Sudden Diarrhea And Noxious Gas!

Guest cvdrumsta

Guest cvdrumsta

Hi everyone.

So until yesterday morning, Moon was doing great. She's been repeatedly wormed and on Merrick Grain Free for a few months now and has had, for the most part, wonderful poops.

But yesterday, four days after administering her Trifexis, she suddenly started having positively liquid poo and farts that curl the hairs inside your nose. I mean, sulfuric (rotten egg) farts.

Previously, when she's had the runs, I've always assumed it's the hookworms making a comeback, but this started right after her Trifexis--could they have surfaced just four days later?

I gave her a dose of pyrantel pamoate (which has helped her in the past) last night and we see the vet tomorrow (incidentally for something totally different, but I'll bring it up), so we'll see what happens, but I'd love your input, Greytalkers.

Thanks.

Guest PiagetsMom

Sometimes I see poop softening the day after the Trifexis, but not as many days out as that. Fortunate that you've already got a vet visit tomorrow and can mention it then :)

Guest cvdrumsta

So Moon had improved on the pyrantel, but this morning, the runs are back.

The vet didn't know what was going on. She recommended a probiotic for the gas, and I gave Moon a dose of FortiFlora last night. Could hookworms have returned just two days after pyrantel, or is this something else?

No unusual food, no change of diet, no change of lifestyle, no symptoms but diarrhea and stinky gas, just like with the hooks. Could the FortiFlora have brought the runs back? I'm at a loss.

Edited by cvdrumsta

How long has she been on the Merrick? Sometimes dogs will go through a 'honeymoon period' on a new food before it takes a turn for the worst. If you get fecal tests run, and everything comes back clean, I'd probably reconsider the food. Also, FortiFlora should help with diarrhea- never heard of a situation where it caused it.