Broken Metatarsal

Guest metoman

Guest metoman

I tripped over my boy Ozzie a few nights ago and broke one of his metatarsals. :( It's currently splinted and we're going to see the surgeon in a few days. Has anybody else experienced this type of break? What was the outcome and how long did rehab take? Thanks.

1073982_4699986352735_657566654_o.jpg

Edited by metoman

I'm a little surprised they're sending you to a surgeon for a broken toe. IME, not a whole lot can be done for broken toes. Just pad and immobilize, and give pain meds as needed.

FYI metatarsals are part of the foot not the toes...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

FYI metatarsals are part of the foot not the toes...

I know, but look at the x-ray.

ETA: Ohhh, okay. I was looking at that second toe. I see the break in the foot. Wow, that's totally snapped. :(

Edited by a_daerr

Is this a dislocation fracture? I am not really good at reading x-rays but am asking as my Maxi had a extreme dislocation fracture of a metatarsal. Options were to do a surgical pinning (approx 6000) and no future mobility or set it, bandage, keep her fairly immoble for 3 months to allow healing. We chose the second and then had a ortho brace custom made for her that allowed her to have full mobility of the leg while protecting it from dislocating again.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I'm a little surprised they're sending you to a surgeon for a broken toe. IME, not a whole lot can be done for broken toes. Just pad and immobilize, and give pain meds as needed.

It's not a broken toe--it's the metatarsal or metacarpal bone-whole different ball of wax. Being its only one brake I think if they can reduce the fracture they will most likely splint it.

Is this a dislocation fracture? I am not really good at reading x-rays but am asking as my Maxi had a extreme dislocation fracture of a metatarsal. Options were to do a surgical pinning (approx 6000) and no future mobility or set it, bandage, keep her fairly immoble for 3 months to allow healing. We chose the second and then had a ortho brace custom made for her that allowed her to have full mobility of the leg while protecting it from dislocating again.

That's exactly what I did too. Go up further on the foot. You can see the second longer bone is completely broken.

Jeffie broke a metatarsal when he first came home. It was a different type of fracture and not displaced as this one is - it was an impact fracture (he ran into his solid wood food stand :rolleyes:) but all they did was wrap it. Healed beautifully in a few weeks and hasn't caused him any trouble since.

Unlike his broken toe which ended up being amputated. That causes him to wobble when he puts weight on the foot. I'm sure that's going to have an impact on his hip and maybe his knee in the future. :(

This one should heal just fine if it's reduced and you restrict his exercise while it's wrapped.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Kirby broke one of his metatarsal bones and was in a splint for about 8 weeks and it healed fine with no lasting problems. They tried a Fiberglass splint first and Kirby broke the splint twice so they switched over to an aluminum splint and lots of padding and it worked well. One thing to look out for with splints is abrasions from the splint rubbing on a greyhound's thin skin. Please make sure they use lots of padding and check frequently for any rubbing.

Kirby broke one of his metatarsal bones and was in a splint for about 8 weeks and it healed fine with no lasting problems. They tried a Fiberglass splint first and Kirby broke the splint twice so they switched over to an aluminum splint and lots of padding and it worked well. One thing to look out for with splints is abrasions from the splint rubbing on a greyhound's thin skin. Please make sure they use lots of padding and check frequently for any rubbing.

:nod ...including padding between the toes. It was hard to decide whether to splint or not when my guy broke his toe. My girl had shattered a bone in a toe years before but she healed well without splinting. Her's was an outside toe on a back foot. My guy's was a middle toe on a front foot & he's a complete goof. I opted for splinting. He too broke his splint but not the second one. We did bandage changes twice a week. That's what it took to avoid pressure sores & ulcers. The only times we had problems were when we tried to stretch out the time between bandage changes. Three days seemed the maximum safe time.

Can't help you with info on broken metatarsals. Closest I've come is when I broke a metacarpal. It wasn't dislocated like your pup's & of course a broken hand isn't comparable to a broken foot.

Hope all goes well.

Guest metoman

We opted for the surgery to attached a plate to the bone for quicker recovery and better bone alignment. It's expensive, but the outcome will be more certain.