Introducing Second Greyhound

Guest julestheteach

Guest julestheteach

We have a soon to be 6 yo male red fawn. We have had him for 4 years. We are meeting our potential second grey tomorrow. She is also 6 yo red brindle. Her current owner cannot keep her anymore and our neighbors recommended us. I am a tiny bit nervous ... we are meeting on neutral ground. We have his muzzle but he has never worn it... advice?

Relax. I think it is great you are on neutral ground for first meeting. I bet they will both be very excited to be meeting another greyhound. Let them have a good sniff "hello", but most of all try and be as relaxed as possible.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Relax. I think it is great you are on neutral ground for first meeting. I bet they will both be very excited to be meeting another greyhound. Let them have a good sniff "hello", but most of all try and be as relaxed as possible.

:nod

It always amazes me how much Greyhounds just 'know' their 'own kind'.

We've had multiple large breed dogs for 30+ years... they all got along just fine, but were never really 'close'.

When we got Nixon we had a GSDx and a PointerX...they all got along really well, but it wasn't until a friend's Greyhound came to stay with us for a few days that I realized the 'attraction' ?? or 'bond' ?? that these magnificent creatures have for their ' own kind'.

Within an hour, Nixon and Oscar were sleeping side by side on the same bed. ... Which had never happened ever with any of our other dogs.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Everything should be fine. If either seem nervous about a face to face, walk them side by side for a bit and then let them sniff. I had a senior girl that loved other dogs but she didn't like strange dogs rushing up in her face. I would introduce her to new dogs by walking beside them and that worked well for her. Most don't have this issue though. Just mentioned it in case.

Very exciting! Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

The other option which we recently used was to put the two dogs, muzzled, in runs beside each other but separated by the fence. If all seemed well, we put them in the same run. And then number three went into the adjacent run, and was then moved in with the others. All went very well. The second time they met, everyone was leashed and it wasn't on neutral territory, but everyone was muzzled and we were careful! But all went well and H came home that day.

The only thing we've had to keep in mind has been that the dynamics might change when the first dog realises that the second is here to stay on 'his' territory'. There might be some snarking was they sort things out, so be vigilant and relaxed. And remember that muzzles are your friend!

Edited by Brandiandwe

Don't be surprised if you get a few little growls between the two, they will just be getting used to each other. Use your muzzles, they will keep both pups safe during the adjustment period.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If you can have them meet on a walk that really works great. You walk your hound and have the other person walk theirs. Do not let them meet face to face, but the two humans walk side by side with dogs on the outside. Walk (no sniffing or marking) couple blocks to let the dogs get used to each other (muzzling is great) then walk to a neutral area and still muzzled let them meet while on leash and the humans just chatting. If all goes well then you can see if you want to let them off leash, still muzzled. Keep it all very casual.

Good luck. Can't wait to see how things went.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Where are you in North Aurora? I live pretty close and could help if you would like it. Also, was your hound a racer? If so, he has worn a muzzle for his entire racing career, just fyi.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One of my fosters lives in Tinley Park, another in Homer Glen, Oak Lawn even another in Summit. I know of lots of hounds by you. Go to the Crestwood Petsmart on the 2nd Saturday of each month and you will meet many greyhounds.

Guest julestheteach

Both hounds are doing greyt! only a little bit of snarking when my first one wants to eat her crumbs from her. She does not like our neighbor's dog at all. TG for our fence. She was mistreated by a chocolate lab in her previous home and our neighbor's dog is a choc. lab. we have to watch her she gets my first one all riled up towards the lab and they are friends.