Remembering Slim Aka Ruthless 12/21/99 - 8/15/06

racindog

SLIM.jpg slimfestport21.jpgslimdoogglesbest.jpg112cabbd-615a-4272-b2bc-15473b538c02.jpg

slim_1harn8-051.jpge6160165-9447-4e36-bc96-0984b20b6668.jpgd8dccdb5-d80d-48fc-b5f0-b88824ddfdb8.jpg3a6dc450-d72c-4299-b0fb-67c55a8fd5b1.jpg

“He was such a fighter.” That’s what they said about Slim. Greatness, honor, and courage are not species or breed specific.

Slim was a warrior whose earthly mission was to protect. He took this very seriously. Nothing or nobody ever got by him to place any of his family or his family’s property in jeopardy. On only his 2nd night with us he was a pitiful starved creature weighing in at 47 lbs. when he should have weighed 70+ lbs. He didn’t know his family yet but when a young man wearing a full face helmet abruptly entered the room Slim perceived it as a threat to us and instantly jumped his poor pathetic self up and attacked! Luckily we were able to intervene in time. But that’s the way he was. His families and especially his Mom’s welfare always came first in his life. He was a real Mama’s boy and I loved it.

There were people who would not even come up on the porch because they were afraid of Slim- even though he was in the house! I always walked him with 2 collars and 2 leashes because I knew that he would probably attack somebody if he ever got free and I was afraid the law would shoot him before I could catch him. I couldn’t take ANY chance on him getting free. I also had to be able to restrain him when he was aggressive. He profiled people- and was completely uninhibited about acting on it. We could have walked down the same street without incident for a month then all of a sudden he would launch into a full blown attack at somebody who had made no apparent questionable moves or anything. I do mean launch too- he would typically target the face/head and launch himself airborne without any warning whatsoever in a full blown effort to attack them. He learned that his best shot was to do it on an angle too because that caused me to be pivoted by his sudden force and strength and increased the likelihood he could reach his target. Although I did not know what had initiated this type of response there was no question to me that he knew something about that person that I did not and it warranted his action. It undoubtedly was a "bad" person that he felt the world was better off without. This was a rare happening- but it did happen as a matter of course and you had to be aware of it and keep him safely out of “range” or somebody would get taken out. He would even notice and get aggressive toward somebody walking behind us if he thought they might be walking a little faster than they should etc. Occasionally I think he may have tried to “attack” a few people for fun but it sure looked serious and I honestly don’t know how far he would have gone. He did enjoy being a bad a-s.

He truly was ferocious in defense of his Mom. Once a St. Barnard that weighed twice what Slim did came after me- I don’t know why he targeted me but he did. (Slim had strong sai and people and other dogs could generally tell that they did not want to mess with him- maybe that was it.) Anyway instantly Slim put himself between me and the St. Barnard and attacked. I was trying to hold Slim back because even a winning fighter often gets bloodied and I didn’t want him hurt. This was a true testament to the old saying that “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” There was never any question about the fight in Slim and the St. Barnard disengaged and began circling us and lucky for everyone its negligent owner finally showed up. Another time he thwarted a burglary attempt while I was at work and drove off the offender(s). The door where they had begun to force entry was bloodied by the violence of him trying to get through it to them. Needless to say they fled. The other greyhound that was home was found hiding in the bedroom after having eliminated all the way there he was so scared. Slim was rightfully proud that he accomplished his protection mission yet again.

As you are aware by now he didn’t act like a greyhound. That’s because he wasn’t. He was a sentry dog in a greyhound suit. In the area of the city that we lived in he routinely functioned as a sentry dog. Every time we went for a walk he judged other people we encountered, monitored footsteps from behind etc. - it was the smart thing to do. You really needed to! When I moved to the country it was rarely necessary. I sensed how uncomfortable he was about not using his sentry dog skills. I know he felt like his skills, his purpose for being (as he himself stated through the animal communicator “to protect people”) were hardly ever needed any longer and that he didn’t have an important job. It was obvious enough that I picked up on this and actually talked to him about it when I seen it persisted. I told him that he did have an important job taking care of me and the rest of the pack and that he was more than just our protector- he was also our leader- the man of the house. I told him he just didn’t realize how important it was and what it meant to me -that I counted on him to lead and protect and that it was very important and he should realize that. He understood but it didn’t change anything. He was in fact living the “quiet life in the country” now and rarely got to express the very traits that were a part of him and made him who he was and that he thrived on. That’s why, incidentally, he was such a superior and dangerous sentry dog. He didn’t just exercise aggression to protect and defend- he did it with complete abandon and ultimate intensity because he enjoyed it. He lived for the opportunity to protect and defend. He was never more alive than when he was in the flow of attack mode. He LOVED it- had to have it. It was his favorite thing. It’s sad when something doesn’t get to do what it is. Slim was a sentry dog-a warrior. His element was somewhere he needed to be alert and on guard. Not a quiet farm in the country. He was kind of languishing- despite the great love we shared as soul mates. So even though he was so young it was just time for him to shed that pathetic greyhound body of his. It just didn’t suit him at all and he really didn’t like it either. For one thing he didn’t like to be “taken lightly”. Anybody who knew Slim-including me- knew that you did not trifle with him or he would bite you. He did not care for mushy kisses and stuff. Even I could not give him a kiss or a pat good night unless those teeth were secured first and honestly his family sustained more than 1 fairly serious injury/ bite because we let down our guard and inadvertently had treated him like a “regular” dog. But he would have died protecting us. It’s just the way he was. He knew who he was and enjoyed being cool and totally ruthless when necessary and didn’t mind and even enjoyed flaunting it. Yet in that greyhound suit people would not accord him any respect until he tried to attack them or bite them lol. And his greyhound body had even been so damaged by being starved etc. Weakness of any kind was not his game and there were limits to what he would and could accept. He was disgusted at the health issues in his body-it really angered him.

Our love was strong. He didn’t want to leave me. He fought so valiantly to stay. I don’t think he knew it was his time to pass over. The goodbye at the vets before surgery was typical with him resisting and refusing to leave until I came back and gave him another kiss and told him again that I loved him and that it would be O.K. He wouldn’t ever go with them without this ritual of saying goodbye/being reassured twice. I don’t think he really trusted anybody else but me. He fought SO hard; SO bravely; and in the end that big heart was stilled only by deadly chemicals. Slim, my beloved warrior dog would not…could not… quit fighting- even in such horrible pain against such overwhelming odds.

You were resuscitated and came back once and they told me how remarkable it was. When you coded they told me that they had to reverse all the pain meds they had given you as part of the resuscitation protocol but despite everything you fought back- and won-again! You were laying there with your head up and alert! But that stupid weak greyhound body of yours gave out yet again. And again you fought on. Four times the vet that was communicating between the trauma team and me told me that I had to give them authorization to euthanize you because you were suffering in an irrecoverable situation. Yet I knew what a fighter you were. I could not in good conscience take away your last opportunity to fight for your life. I knew how extraordinary your survival had already been. You had beaten the odds more than once already. You were no ordinary dog. So I couldn’t know that you wouldn’t win again. In fact I expected it. Being born from a starved mother, in the winter, outside with no shelter, and being starved yourself for the first 10 months of your life would have probably killed most dogs. Yet as a pup you literally fought with rottweilers for scraps/game to survive on. Finally after the 4th plea from the vet- who emphasized that all your vets were in agreement- I relinquished. I knew then that you were fighting a battle that we honestly couldn’t win and I knew you would never stop fighting regardless of pain or anything else- you didn’t have no quit in ya-ever. You may have had a greyhound’s body but you had a warrior’s courageous never quit heart. You were such a fighter. It was your nature. It was who you were.

I always wondered what would happen to Slim because I didn't think he would be able to live if he were not physically able to protect us. It just wasn't his nature. He seen his calling as being a protector and I wondered would he be able to accept physical decline if that was what old age dealt him. I thought well, maybe he'll be one of the few that remains strong and viable till the end. And that's of course what he did-but I didn't think it would come so early- at only 6 years old. But I did have serious doubts as to if he would ever have been able to accept being the one that needed help. Honestly I don't think he could have accepted that. I guess I really knew that he would never live long enough to get frail or weak- he couldn't. It was just his personality-every fiber of his being- was about taking care of his family. Sometimes the heart and spirit know what the mind can’t understand. God permitted me a glimpse into the spirit world and Slim still lives, is now and always my soul mate, and one day will help me to the other side. Till then he’s happily protecting and defending somebody-maybe us- and I’ll guarantee he’s not wearing a greyhound suit!

“For love is as strong as death….

Many waters cannot quench love,

Nor can the floods drown it.

If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house,

It would be utterly despised.”

Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Hugs to you as you remember your very special and very handsome boy.

Rest well, Slim.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A very very special boy who will always be remembered.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for the loss of your special boy.

Run pain-free Slim. f_yellow

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Well there he is. I don't believe I had ever seen the friend you of whom you speak with so much love and respect. Handsome, handsome boy.

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your very special boy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hugs to you as you remember your special boy Slim. :grouphug:grouphug

As you and I have discussed, Slim and Robin shared some, but not all, very similar personality traits. Robin, too, was definitely my warrior in a greyhound suit.

I loved seeing all the pictures of your boy. I hope that he and Robin have found each other at the Bridge and that they are hanging around together up there. They were both gone far too young but then it is impossible to picture this type of hound growing weaker into old age. It's hard to explain but I know you know what I mean.

Rest in peace, Warrior Slim.

:f_red :f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hugs to you as you remember your special boy Slim. :grouphug:grouphug

As you and I have discussed, Slim and Robin shared some, but not all, very similar personality traits. Robin, too, was definitely my warrior in a greyhound suit.

I loved seeing all the pictures of your boy. I hope that he and Robin have found each other at the Bridge and that they are hanging around together up there. They were both gone far too young but then it is impossible to picture this type of hound growing weaker into old age. It's hard to explain but I know you know what I mean.

Rest in peace, Warrior Slim.

:f_red :f_red

Thank you so much! There is clearly a connection between the two. Yes, I guess you know that you won't ever see them old but you just don't want to admit it to yourself. Its kind of hard to put into words- just like they are. The rainbow bridge is a very safe place with those two on the job for sure.

Thank you so much! There is clearly a connection between the two. Yes, I guess you know that you won't ever see them old but you just don't want to admit it to yourself. Its kind of hard to put into words- just like they are. The rainbow bridge is a very safe place with those two on the job for sure.

I am smiling as I read this. Hugely complicated souls who took huge pieces of our hearts with them when they left.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France