Greyhound-Only Obedience?

Guest NRN13

Guest NRN13

Does this exist? I'm in Northern Virginia and looking to take a basic low key, positive reinforcement obedience class. Would be even better just with Greyhounds. I've looked online but haven't found anything.

I doubt you will find anything just greyhound, unless it's a lure coursing/playgroup type of thing. Is there a reason you want all greyhound? There are still a lot of good positive reinforcement classes, and I'm sure there are some trainers who know and "get" greyhounds (ie. won't make a big deal about sitting, keep things short, etc.). It's good for greys to get used to other breeds as well and obedience classes are a great way for socialization :) Clicker training classes are always fun.

Edited by RedHead

Guest chardae

You could also check www.akc.org for any local obedience/training clubs. I would call their training director and find out who has sight hound experience; perhaps even an advanced student......and one or two private lessons with someone like this could get you a great start before going into group class. Also, consider contacting the agility clubs.....whippets and IGs are popular in that sport.

Good luck!

Guest LunaTheGreyt

When my standard poodle was a puppy (9 years ago) we did basic obedience/puppy class at All About Dogs, in the Woodbridge area. I think they were affiliated with Dogtopia.

Guest KPS915

We didn't do a greyhound only class, but our trainer definitely understood the breed and was great about giving us modifications when necessary.

We are fortunate to have a greyhound specialty training class here, but ITA with Sambuca - all that's really important is that you find a trainer who uses only positive reinforcement methods, and ideally one with experience training sighthounds.

The latter is helpful because in general sighthounds are more 'independent-minded' than e.g. herding or sporting dogs. IMO it's this independent nature that results in their getting bored easily with repetitive training requests - once they've shown you they get it, they're done!

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

I guess part of my thinking of course was the fun of hanging with other Greys and people like you all! But really, it's probably good for Cleo to meet other types of dogs, since that is who she will run across in her day to day life. Hopefully I can find a trainer with sighthound experience. I'll check the All About Dogs one too. Thanks!