Sara - 9/2/00 - 7/29/13

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I'm sorry this is so long but it was hard to condense 11 years together.

She almost made it to 13. I wanted so badly for her to make it to 13 but her time on this earth was done. She put up a good fight. Actually, a greyt fight! We've been through a lot together and I miss her more than words can express. She was our first greyhound. The one who introduced us to this wonderful world and we’ve made so many amazing friends along the way.

It was about 11 years ago that my then fiance (now my DH) and I went on vacation together to visit his family in Italy. On the way home we decided to spend a couple of days in London. I will never forget the first time I saw a greyhound in person! They were on the corner by a pharmacy in London. 2 of them with their owners. We went over to talk to them and that was it! The couple was so proud of their greyhounds and more than willing to answer all of our questions. I found out that they were couch potatoes! And more importantly, that a lot of them were good with cats.

When we returned home, my search started! I wasn't even living with my fiance yet. I was planning my big trip, moving from NY to St. Louis. We had just bought a condo and we'd be moving in together. I had a cat but DH wanted a dog. He wanted a little dog but after seeing a greyhound and doing some more research, I wanted a greyhound! It was easy to convince him of the same. I searched petfinder and found a wonderful group in St. Louis. I think I even put in my application before I had made the move!

It was the end of October and we were ready to adopt and we had gotten approved. I remember going to the vet where Rescued Racers kept their greyhounds after they came off the track. They had a ton of kennels and a nice backyard for turnouts where we would meet the dogs. One after another we met so many dogs! DH wanted a small girl. I was ok with whoever but to make DH happy, decided to get a girl too. I remember walking inside through the kennels and seeing this pretty red and white dog but I didn't pay her any attention because she had a hold on her pending cat testing. So, we had narrowed it down and chose a small black girl named Silky. I wanted to meet her one more time so I went back to the vet to see her. I will never forget this day! I was sitting there, with Silky on the lead - she was wandering around, checking things out when all of a sudden, out of the back room comes this spunky red and white dog. She was going home with her foster mom after she sort of failed the cat testing. She was cat correctable but not cat safe. She came bouncing out of the back, came right up towards me and but her head on my chest!!! She looked up at me into my eyes and that was it. Sara had chosen me.

We took Sara home on November 6th, 2002. She had just turned 2 years old. She had never raced. We don’t know why but we always joked that she had ADD or that she ran backwards or into the stands because she wanted a cookie! She was also the only dog of her litter (or marked of her litter). She was a crazy greyhound! She also had soft bunny fur. We thought it might have been puppy fuzz but nope, it wasn’t. Everyone who has ever met Sara has commented on her soft bunny fur. I miss that. As I mentioned, she was cat correctable. Luckily, I had a mean cat who put her in her place within 5 minutes of being in the house. She was then cat safe!

Sara has been through a lot over the years. It started with her drug overdose in June of 2003. FYI – child proof advil does not equal dog proof advil! I have no idea how many she ate, if any at all, but we rushed her to the e-vet and had her stomach pumped just to be safe. Sara had a stomach of steel though. She ate a whole bag of oreos (which, thank goodness, doesn’t have too much real chocolate in it), a pan of leftover meatball grease and many other things but nothing affected her.

Sara trained several foster dogs. Most of them were boys and she would whip them into shape!!! I remember one poor boy running from her! She was, well, a little bossy. She was also a barker. Whoever said that greyhounds don’t bark never met Sara! During group roo’s, she’d be the one in the back barking away! She would bark orders at me and my husband but we wouldn’t have it any other way. One of the last fosters we took in was a girl name Hailey. She put up with Sara’s bossiness and basically ignored her. I knew we had to keep her! So, Sara had a new sister and they were inseparable for 8 years until we lost Hailey in 2010 to osteo.

As I said, Sara and I have been through a lot. When I first got her, she wanted to be alpha. When we were alone at night (my husband worked nights sometimes) she would sit on the couch and nip at me. Thanks to the advice of a wonderful friend, all I had to do was grab her snot and yell “NO!” once, and she realized that I was top dog, although, not by much! Sara also had issues with my husband. I’ve heard over and over again that dogs aren’t spiteful but Sara was the exception. She used to pee on my husband’s side of the bed. For years. We tried everything to get her to stop but I loved snuggling with her at night. And she would only do it on his side. NEVER on mine. She would sleep on his side, pee and then move over.

Sara has been my rock through the years. When I got her I wasn’t even 30 years old. She was with me through getting married, having 3 kids and moving half way across the country. When my kids were born, she was momma dog. The night we brought my first son home, she guarded our room. Instead of sleeping on our bed that night or at the foot of our bed on her doggy bed, she slept in our doorway and no one could get in. She was also always the first one to his side when he cried. She was very protective of him and again of the twins when they came.

In February 2010, I almost lost her. I had noticed her back leg/butt cheek was getting bigger but seeing her every day, it was really big by the time I realized it was an issue. It was cancer. Liposarcoma. We only had 2 options so we decided to amputate. We couldn’t even think of the other option. She was 10 at the time but she was still a puppy at heart and I knew she could overcome this and she did. She was amazing on 3 legs. Even faster than before! She would still do zoomies around the house and back yard and sometimes people didn’t even notice she only had 3 legs! I thought we had our run of cancer for the year but then we lost Hailey right after Dewey.

Sara was depressed after we lost Hailey. I felt so bad for her. She was sad and we were sad and she didn’t know how to make us better. She was one of the reasons we knew we had to adopt again. So, as a family with Sara in the back seat, we went to the kennel to adopt another dog! The group had a meeting area that was fenced in. Sara sat there like the queen greeting her subjects as she met one dog after another. The ladies there still talk about her to this day! She was like that, always one to make an impression!!! She helped us chose Sonny.

For the next 2 years, Sara taught Sonny everything she knew. From stealing off the table when no one was looking to barking! She showed him around Dewey and they experienced Grapehounds together for the first time.

Sara was doing so well after her amputation. For 2 ½ years she was unstoppable. I have a video of her from this past winter – she was doing zoomies in the snow! Of course, then she came inside and I had to carry her up the stairs but she had a heck of a time. She loved fresh snow. Last month, I knew something wasn’t right. She wasn’t able to get around like she used to and she was dragging her back leg. The vet diagnosed her with LS. I was so upset at first but thanks to wonderful greyhound people, I knew it wasn’t a death sentence for her. She got a cortisone shot and had her first acupuncture treatment. It all seemed to help. She got the ok from our vet to go to Grapehounds so off we went. We had a WONDERFUL weekend together. Me, my mom, her and Sonny. She got to see some of her old friends and spent time lounging with Sonny’s cousins, Fred and Ginger. She was always such a social butterfly and that weekend was no different. I told her several times that weekend, as I always did, how much I loved her and loved being with her. I also had a talk with her. I knew she wasn’t as good as she used to be. I told her it was ok for her to leave me. She was my best friend but I told her she could go. I told her I would be ok. I said it thinking I still had a lot more time with her but her body had a different plan and the vet thinks the cancer came back. My husband and I let her go last Monday.

Every time I cry, and I day hasn’t gone by that I haven’t, I feel like I’m letting her down. I told her it was ok but, she knew me and she knew how I would be. Someday, I will smile and laugh every time I think of her but I can’t just yet.

She was my first dog. My first greyhound. My Sara Marie, Sara cocola, Queen Sara, Sa-sa, Sara supermodel. My best friend and I miss her.

I can't figure out how to edit the title but obviously, the last date should be 2013 and not 2000. :(

I'm so very sorry. I remember seeing her just last week at Grapehounds. She was absolutely beautiful.

:f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Christine, I am so very sorry. That was a great tribute to a brave soul. She was very special and I remember her amputation well. Truly very sorry she has left.

Run free Sara, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so very sorry. Your tribute for her was as beautiful as she was. I, too, had a female that took no prisoners and I lost her quickly and without warning. The void is palpable. I am still waiting to see who she picks for me next. She did teach my others how to bark, bless her heart. Hugs to you as you enter the next phase.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so very sorry :( :( :( Our Rainey was white and fawn/red and had the same extra soft bunny fur.

sending hugs. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute captures the beauty of Sara and the amazing time you had together. Hold fast to those memories, and she will be with you always.

Run free beautiful Sara.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

What a beautiful tribute to your special girl. I'm glad to have met her at Grapehounds these past two years. She was always so full of spunk. I'm so glad that you were able to have some one-on-one time with her before she crossed the bridge too.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Oh....I'm so sorry :weep . Just hang in there-its all you can do right now. Hard to see anything through tears. A most beautiful and moving tribute.
This is from a bridge baby-I hope it comforts you:

"The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But I promise you that your pain will subside over time, and our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but our love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and I promise you will feel better."

************************************************************************************************************************

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7 :f_pink:f_pink:f_red:f_pink:f_pink:gh_lay

I'm so sorry. Your tribute definitely shows the love that you had for your sweet girl.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I'm so sorry. It seems the longer the chapter the harder it is to say g'bye. What wonderful memories you created together. :grouphug

Godspeed beautiful Sara.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. What a wonderful story to read. I had a girl with a very similar personality...bossy and barky...and the best friend in the world. I know how much you are missing her right now. I'll bet very soon you will receive a sign from her. Sending prayers for your hearts to heal.

:f_pink

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

I'm so sorry she had to leave you when you loved her so very much.

Godspeed, precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute shows how deep your connection with her is.

Run free, Sara

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)