Fence Question

Guest davijr84

Guest davijr84

Hi all,

We just adopted our first grey on Sunday, and he's been doing excellent thus far. We live in a townhouse with a decent-sized fenced yard (approx. 1/4 acre). Our HOA allows a maximum fence height of 4', which we currently have in the form of a stockade fence.

The first several times we let out the new guy, I walked with him on the leash in the yard. Now I've been letting him out off leash in the yard, and he's been fine. He typically does his business and comes back inside.

Running along the length of our yard is a walking trail that many kids play and bike on, and people walk their dogs along. A couple of times, he has gone over to the fence and gone up on his hind legs to see what was going on- our foster's told us he loves attention from other people and dogs when they walked him so I'm assuming he just wants to be petted and play with others.

Every time he's done this, I've been right there with him and given him a stern no and pulled him down in an effort to correct him.

Is there anything else I can do that anyone can recommend, any tips/tricks that have worked for others in this situation, or should I just keep correcting him when he does this and hope he learns it's not acceptable? Thanks!

You may not be able to train this out of him. It's going to take some time and patience and perseverance on your part. You may ultimately need to resort to a negative reinforcer like a squirt gun/bottle. Alternatively, you might consider putting something along that side of the fence to discourage him from doing this - something like big rocks so he can't get close enough to jump up on it.

This behavior may also just get better over time as he gets used to the activity. However, every greyhound I've had has done this when they get excited and I've not yet been successful in getting them to stop, especially when people come up to the fence to visit.

Hopefully, better trainers here will have better suggestions!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest davijr84

Are you worried about the fence getting scratched, or about him escaping? I'm not real sure what the problem is?

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer...I'm worried about him deciding to jump the fence.

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer...I'm worried about him deciding to jump the fence.

Ahhh, okay. I can only speak from experience with my two boys, but one gets up on his hind legs ALL THE TIME at our fence (also 4 foot). He's never come close to jumping over it. I've heard of galgos jumping fences, and everyone once in awhile, a reaaally determined grey. But even then, they'd need a running start. I doubt they could get the upper body strength to pull themselves over while standing. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Guest davijr84

You may not be able to train this out of him. It's going to take some time and patience and perseverance on your part. You may ultimately need to resort to a negative reinforcer like a squirt gun/bottle. Alternatively, you might consider putting something along that side of the fence to discourage him from doing this - something like big rocks so he can't get close enough to jump up on it.

This behavior may also just get better over time as he gets used to the activity. However, every greyhound I've had has done this when they get excited and I've not yet been successful in getting them to stop, especially when people come up to the fence to visit.

Hopefully, better trainers here will have better suggestions!

Thanks- I'm hoping that some quick no's and correction will solve it, but I guess we'll see...

Ahhh, okay. I can only speak from experience with my two boys, but one gets up on his hind legs ALL THE TIME at our fence (also 4 foot). He's never come close to jumping over it. I've heard of galgos jumping fences, and everyone once in awhile, a reaaally determined grey. But even then, they'd need a running start. I doubt they could get the upper body strength to pull themselves over while standing. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, good to know someone else has experienced this, I'll keep an eye on him and try correcting.

Guest WhiteWave

I don't know if you HOA would allow it, but I saw someone who put "windows" in their stockade fence so their dog could look out. It was really cute.

36508_10200767229001715_561534641_n.jpg

Also they said they drilled a couple holes in the window so their dog could smell too.

Guest davijr84

I don't even know if it's worth it to correct him, especially in these very early stages of ownership. Once he gets used to commotion regularly going on outside, he'll probably just get used to it and stop jumping on his own.

I hope so, but I think he does it b/c he wants people to come over and pet/pay attention to him.

Change the fence to one he can see thru and he will have no need to jump on it to see whats going on.

He can see what's going on currently, but like I said above, I think it's that he wants the attention on him lol.

I don't know if you HOA would allow it, but I saw someone who put "windows" in their stockade fence so their dog could look out. It was really cute.

Also they said they drilled a couple holes in the window so their dog could smell too.

That's hilarious, I don't think we can get away with something like that though. I'll just see how it goes, I don't think he's interested in jumping over the fence, moreso just wanting people to come to him and give him attention...

Thanks all for the suggestions