know how long this will take to heal up? Should I just bandage it with some manuka money for a few days? It's hard to spread her toes to dry the area since it doesn't feel good for her. I've just been gauzing on some surgical scrub. Any other healing tips? Right now she's got a baby sock and vet wrap on because she insisted on licking.

------

Jessica

It probably won't reattach, and healing will take about as long as other foot injuries. Our boy Copper used to split a web every other month or so for one reason or another. I don't think he had any left by the time we lost him at age 12.

I found it easier to soak the whole foot than to try and apply anything to one area - like you said, it hurts. One thing to think about is, several times Copper actually had a sliver or small stick still stuck in his foot. He wasn't happy at all, but I learned to really inspect these injuries for foreign bodies. I just squirted a whole gob of neosporin in between the toes and sort of rubbed them together and tried to limit his activity for a week or so.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jettcricket

Hey Jess....my Duffy ripped his webbing a few years ago. Dr. Mimi just wrapped it up and we kept it clean. Healed up just fine. Hope Rainy heals up quickly. :)

I like that "manuka MONEY" just keep it dry, very short walks on lead and give it couple weeks if not bleeding a lot

LOL On yes that's what I get for typing with the laptop on the sofa. It's funny so I'm not even going to edit! :P

It's not even bleeding. It was a little oozy this morning but after the first cleaning there has been no more ooze.

It probably won't reattach, and healing will take about as long as other foot injuries. Our boy Copper used to split a web every other month or so for one reason or another. I don't think he had any left by the time we lost him at age 12.

I found it easier to soak the whole foot than to try and apply anything to one area - like you said, it hurts. One thing to think about is, several times Copper actually had a sliver or small stick still stuck in his foot. He wasn't happy at all, but I learned to really inspect these injuries for foreign bodies. I just squirted a whole gob of neosporin in between the toes and sort of rubbed them together and tried to limit his activity for a week or so.

I'm not sure she would stand there long enough for me to soak it. I've been poking at here while she's sleeping on a dog bed. Pretty sure there's nothing stuck in there with the help of the flashlight today. Glad to know it's totally not a big deal. I initially thought "no big deal" but then the worry wart part set in. "what if it doesn't heal and the extra webbing needs to be cut off by the vet" etc...

I think I will manuka honey it before bed tonight and bandage. That way I know she's not licking it while I'm at work tomorrow.

Hey Jess....my Duffy ripped his webbing a few years ago. Dr. Mimi just wrapped it up and we kept it clean. Healed up just fine. Hope Rainy heals up quickly. :)

Thanks Linda! I'm hoping she will be healed by next weekend! She likes to stand for the long car rides. :)

------

Jessica

Guest jettcricket

LOL On yes that's what I get for typing with the laptop on the sofa. It's funny so I'm not even going to edit! :P

It's not even bleeding. It was a little oozy this morning but after the first cleaning there has been no more ooze.

I'm not sure she would stand there long enough for me to soak it. I've been poking at here while she's sleeping on a dog bed. Pretty sure there's nothing stuck in there with the help of the flashlight today. Glad to know it's totally not a big deal. I initially thought "no big deal" but then the worry wart part set in. "what if it doesn't heal and the extra webbing needs to be cut off by the vet" etc...

I think I will manuka honey it before bed tonight and bandage. That way I know she's not licking it while I'm at work tomorrow.

Thanks Linda! I'm hoping she will be healed by next weekend! She likes to stand for the long car rides. :)

Looking forward to seeing you and the kids!

Elliott split his webbing after a hard run a couple of years ago - it bled pretty badly and we couldn't get it to stop. Our vet stitched and wrapped it. We had to take him in every few days to have it cleaned and re-wrapped by the vet tech. It healed nicely after about two to three weeks,

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

My bridge pup Clark split the web on one of his back feet. My vet stitched up the sides. He said there was no point in stitching the web back together. We stitched it because it would heal faster. Bandage off the next day, bootie on when he went out to keep it clean. Healed up very fast.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guess I should be glad it's not still gushing blood!

It's still bandaged with the manuka honey. I've been trying to resist messing with it today. I'll change the bandage tomorrow. She's bouncing around normally and leaving the foot alone. No muzzle needed. She's a good pup. ;-)

Glad to know the torn webbing is so common. Darn crazy dogs.

No heat in her leg above the bandage so hopefully it's healing nicely

------

Jessica