Questions On Rooing

My AKC boy, Truman, doesn't "get" rooing. If we try to incite a roo at home, he climbs on top of us and will try to lick our faces, smack us, etc. I get the feeling he's confused and thinks we're in pain. Henry, on the other hand, will roo up a storm once we get him going. I guess I'm just wondering if there are other greys out there who aren't roo-ers. Is it specifially a trait of track greyhounds? If so, why?

Guest RMarie

Alicia, as you know, James has never rooed, except once when he was asleep. :flip

If I roo at him or play videos of other greys rooing, he jumps off the couch and stands in the middle of the room looking confused, as if wondering 'I can hear the other dogs, but why I can't I see them?' He will usually start whining.

Edited by RMarie

Summit would never roo. We've been working on training a growl. And if he gets really excited he'll come up to you and stare at you and then bark once. But roo... never. Kili used to never really be able to bark properly. She had this really weird roo-y kind of bark when she would want someone to play with her. Now she has a big dog bark finally, but she sometimes still uses that weird roo-y voice. We could probably convince her to roo if we wanted to, but I don't like to encourage barking so we just don't. ;)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We have only ever gotten Sweep to roo by playing YouTube videos of other greys doing it. It's not something we do often because it's kind of pitiful to see her get so excited and then confused looking for dogs that aren't there!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest dblgreys

We live in town pretty close to our volunteer fire department and my DH taught ours to roo everytime the sirens go off. :hehe Which was really cute until they started doing it in the middle of the night with the sirens and we were sleeping. We have since taught them (for the most part) that during the day is fine. At night I have to tell them quiet. (which doesn't happen to often any more) And since they sleep in our bedroom they hear me and then quiet right down. Sometimes we just get them going for fun and they love it. :bounce2

Guest chardae

Our two greys never roo. Our poodle roos when I come home from work.....it's almost like he's telling me off for being away...LOL! Come to think of it, I don't think any of our other greys rooed.....but they will stand at the door and bark like guard dogs when someone approaches. Of course, when the visitor comes in, it's all lovey dovey; that's nice, but unfortunately I know they'd give the same kisses to an intruder as well. :hehe

All of my Greyhounds (including my home raised from 8-weeks-old girl) and my Galgo roo. One dogs starts it or, if I want them to sing, I start it. The majority of my fosters have done it too. I have not fostered or owned any AKC Greyhounds but I want to think that I have heard some of them at an event.

Elliott Roos, but Lea doesn't. Elliott never Roos unless encouraged, though. We attend a monthly greyhound walk and it starts with a group roo - he is always happy to participate.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Summer roos -- I read somewhere that Kiowa Sweet Trey pups are excellent rooers. At home, once every day or two, she'll sphinx and yip at me and that means "put on my video of the rooing greyhound" and then we'll roo along with it. Sometimes at our weekend greyhound runs we'll get them all going, too.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest kkaiser104

We have 5 greyhounds in the family between my parents and I, and ALL of them roo. Even the quiet boy will get started if the other roo. They actually just had a group roo going. The siberian husky and golden retriever have also learned. It's adorable! But pretty loud and sometimes happens at bad times. I wonder if Truman could learn from a group?

I wonder if Truman could learn from a group?

We tried at Gettysburg. It was funny and sad. He was just looking around with his ears perked, then looking back at me, like, "Have you all gone mad?!"

Eventually, he tried to kiss/biteyface rescue everyone he could get to.

Lilly doesn't roo either. She makes every other kind of dog noise, including the most high pitched, loud whine EVER, but not a roo. I know mine can, since I've heard them all do it. They don't do it very often and don't do it if we start it, only other dogs.

Whiskey has this funny kind of yodelling roo he does when he's greeting people. *I* think it's adorable though I'm sure non-dog people are concerned. Lilly also has the biggest, deepest bark of my four.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You've probably heard Tess roo at some point, since Doug thinks it's endlessly amusing to make her roo on command. And she will. Always, whether another dog starts it, or we start it. Lydia and Calvin look at her with complete disinterest---I've never heard either of them roo. But Polly will join in at some point with a ladylike half bark, half roo, as if she thinks it's kind to support her little sister.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Lilly also has the biggest, deepest bark of my four.

Truman too!! When people hear him bark, they can't believe such a deep, low bark came out of such a scrawny thing. :lol

Now, Henry's "bark" actually sounds like he's saying "roo!!" He's becoming more vocal in his old age.

Guest Doggone

The only time that Autumn Roos is while she's asleep :D! The first time it happened, it woke me up in a panic................I thought the smoke detector had gone off :D. By now, when it happens, I just go back to sleep :).

Btw, she has also barked more while sleeping than during the time I've had her (since last March). Strange dog, but what a wonderful one! <3

Edited by Doggone

Both of ours roo, though I think we'd had our girl for several months before she joined in.

For whatever reason, though they'll often roo if we or other dogs start it, the one thing that's guaranteed to get Merlin going is if one of his humans starts singing (an actual song). He immediately comes running to add his voice to the chorus, which gets Mina started too. Then the humans switch from singing to roo-ing. We probably have a family sing-along like this at least once a week - pretty sure the neighbors think we're :youcrazy.

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Guest psdirector

No rooing from either of our boys. Tibbs will bark and make sort-of whiney/ half-rooing sounds at dinner time. Tibbs and Hutch will whine and get worked up (lots of perked ears and heads moving in a "what IS that?" way) if they hear rooing greys on You Tube, so we avoid those.

Nando will roo only in his sleep. I've tried rooing at him but all he does is jump up and try to lick my face. He is a prolific barker though. When I come home I can here him barking as soon as I get out of the car. The doorbell and telephone will also set him off.

Guest Waterdog66

Audrey Roos only when she wants to and usually when she is excited or otherwise trying to attract someone's attention.

I have not had much luck getting her to Roo on Command ;)

Guest OPointyDog

Zoe roos in her sleep occasionally. I'd never heard Mika do it until we went to Grapehounds, and he joined in for the "group roo" after the blessing of the hounds. I was surprised but maybe he succumbed to the peer pressure. B)

Desi is 10 and I have never heard him roo.

I took him to Mountain Hounds (Gatlinburg, Tenn) in 2011, and thought sure the group roo would get him going.

Nope......he just looked around like WTH?

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.