Slo

Guest bellenzo

Guest bellenzo

Well it's been a while since I have posted here, but check in every now and then and I know its one of the best places for information. Anyway, one of my greyhounds was just diagnosed with SLO. I did a search on the site to see if there were any threads to avoid duplicating a discussion, but apparently it won't search for three-letter words. (Or I did something wrong.) Any experience with this out there? One of the nails is separating and seems very painful. It will be removed tomorrow under sedation. Vet said there are a few options, all of them fairly expensive. Thanks for any information.

First off-why remove the nail?? Ouch. The nail will (the horny growth) will fall off on its own or a firm tug will remove it--it will bleed and you may need to wrap it or use a baby sock for a few days.. Not sure why your vet feels there are only expensive options to control the condition. There are a few treatment protocols but, basically the most common one is EFA's, niacinamide (B-3) and tetracycline (or doxy which you can get from a compounding pharmacy--Wedgewood is one). Some dogs need a short course of a corticosteroid to immediately reduce the inflammation. One other drug that can be used is pentoxifylline. I might suggest you seek out a dermatologist that will give you better advice.

My girl has SLO. All but tone of her nails fell out on their own. Yes, she did hurt when the nails loosened up but she hurt even more after the one the vet removed. You have to do what you think is right but my girl lost every single one of her 18 nails. Would have hated for her to have to go to the vet, get sedated, have the nail pulled & then deal with the additional pain each she had a loose nail. Please understand, I am not trying to be critical. Am just thinking of the experience with my own dog. After the for 6 nails or so the shedding became less painful. For the most part when the nails came off by themselves there was little to no blood. The one the vet pulled off bled profusely & required a pressure bandage for about 24 hrs.

Was there pain for her. Yes, we used meloxicam, tramadol & gabapentin. The gabapentin was more for her back right leg where there is nerve damage. I worked to keep her nails as short as possible. Clippers caused additional pain but careful grinding with a Dremel was tolerated on nails that were not already separating or just starting to separate. This really helped her a lot as it limited the pain of walking when those nails started to separate.

We followed the treatment protocol tbhounds mentioned. It was not expensive & put the SLO into remission, mostly. Her nails don't shed anymore unless I let one get too long. The nails come off more easily if she really digs in while running. It's only happened twice since the initally flare up. Some nails do grow strangely. Her feet do not seem to pain her.

Have you read the information on the Grassmere website? http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

Guest bellenzo

Thanks for all of your help. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "expensive". I think the vet meant that in regard to the doxycycline, which would be temporary and if he should need further treatment. Right now I think I will just do the vitamins and niacinimine and see what happens. Thanks again.