My New Grey Is Refusing To Go Down The Steps Into The Back Yard!

Guest Rocket

Guest Rocket

I adopted Rocket last week - he is 3 years old and the sweetest, most gentle dog on the planet. That being said, I had to teach him how to go up and down stairs and he is now a master at it :)

When He first came, he was willing to go up and down the stairs to go outside into the fenced yard but now he seems to have issues with it. If he doesn't want to go out, he just won't budge.

Maybe I am taking him out too much? He has done this statuing when he goes on walks too.

Any advice? I was thinking of giving him his breakfast outside at the bottom of them steps.

The other problem we are having is he is waking up at 5:30 every morning - how can I get him to sleep later - I pee him right before bed.

Amy

Some more experienced owners will soon chime in but here is my 2 cents. For our new grey, acting confident really worked. In the beginning I would offer chase to go up the stairs. It sounded almost as if I was asking him if it was okay. Some one recommended that we just put his leash on and went ahead while telling ''lets go!''. I know it sounds too simple, but it worked for us. He went from not wanting to go near the stairs to going up them like a pro.

Also, time will do magic. At some point, something he wants will be down those stairs (maybe put his food there or a high value treat) and he will want to go by himself.

Good luck! :)

He's getting up early because he has always gotten up early. If you don't want to get up when he does, just tell him to go back and lay down. It may take a few mornings for him to get the message, but he will eventually sleep later.

How often are you taking him out? If he's had no problems with potty training, I probably wouldn't worry too much about going out often. Is he using the stairs when he "has" to go? If he just needs some more encouragement, make sure you give him a really YUMMY treat when he uses the stairs in/out. Really yummy treats can also be used to help him use the stairs when you want him to, and not just when he wants to.

Coming from a climate where it rains 9 months out of the year, I don't understand about the "feeding them outside thing," but if that's what works for you, then go for it. Ours all eat at feeders in the kitchen where it's easier to clean up. I do know that some people who feed raw will have their dogs eat outside, but again, there's that whole rain thing for me.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agreed that you have to be confident as you are 'alpha/pack leader' and they learn from you and any other pets you may have in the house. Zelda is a bit of a spook/nut still, although she was much more so when adopted. I have to be confident with her and with the foster I have who is very timid.

The day after adopting my first grey, he did the statue....my now ex b/f picked him up, carried him off the porch and set him on the ground....he NEVER statued again! Navy guy's pup tried statuing on me (honestly she's like 20 lbs)...so I'd pick her up, carry her about 10 feet and put her down...if she could talk, man the names she would have called me! :rofl

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest aecyoj

Stand and look at open backed steps, get down to your dog's level. You'll see that it is like looking out into open space. Now think about walking, into space. For you dog to overcome this use treats on a very random schedule, while coaxing him up the steps. It works every time.

If he was going up and down them not sure why he stopped. Other than he doesn't go down because he doesn't have to potty. I have 2 other dogs besides Jerzi my little yorkie needs to go out much more frequently than her but every time I let the little one out Jerzi comes and she will not go off the deck into the yard unless she has to pee or poop.

Now if I do go into the yard and call Jerzi she will come right down them. Havebyou tried calling him from down there? If he is not having accidents in the house maybe he just doesn't need to do his business and stays put. I have found with Jerzi she can hold it along time maybe because they get used to that at the track not sure, but I am home all day with her every day and she goes minimal from even my lab!

If he's done it with no problem, and nothing has happened, such as a fall, to scare him, personally I think he's being stubborn. You don't say how often you take him out but unless there's a health issue, more than every 4 or 5 hours isn't necessary. I bet he won't refuse to do the stairs when he really has to go potty.

As far as planting himself, my Annie Bella did this ALL the time the first week I had her. I dreaded walks and was practically in tears. A trainer gave me the tip of walking her in a circle. Keep the leash tight, hold the dog next to your thigh and start walking in a circle, with your thigh pushing on his shoulder. When the circle is complete, just keep on walking. Don't hesitate. That worked for me until I got tired of doing it 4 or 5 times a walk. I resorted to just giving her a firm push with my thigh on her shoulder area. It's quicker and got her feet moving immediately. Once the feet are moving, don't hesitate to walk. Also, don't let your boy control the walk. He pees. He poos. If he wants to stop at every flower to sniff, which may result in his planting himself, don't let him by not slowing down just because he does. A lot of people tend to walk at the dog's pace. The dog should be walking at the human's pace.

Guest Rocket

Thanks guys!

I have taken the advice you all shared and it is working like a charm. First off, I let him out less often now - every 4-5 hours is plenty for him.

If he hesitates to go down the stairs, I have a tiny bowl of kibble that I lure him with. He loves to eat, so he runs right down and I praise him and give him his kibble. I have been using the phrase" Go Pee" and "Go Poo." So far so good. I was just having him go out too frequently.

As far as accidents are concerned, he has had a few poo incidents - he kept going to the front door and going on the floor.

I have since blocked that area with a sofa and he hasn't had any issues since. I think he just wasn't sure where to go. It's tough to know when he needs to go since he doesn't bark - any suggestions on how you can tell- except for his body language? I have a feeling I will just need to keep to his schedule of 4-5 hours and not count on him letting me know.

He may have had a stomach issue then too - I stuffed his kong with PB twice per day when he was in his crate while I worked.

Any suggestions for what to fill the kong with?

He is a WONDERFUL guy - sweet with everyone - even our Yorkie! Great with young kids and all adults.

He is just an amazingly loving dog :))))

Amy

Guest psdirector

Hutch will whine and Tibbs will bark right in my face if he has to go badly enough and I haven't taken the hint. That took a while to develop, though.

Dane will whine a bit sometimes, but usually he'll stand in front of the back door, until I get the hint and open it up for him. (Although oftentimes it's just so that he can go out and flop in the sun for 5-10 minutes XD)