What Do You Stuff Kong With?

Guest Rocket

Guest Rocket

I recently stuffed my kong with pb mixed with dry dog food - he loved it, but after a few days his bowels were too loose.

Any suggestions? I did left over mac and cheese and mixed veggies the other day and he loved that too.

I want it to be healthy but not too healthy to mess up his bowels.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated for this upcoming week.

Amy

Guest Doggone

I put in small treats (either the loose kind sold at Petco/Petsmart, or the IAMS ones, if I have a coupon). Autumn doesn't like peanut butter, so I spray a little of the Cheezewhiz-y kind of stuff to hold it in (she loves cheese). I don't use much, since it's not exceptionally healthy, and I only use the Kong if I'll be out for a number of hours. Otherwise, I'll give her a biscuit-y type of thing and some kind of bone to gnaw on.

I did get the Himalayan dog chew that I read about here, but I'm waiting to give it to her when my regular schedule begins in the fall. It's supposed to last a long time, and is cheese-based, so Autumn will probably love it.

Tosh is not a peanut butter fan and I hate cleaning it out so I use plain greek yogurt which he loves. I mix some of his dry food with the yogurt so it freezes together and then put some yogurt in the opening so it creates a plug. I just deduct his Kong kibble from either his breakfast or dinner and instead of adding yogurt to a meal like many do he just gets it in his Kong instead.

This site has a lot of good suggestions (and some kind of gross ones!). I do kibble and a few small treats plus either unsweetened applesauce, plain/honey greek yogurt, or lowfat cottage cheese. I plug the big hole with a little cream cheese or peanut butter and freeze it overnight.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest OPointyDog

I've used lots of things - pumpkin, baby food (get the simple meat-only kind), rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, boiled beef, or even pulverized kibble mixed with water into a paste that then when frozen is pretty hard to get out. I usually put pumpkin mixed with broken pieces of dog biscuits, then seal the hole with all natural no-salt-added peanut butter. I use about 1/8 of a can of pumpkin in each Kong and try to mostly smear it on the inside walls so that it takes awhile for them to get it out. Freezing the kong is pretty effective and essential here!

Oh gosh I love the kong and I love of thinking of things to put it. First of all I always freeze them after I fill! A big favorite here is smashed ripe banana with some peanut butter mixed in! But I also use frozen peas and carrots mixed in with either baby food, yogurt, mashed up with weather kibble. All frozen fruits mixed with the above. I know there mis a recipe list on the kong web site but I pretty much use healthier choices and its great if I have some left over veggies I made for supper I will smash them up and throw in the kongs. Oatmeal cooked as well. Oh the list can go on and on! LOL

So far the only thing I've put in there is peanut butter, some kibble, and baby carrots (though mom said Dane didn't actually go for the carrots so, yeah XD)

Guest Scarter55

Lady always gets her Kong in her crate, with bed and blankets, so I'm always hesitant to use wet stuff like PB or pumpkin to avoid the mess in her crate. I usually put some dry treats that she likes in there, put something large that fits in the big hole (large treat or jerky) and than "seal" it with a really soft treat that can be smashed around the large one sticking out. But some great ideas here! I'll have to try some of them. I love the diagram!

Quick note on PB, which I'm sure many already realize. A lot of standard peanut butter is a lot more than just peanut butter. You'll get all sorts of stuff, includign sweeteners in it. I've found it hard to find pure peanut butter in standard grocery stores.

• 2 weeks later...